PDA

View Full Version : Flowering period for hydroponics n.f.t

smokingfreddie
18-10-11, 03:37 PM
Hi all , been checking out some of the post here and was confused as to the length of time for flowering in hydroponics n.f.t, i thought this was a quicker process rather than soil. Got one original cheese and one bigger bug , grew from seeds, 1 week into flowering now, 8" tall right now, anyone no how long these will take in this nft . ?........

mellowed
18-10-11, 03:41 PM
The flowering period does not change regardless of what your growing in mate.

smokingfreddie
18-10-11, 03:45 PM
Ok, that's surprising, i think a lot of people seem to think it is quicker, even my local grow shop convinced me this nft would cut 2 weeks of the time, now im beginning to think they have worked one over me selling a nft system instead of what i originally ask for , pots and soil.......

cocogrower
18-10-11, 03:57 PM
It can bring your Veg time down a week or 2 to get it the same desired size compared to dirt. As mellowed says, Once flowering it doesnt matter what growing medium you use it will take as long as any other medium.

Woody J
18-10-11, 06:24 PM
I disagree with the guys here.
For a good while, I shared clones, seeds etc with a friend, he grows in either soil or coco and does the whole organnic thing. Same lighting, same sized space.
I am usually in DWC and consistantly on a 9 week flowering strain, I will be at least a week ahead of him. My space had better air movement and air exchange but I would say the difference is the hydro, not the substrate since I have donw wilma style grows in hydro that have been faster than his soil grows.

I have even done side by side grows with soil and hydro in the same space with the same clones and hydro is quicker, so it is not just the environment that makes it faster.

This is the main reason I prefer hydro, in my experience, it is quicker.
W

mellowed
18-10-11, 07:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^ I can't understand how it would affect the time of flowering an speed it up but I have come to trust woody and listen to his advise so if he thinks it is true then I would except that answer.

rustic
18-10-11, 07:37 PM
I think you do get it done a week or so quicker than the "Schedules" with NFT. I have seen plants left to the schedule look dire and should have pulled at least a week before!

Woody J
19-10-11, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words Mellowed, it is appreciated.

I am not 100% sure why it happens since if you think about it, in soil, the roots have to work to find the nutrition, in hydro it is delivered to them. This obviously means more of the nutrition is being used to build cell material for foliage, stems and flowers rather than looking for food.

All I can be sure about is I have done quite a few side by side runs with soil and hydro. I like being able to throw some beans in a cup with some soil and watch them grow but the explosive growth you get from DWC blows soil away if all goes well. All hydro can be tempremental and a dialled in grow room may be part of it. My rooms are usually dialled in for hydro so that could be part of the reason. I honestly dont know if a room can be dialled in for DWC say but not soil? Good question though!
W

Chupakabra
22-01-12, 05:22 PM
I only growing hydro for 1st time and im already having like million problems and same amount of questions :

Woody J
22-01-12, 07:02 PM
Chup, your best bet is to write your own thread in new growers section, details of your grow, the problems you have had and what the current state is.
If you have pics, post some, at least one of the effected area and one of the plant overall.
Give details of your setup and because you are in hydro, your EC & ph.
Most problems can be answered by reading through the various guides and threads but we will try to help, just make that post.
W

Icon
22-01-12, 07:28 PM
Well I just glanced down and was surprised to hear folks saying the flowering is the same
Luckily Woody has got here because Im defo gonna tell you its quicker then Soil for flowering
eg Bubblegum in NFT hydro 6 to 7 weeks MAX at 12/12 not from flowering thats 42 days at 12/12 and much longer your gonna get bud rot setting in
thats just one example for you but generally its a week or 2 less depending on the strain

They will take about 8 to 9 weeks at 12/12 approx if they are the real deal if not they could be anything so get reading up to make sure you give them the best attention to what is happening as they flower
8" is very small for a plant to be in flower so you must be rushing things try and be prepared for things before they happen
Have you sexed the plants
Have you taken cuttings

brandylorton
22-05-12, 06:28 PM
As well as i think it will take about time of 7 to 8 weeks and will be ready within that time for the flowering. Actually now your plant is too small to exactly predict it but we can have only guess here.

Goodbuddy
05-01-13, 03:20 AM
Funny what interesting things you come across when tidying up threads a bit....

I'd like to add into the mix that the root sytems in soil and hydro are a quite a bit different in structure.

soil roots develop with a more 'dependant on symbiosis' bent and can only really feed at the rate the friendlies deliver it up. (they can still drink a bit regardless mindst)

hydro developed roots don't necessarily need this level of symbiosis, a good osmotic system takes precedence, so when the plant needs to feed....its there pronto, as much as needed in a well maintained reservoir, so there is no delay in delivery of the goodies a plant need at any given stage. Especially in those 2,5,7 week bursts of bud growth. So the natural maturity process happens quicker.

This is also the reason that you spot problems way quicker in hydro, if nutes are lacking or the res is off it shows quicker, often too bloody quick.

And then, in hydro you can get a proper flush out with plain water (it's nigh on impossible in soil if you really think about it) ,which gets the signal to finish straight to the plant as there is nothing but herself to feed on, which is the 'Stressing' at the end people often get confused about :)

mellowed
05-01-13, 01:37 PM
Good post good buddy.

turns out I was wrong a few posts up.

Having been playing with a dwc plant lately, I have noticed that it was ahead in development than the plants I had in soil never mind bigger, bushier and the yeild was gonna smash all my soil grows ever out of the park.

Goodbuddy
05-01-13, 01:55 PM
Not wrong at all fella! It's an obvious assumption to make.

But it makes you wonder if a lot of these stated flowering periods are based on hydro (and perhaps with cuttings?)

And now you've got me thinking about the genetic-memory of the plants that originally from climates that get monsoons, and if that has a causal effect on finishing them off naturally that we can somehow pick up on. :confused:

mellowed
05-01-13, 01:58 PM
That's more than likely mate. They ain't gonna grow them in soil and get the best from them.