PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a ballast?

zigzag1331
12-11-11, 05:16 AM
I was thinking of switching to Metal Halide bulbs, but i dont wanna buy a ballast. So do i absolutely need a ballast?

babykayla
12-11-11, 05:17 AM
I would have to say yes to that...

babykayla
12-11-11, 05:20 AM
I recently got one 400w MH and HPS with the ballast and 1 MH and 1 HPS 400w bulb with a cheapy reflector for $169.00....

zigzag1331
12-11-11, 05:23 AM
Why do i need the ballast? What will happen if i dont use it?

VMAX
12-11-11, 05:34 AM
Why do i need the ballast? What will happen if i dont use it?

it wont light up fella

zigzag1331
12-11-11, 05:41 AM
My friend said he has a Metal Halide and it works without a ballast

VMAX
12-11-11, 06:41 AM
my friend said he could fly but he couldnt..

Woody J
12-11-11, 12:00 PM
A Metal Halide bulb is also known as a HID(High Intensity Discharge) bulb.
As such, it cannot run independantly from the mains, it need something to boost the current to produce enough electricity to make them work. IE, a ballast.

Oh, why did you not believe your friend? If you think about it, if you believed your friend, you wouldnt have asked the question here. Your friend was probably thinking about a different type of light, maybe a Halogen perhaps. It is easy to get confused with unfamiliar terms like these.
W

Grandad
12-11-11, 12:19 PM
candles won't grow weed either.

Strider
12-11-11, 01:29 PM
aye all forms of High Intensity Discharge lighting need a ballast unless theres one i haven't heard of, High Pressure Sodium & Metal Halide 100% need one, the ballast may vary in size depending what size/wattage the bulb itself is but you still need one, there is no way i know of to just plug a HPS/MH bulb into the mains and have it do anything,

Even fluro and CFL bulbs generally need ballasts, but their ballasts are a lot smaller and generally are part of the bulb unit/casing itself

what light is it your planning to switch to Metal Halide FROM btw?

Mr_Bimble
12-11-11, 01:57 PM
CFL's have built in ballasts & starters, if you take the base to bits next time one fails what you'll see is a series of U shaped FL tubes connected to a PCB that contains the ballasts & starters for each U of the bulb - this is why you can have a single U fail on a bulb and the rest work fine.

This is a miniturised version of the ballast you find in a normal FL tube batton (for T5, T8 & T12 tubes).

HID/HPS/MH bulbs come in two main types with/without internal igniters and most growlamps witll be the type that need a ballast with built in igniter but all need an external ballast to work - For safety & reliability you should match the wattage of the ballast & bulb.

All the HID ballasts I've come across will run HPS or MH bulbs but if you're buying one make sure you ask the question if you intend to use both types of bulb.

From personal experiance i've found that MH bulbs generate more heat than a HPS of the same wattage - so this time I'm trying a dual spectrum HPS for the entire grow.

zigzag1331
12-11-11, 04:09 PM
Thanks alot guys. Do you know how much ballast are sold for?
Also is there any other good growing bulb i can power without a ballast?

Icon
12-11-11, 04:18 PM
Listen mate you need to spend alot of time looking into this.
We can tell from your questions that you really dont have a clue what your doing?
It says you were thinking of switching? so what is your current setup?

Icon
12-11-11, 04:29 PM
Sorry missed the edit time...

Just seen your growing in a PC case which again asking these questions shows you have a lot to learn...
I am not having a go in anyway but you really have to study some more if you are going to get any results...
PC grows are very tough to get right due to all sorts of problems
There are a number of very good PC grow diaries on here in the diaries section
all that will happen if you dont do your research is that your grows will fail and you will never bother doing anything else.
Is there a reason your doing a PC grow as opposed to a little grow room this way it is far easier to manage the environment
Hope that helps

Alzy
12-11-11, 04:58 PM
Sunlight is best.
Digital ballasts are about £70-£150 but deals cam be found on fleabay.
Used a duel spec 600w HPS on last grow and found it ok.

stigof
12-11-11, 05:57 PM
Have a good read on the forums mate. Growing ones own bud is very unforgiving and can fuck up many diff ways. It says on the tin that a 1.2 x 1.2 mt tent is made for 8 plants well if so a 2 x 2 mt tent would be around 16!!!! wrong ...... I found 5/6 in 1mt and 10/12 in a 2 mt. ie mad as it sounds less plants more yeild. (thats what i found others may say diff)... But what ever you do or what others tell you YOU will need a ballest .... or two in your tent =2x light x 2 x ballest.. G/L

Winstun
13-11-11, 12:06 AM
Answer: Yes

End of, mate :)

Icon
13-11-11, 12:50 AM
Actually the correct answer is no you dont need a balast because your growing in a pc case and they wont be able to handle a HDI unit so no you dont need a ballast unless you change your environment...His question is Do I need a balast?

Winstun
13-11-11, 12:57 AM
Actually the correct answer is no you dont need a balast because your growing in a pc case and they wont be able to handle a HDI unit so no you dont need a ballast unless you change your environment...His question is Do I need a balast?

Ooops

Nail on the head there mate, yes you are sooooo correct Icon. MH+PC Case = charcoal :)

Sorry getting tired, overlooked that completly ;)

Strider
13-11-11, 01:01 AM
I feel sorry for PC growers.....i mean fair play there having a crack at it and all....but jesus christ! thats like 00.1% the size of my growroom :P

it would at least make a bit more sense in the 90's, where server cases were the size of a friggin TV :P

Icon
13-11-11, 01:03 AM
I cant help but think most PC grows are done by under 18s or seriously repressed adults

Winstun
13-11-11, 01:04 AM
I feel sorry for PC growers.....i mean fair play there having a crack at it and all....but jesus christ! thats like 00.1% the size of my growroom :P

it would at least make a bit more sense in the 90's, where server cases were the size of a friggin TV :P

Lol, i know what you mean Strider,

Hats off defo :mr:

must be such a ball ache, good on ya for trying :)

Mr Swilly
13-11-11, 01:07 AM

Laptop is where it's at so I've heard.

Strider
13-11-11, 01:08 AM
lol, iphone grow :P

maybe you can get a Nintendo 3DS and grow in the freaky extradimensional area, dwarf plant infinity shot :P

Icon
13-11-11, 01:08 AM
Laptop grows....Pmsl There was a thread on this a while back fecking hilarious 2 tics i will try n find it

Winstun
13-11-11, 01:09 AM
:rvmp: LMFAO Mr S

Now that would be one f-ing interesting Diary lol ;)

Icon
13-11-11, 01:11 AM
Here this is classic thc talk...
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?38482-TDA-s-1st-Laptop-grow.&highlight=laptop+grow

Mr Swilly
13-11-11, 01:13 AM
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?38482-TDA-s-1st-Laptop-grow.&highlight=laptop+grow

Great diary. I did suggest an external USB hard drive as a veg room, but he was having none of it.

zigzag1331
13-11-11, 03:48 AM
SO a mh wont work :(? whats about a hps

Alzy
13-11-11, 12:54 PM

Could only read the first page, hopefully missy gets it's a joke????

Think pc cases are getting smaller all the time and old decent ones are not about anymore(in the land fill).
I personally wouldn't bother with a pc case as a chest of draws or a cupboard is the minimum IMO.
What's the pc point?

Alzy
13-11-11, 12:58 PM
To the question asked 'do I need a ballast' I have an answer:
YES
If your using a MH. HD. HPS bulb
NO
If your using CFLs or any other typical household lightbulb.

Blue spectrum to grow
Red spectrum to flower. I use a mixture of both to flower.

zigzag1331
13-11-11, 06:53 PM
Im going to order my 125wat bulb today, but ive been told to just get the red 2700k since in a pc tower it wont be vegging for long since its so small, or should i just get the duel?

Diddydon
13-11-11, 07:01 PM
get the dual spec if ur only gonna use 1 bulb.. good luck.. u need to read thro the pc grow diarys etc

zigzag1331
13-11-11, 07:23 PM
duel spec? hmm now its between duel spec and red 2700k

babykayla
28-11-11, 03:47 PM
The best plants I have come across for a pc case grow (imo) are the 60 day wonder from herbies, these suckers are small and yield about an oz+ per plant, I am half way through my grow and they are at 7" with no lst whatsoever AND I have had 18 bud sites on there since week 3 (they came in quick too)....