PDA

View Full Version : Root-it root sponges

doctor gonz0
18-10-11, 12:02 PM
I want to germinate 10 seeds using the Root it root sponges and was wondering how long they will need to stay in the propogator before moving them to my drip fed system?

Thanks in advance.

Dr G..

wert
18-10-11, 12:09 PM
a propergator is really only necessary for cuttings that need rooting.
you can take them out as soon as the first set of leaves have opened,do not leave them in too high a humidity for too long.

doctor gonz0
18-10-11, 12:22 PM
By the first set of leaves do you mean the first proper set of leaves, not the seed leaves?

Apologies if that is a daft question.

Dr G..

wert
18-10-11, 12:31 PM
as soon as the cotyledon leaves have opened she is photosynthesising ,uncovering them will encourage the roots to work and search for moisture.
i do not use a prop for seeds just a bit of cling film until the seed has popped through.

doctor gonz0
18-10-11, 12:38 PM
just a bit of cling film until the seed has popped through.

Laid directly on top of the rooting tray?

Dr G..

wert
18-10-11, 01:19 PM
Laid directly on top of the rooting tray?

Dr G..

correct...........it just keeps moisture in and stops the top soil getting dry too quickly.

Woody J
18-10-11, 06:30 PM
Slight differing views here guys.
Seedlings do not need high humidity.
I never use a propagator for seeds, only clones, which DO need high humidity.

I am not a fan of root it cubes for seedlings, I find they hold moisture too easily in hydro systems. Rockwool is much better. If indending to go into soil, I will use Root It cubes.
Soil drying is a good thing, it forces the plant to grow more roots. Also, algae can grow on the top of soil. It doesnt harm the plant but can look nasty.

W

wert
18-10-11, 09:14 PM

W

differing views from whom ?

lil rasta
18-10-11, 09:25 PM
jesus maybe

doctor gonz0
19-10-11, 01:23 AM
correct...........it just keeps moisture in and stops the top soil getting dry too quickly.

TBH, I was specifically talking about using the rooting sponges (also called rapid rooters and root riots) and tansfering to a Wilma drip system with clay pebbles.If you got any info on that, then much appreciated. Cheers though bud :)

Dr G..

doctor gonz0
19-10-11, 01:43 AM

I am not a fan of root it cubes for seedlings, I find they hold moisture too easily in hydro systems. Rockwool is much better. If indending to go into soil, I will use Root It cubes.
Soil drying is a good thing, it forces the plant to grow more roots. Also, algae can grow on the top of soil. It doesnt harm the plant but can look nasty.

W

Don't know much about rockwool. Will read up on it tomorrow and get back. Maybe should've posted this in the novice section. Any Mod feel free to move it.

Cheers WJ

Dr G..

wert
19-10-11, 08:28 AM
TBH, I was specifically talking about using the rooting sponges (also called rapid rooters and root riots) and tansfering to a Wilma drip system with clay pebbles.If you got any info on that, then much appreciated. Cheers though bud :)

Dr G..

regardless what you use to germinate your seeds be it root riot,jiffy,rockwool or seedling compost you need to keep the top moist by either spraying or covering until the seed cracks.the seed needs to be in a warm moist enviroment to germinate.