PDA

View Full Version : Pot size (plant "pot" that is!)

joro
08-11-11, 04:05 PM
Just wondering if I could grab a bit of advice on plant pot size. I am currently growing 4 x 10L pots in a 0.8 x 0.6 x 1.6m space. The four round pots take up a large part of the base but I think if I upped them to 15L square pots they would probably just fit, there are plenty of pics of the space in my diary in my sig (not too many pages to trawl through).

The question is would the increase in yield be worth increasing the pot sizes? When I first got the 10L pots I thought they looked pretty big, now with the plants getting taller I am starting to think they dont look big enough.

Woody J
08-11-11, 06:01 PM
Its a tough one to answer Joro.
In general, the bigger the pot, the bigger the plant. However, is that a good thing in a confined space? Probably not!
I have worked with small spaces of that size and tend to go with 1 or 2 plants in a SCROG. I normally use DWC but have used soil in SCROGs and they work just fine. I use the larger pots though, something like 18l I think.
10l would be fine for a shorter Sativa or if you just vegged until around 12" but once you go bigger than that, when flowering kicks in, you could have a potbound plant quite easily.
Knowing what sized pots to use for which types of plants in how big a space is something that comes with experience. I would say yes, larger pots make more sense but 4 in a 2ft x 2ft 8 space is only giving them 1sq ft of space each. If you go bigger, you may have to reduce plant numbers. Remember, more plants does not always mean more bud.
W

Friday
08-11-11, 07:24 PM
Hi mate. I use a Dr 90(90x90x180) tent with 3 plants in 15ltr pots and I think that this is abit too tight for space. I'd agree with Woody and only do 2 in ur space and just veg them for longer or do a scrog (I think I might try scroggin on my next grow)
Good luck mate. :)

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?54319-Fridays-Multi-Strain-Grow-Mentored-by-Dekay-!!

Earwig
08-11-11, 07:38 PM
What light are you growing under? There's no point squeezing massive pots in there and growing huge plants if you're only using a 250w CFL or something. Also, where are you growing? If in the garage\shed\loft etc.. you will probably need to stick a heater in there soon too.

e2a: I mean massive tall, not wide. I agree, SCRoGing a couple of plants would be a good idea, especially if you've got low light levels

babybud3232
08-11-11, 07:57 PM
Hi ya.... I think my space is that kinda size & i got two plants in & they more than fill it i topped both so multiple colas ,they are in 14l buckets under 400w hps vegged for 8wks+..... Good luck

joro
10-11-11, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the answers guys, I guess the reason why I have four plants in a space that size is because I wanted some variety to my Weed. I thought it would be good to grow four different strains meaning I would have four different types to chose from and I have chosed different strains that finish at different times to give me some space between my produce.

Yeah I guess there isnt a real hard answer to the question but the opinions were good, I think I might leave the early finishers in the same pots and when they are done I might put the later ones in larger pots as the space becomes emptier.