PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D grow lights, the new growers choice?

stealthbudz
02-11-11, 09:11 PM
Hey guys, I've been looking at a couple of diary's that are using L.E.D grow lights and they seem to be coming more and more popular. Grow lights such as compact fluorescents are quite cheap at around £20 for 125 watt but I was looking up the price for L.E.D boards and there £20 for something like 14watts. So why are they so good to use?

The Lost Soul
02-11-11, 09:30 PM
Use the search option mate, there's tonnes of threads on the subject.
Lots of peeps here grow with LED lighting and get great results.
Cheers

stealthbudz
02-11-11, 09:36 PM
The search option doesn't work very well, couldn't find anything on them really. If the word you searched for is in a thread just once it will show you the thread. so you get way too many results.

Anonymiss
02-11-11, 10:10 PM
And LED (which is what most people use instead of 'L.E.D.') is three characters, search needs at least four.

fluorescents are quite cheap at around £20 for 125 watt
Don't look at the Wattage, look at the output. Fluorescents are very poor compared to HPS. They typically give around half the light output per Watt of input compared to HPS. Only use them if you have a compelling reason to do so.

GBK
02-11-11, 10:14 PM
The cheap LED grow lights on the market are ridiculously underpowered. On Ebay right now, you can find dozens of LED grow light panels in which each individual LED light is rated at 0.06 Watts. So in a typical 225 LED panel of red and blue, you end up with a total power consumption of about 14 Watts. Sounds great right? Not so fast - you see, these units are good for maybe 1 square foot at a distance of less than 6 inches. Does that describe your growing space? Not likely.
Take a typical growing space of 5x5 feet or 25 square feet . . . if you bought the above light, you would need at least 12 of these units to effectively cover the space. And that is assuming you don't want to grow anything over a few inches tall

The Lost Soul
02-11-11, 10:23 PM
Advanced search for 'search thread only' and then 'LED Lighting' and I get all threads with LED in the Title.
There has been a spate of threads on the same subject recently and the same old, same old gets said for and against.
Cheers
Edit - There's an L.E.D debate thread as well.

doobi
07-11-11, 01:45 PM
I have a pannel and only use it for veging as a fill in light,there are some on the market with a higher watts but they will cost lots.