PDA

View Full Version : EC reading???

Uncle Albert
16-10-11, 08:37 PM
Hi Peeps :stoned-smilie:

A quick question for them that know!!!

I have just set up a Wilma system put it all together washed my clay through in the bags then put them in the pots filled the system & switched on the pump I let it run for a few hours drained the tank down refilled the tank with fresh water & let it sit for 24hours then done my PH levels got them at 6.1.

Then I checked my EC levels just out of curiosity & I'm getting a reading of 0.4!!!!!
How is this possible when I have not added any nutrients????

Sorry if I'm being thick but can someone enlighten me please :smokie:

craiggiebob
16-10-11, 08:44 PM
U need to re calibrate ur EC meter mate

The Fringe
16-10-11, 08:45 PM
The 0.4 reading is the base ec of your water.

If I remember correctly, it has been a while since I did hydro lol, you have to take this into account when mixing your res.

I used to let the water sit for 24 hrs, then add nutes till I got the ec I Wanted (taking into account the base reading, so if I wanted an ec of 1.4, I took it upto 1.8. 0.4 being the water only, plus the 1.4 I actually wanted), & then adjusted the ph of the res.

TF

Uncle Albert
16-10-11, 08:49 PM
U need to re calibrate ur EC meter mate

Brand new meter calibrated about 2 hours ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Albert
16-10-11, 08:50 PM
The 0.4 reading is the base ec of your water.

If I remember correctly, it has been a while since I did hydro lol, you have to take this into account when mixing your res.

I used to let the water sit for 24 hrs, then add nutes till I got the ec I Wanted (taking into account the base reading, so if I wanted an ec of 1.4, I took it upto 1.8. 0.4 being the water only, plus the 1.4 I actually wanted), & then adjusted the ph of the res.

TF

I get you so my tap water is coming from the good old waterboard @ 0.4 ???

craiggiebob
16-10-11, 08:53 PM
Have u tried testin the water straight from the tap?

The Fringe
16-10-11, 08:57 PM
I get you so my tap water is coming from the good old waterboard @ 0.4 ???

Yep, you got it ;)

TF

Uncle Albert
16-10-11, 08:59 PM
Have u tried testin the water straight from the tap?

Ha ha I thought that after I locked up doh!!!!

I will test it in the morning after inspection.

Cheers...

ChuChu
16-10-11, 09:05 PM
Yeah i have a background reading of 0.4 mate, make sure you add it into your feed so you dont underfeed..
Try and get the ph down to 5.5 when soaking clay balls overnight..

Uncle Albert
16-10-11, 09:12 PM
Yeah i have a background reading of 0.4 mate, make sure you add it into your feed so you dont underfeed..
Try and get the ph down to 5.5 when soaking clay balls overnight..

Ok cheers so I should have my tank ph @ 5.5 all the time?

Alzy
16-10-11, 09:26 PM
Here's a chart I use:
Good luck with the WILMA it's a blinding system if you get it all correct.

Alzy
16-10-11, 09:27 PM
Sorry if pics not clear but I got it from a sticky on here

ChuChu
16-10-11, 09:31 PM
Ok cheers so I should have my tank ph @ 5.5 all the time?

This is my first hydro grow so i believe you need to get them stabe at the lowest your gonna have it to stop it rising too quick through the grow..
During the grow you need to set it at 5.4 then let it rise to 6.4 to make sure the plant gets the nutes available at different stages.
Certain nutes are only available at certain points..
There is a ph chart on here somewhere showing what nutes the plant can absorb at what ph..

up2nogood
16-10-11, 09:38 PM
Hi Peeps :stoned-smilie:

A quick question for them that know!!!

I have just set up a Wilma system put it all together washed my clay through in the bags then put them in the pots filled the system & switched on the pump I let it run for a few hours drained the tank down refilled the tank with fresh water & let it sit for 24hours then done my PH levels got them at 6.1.

Then I checked my EC levels just out of curiosity & I'm getting a reading of 0.4!!!!!
How is this possible when I have not added any nutrients????

Sorry if I'm being thick but can someone enlighten me please :smokie:

yeah the 0.4 will be your background ec..Try to keep your ec under 1.2 all the way through veg/flower,if the plants look a bit pale add a tiny amount of nutes.PH should be around 5.5 to 5.6 and drifting to around 6.2.

Uncle Albert
16-10-11, 10:02 PM
yeah the 0.4 will be your background ec..Try to keep your ec under 1.2 all the way through veg/flower,if the plants look a bit pale add a tiny amount of nutes.PH should be around 5.5 to 5.6 and drifting to around 6.2.

Thank you people for all your replies what a top forum so pleased I found it.
Maybe I should do a grow dairy on my first grow.

Alzy
16-10-11, 10:47 PM
Maybe you should.