PDA

View Full Version : scrog

Fluffy bud
25-09-11, 11:19 PM
will doing a scrog give me more bud what do u think?

Forest
25-09-11, 11:21 PM
yes you utilise the space you have far better with a scrog

DKD
26-09-11, 03:35 AM
I've never tried/used the scrog technique.
To be honest, I have no idea how it works or what to do.

I've seen a few pictures on it but to me, it seems a little restrictive if you need to tend to something at pot level.

Woody J
26-09-11, 10:11 AM
Weather a SCROG is a more efficient use of your space or not depends on how big your space is and what light you are using.
The overriding factor for me was touched on by Darknighted when he mentions access underneath the canopy. It is actually can you reach the far end of the screen!

If your space is less than 3ft deep (the length most people can reach) and you have limited height, a SCROG will probably be more efficient than standard shaped plants.

The benefit of SCROGs comes through with restricted space and is a great way of maximising potential with low plant numbers.

The key to making SCROG's work is to make sure that when flowering starts, you keep the tops of all the cola's an even height and do not let one start to dominate. If you do, you are negating the whole reason that makes SCROG's so good.
This is because the plant sends out a hormone to the highest cola, making it bigger. This is why top colas are always the biggest.
So, if all the buds are at the same height, they all get the hormone, which makes them ALL bigger than they would otherwise be.

As for access underneath the canopy, at pot level, this is not a problem when done correctly since you trim away any foliage underneath the canopy since it will not get any light. This makes access easy.
The key is making sure the cola's are all an even height, trim the foliage and make sure you can reach the furthest part of your screen. Do these things in a height restricted area and there is no better way of maximising yield from low plant numbers I am aware of. My favourite method when coupled with DWC.
W

Alzy
26-09-11, 10:57 AM
Woody you mention trimming leaves to level the tops so ther all the same height.
Do you mean for each plant or for the whole set up?
Does trimming leaves increase or decrease growth?
Cheers for any answers given.
I'll be bugging you later woody as I want to do a small DWC and I think your the man to talk too, mentor maybe?

Fluffy bud
26-09-11, 01:59 PM
Weather a SCROG is a more efficient use of your space or not depends on how big your space is and what light you are using.
The overriding factor for me was touched on by Darknighted when he mentions access underneath the canopy. It is actually can you reach the far end of the screen!

If your space is less than 3ft deep (the length most people can reach) and you have limited height, a SCROG will probably be more efficient than standard shaped plants.

The benefit of SCROGs comes through with restricted space and is a great way of maximising potential with low plant numbers.

The key to making SCROG's work is to make sure that when flowering starts, you keep the tops of all the cola's an even height and do not let one start to dominate. If you do, you are negating the whole reason that makes SCROG's so good.
This is because the plant sends out a hormone to the highest cola, making it bigger. This is why top colas are always the biggest.
So, if all the buds are at the same height, they all get the hormone, which makes them ALL bigger than they would otherwise be.

As for access underneath the canopy, at pot level, this is not a problem when done correctly since you trim away any foliage underneath the canopy since it will not get any light. This makes access easy.
The key is making sure the cola's are all an even height, trim the foliage and make sure you can reach the furthest part of your screen. Do these things in a height restricted area and there is no better way of maximising yield from low plant numbers I am aware of. My favourite method when coupled with DWC.
W

thanks woody I'll be doing 4 plants in 20 litre air pots in a 1.2 x1.2 budbox only thing that I think will be a problem is when there's run of how would get the acces water out of the trays

Woody J
26-09-11, 04:50 PM
To clarify for Alzy,
Once a plant reaches the screen and you start tucking the leaves/branches under the mesh, there will still be foliage lower down.
Initially, leave it since branches will form and these can be incorporate into the SCROG.
However, once the foliage on the canopy starts blocking the light to the is lower foliage, trin these leaves off. Not the branches, just the leaves. They will die anyway and you dont want the plant sending energy to them to try and save them.
This makes access easier and it makes the most of the available light.
I actually think this adds to yield since the plant is not trying to save leaves that are lacking light and will yellow and die anyway.
The important part here is air movement under the canopy. This is essential to stop mould once the plant is heavily into bud.

PM me about mentoring.

If using air pots (I have not used them for SCROGging) I would recommend getting one of those growbag drip trays and putting something underneath it so the pots are on a slight slope. NOT the plants, you want them all even.
If on a slope, access water can be syphoned off quite easily.
I used to use an old table with the legs cut to give me a slope when SCROGging in coco. I just drilled a hole in the drip tray and had a bucket underneath. It caught the runoff no problem.
You should get really good results using air pots and SCROGging, something I may try one day.

Hope this helps guys. W

Goodbuddy
21-05-12, 10:19 AM
Out of date Question.
Been Answered.
Closing off.