PDA

View Full Version : Waterfarm Reservoir Temps

Talpa
13-11-11, 11:06 AM
OK guys need a bit of help and want to pick your brains.

I need all suggestions on how to lower my res temps in my farm.

Facts.

1 x 1 x 2 Secret Jardin Tent
5" Outake
5" Intake blowing onto waterfarm and over top of waterfarm

Tent Temp 27
Outside Tent Room Temp 23
Canopy Temp 24
Waterfarm Res Temp 22
Outside Ambient Temp 20-22

Now i've frozen PH water and put ice in there as a temporary measure but with such high ambient temp im struggling.

I've had the outake by the bulb to take heat straight away but hot air still rises but the tank just equalizes.

Ive stuck everything that generates heat outside the tent. I've put the air lines running through the intake to try and cool the air going in a bit.

Is there anyway I can insulate the farm and what with?

My current thinking is with high ambient temps best thing to do is constantly cool the tank with an aquarium chiller, but these are like £200-400.

Other than that is to chill the water in the fridge and replace it chilled twice a day but temps will still rise.

Also if i'm gonna battle like this I may just as well stick the plant in soil.

Please help.

Iceni Seeds
13-11-11, 11:44 AM
Get yourself a load of 2lt milk bottles (keep them in the freezer) and keep them in the res (two at a time is good).

Also get yourself some Thermal Insulation Foil Roll Like this http://www.wickes.co.uk/thermal-insulation-foil-roll/invt/210022/?source=123_74 and rap it around the waterfarms and res & pipework.

Remember the water don't need to be to cold, about 21/24c is fine fella. Also get yourself some Vitalink Bio pac. Does wonders for your roots.

Woody J
13-11-11, 04:42 PM
I try to have intake fans pointing at the res to drop temps.
Water chillers are ok but expensive.
The 2l bottles are the thing I have used the most though.

I do disagree on water temps though.
At 16c and below, the plants growth slows dramatically.
At 17-20c, the water can hold Dissolved Oxygen at around 21ppm, once you go over 21c, its ability to hold DO drops dramatically to 16ppm. This is still ok, dont get me wrong and with a good enough air pump & stone you should be ok.

Gl fella. W

Talpa
13-11-11, 08:06 PM
Get yourself a load of 2lt milk bottles (keep them in the freezer) and keep them in the res (two at a time is good).

Also get yourself some Thermal Insulation Foil Roll Like this http://www.wickes.co.uk/thermal-insulation-foil-roll/invt/210022/?source=123_74 and rap it around the waterfarms and res & pipework.

Remember the water don't need to be to cold, about 21/24c is fine fella. Also get yourself some Vitalink Bio pac. Does wonders for your roots.

This is Spain and your local wickes just don't exist lol, 2 Ltr bottles wont fit in a waterfarm res will they?.My mrs bought home a cpl of small water bottles that will fit and there in the freezer now. I will have a trip to the local diy shop and see what I can find.

Temps have gone as high as 27 in the res.

Thanks for the suggestions. :).

Talpa
13-11-11, 08:19 PM
I try to have intake fans pointing at the res to drop temps.
Water chillers are ok but expensive.
The 2l bottles are the thing I have used the most though.

I do disagree on water temps though.
At 16c and below, the plants growth slows dramatically.
At 17-20c, the water can hold Dissolved Oxygen at around 21ppm, once you go over 21c, its ability to hold DO drops dramatically to 16ppm. This is still ok, dont get me wrong and with a good enough air pump & stone you should be ok.

Gl fella. W

I've got the inlet facing directly towards the waterfarm and the 12" desktop fan on the res as well.

I have 1 stone and 1 air curtain in there being run by a hailea 9602.

I'm not so concerned about the DO level although I understand the figures, my concern is root rot. Losing the one plant that I have in a waterfarm part way through to root rot is my concern. First time i've done the farm, so having no experience is the problem. Done enough soil grows but this is all new.

Talpa
13-11-11, 08:22 PM
I have even considered buying a cool tube or sealed reflector just until the canopy is grown and a bit more shaded making it easier.

I know the light spread is crap and their not the best but must be enough until the canopy is grown and shades the farm and temps drop outside a bit more. It should be 10-12 outside usually in december.

Any thoughts

Talpa
13-11-11, 08:23 PM
wtf this is not answered lol

umbongo
13-11-11, 08:25 PM
Do you have access to mylar or some other light reflective material that you could stick on to the watefarm.

Forest
13-11-11, 08:36 PM
give the farm a insulated jacket to keep the heat out and make it big enough to put frozen milk bottles in it against the sides in two or more places, it works very well and you not disturbing the roots all the time and if you cant afford a chiller search google for "diy chiller" and you can make em from many things mine's from a freezer
heres mine
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/2050/thumbs/P1000944.JPG
bit big but it work just great its, there small freezers around that would be fine for one farm, mine is on a timer you just need to watch how it does the job and adjust the timer for what you need you can even buy a fish stat to control it
and i would want to see nothing over 19c, more than that you asking for trouble imo so ive found,

Talpa
13-11-11, 08:43 PM
Do you have access to mylar or some other light reflective material that you could stick on to the watefarm.

Whilst local wickes are not available I do have about 15 grow shops in the area, so I rekon I could, but how much difference will it make do you think?

Talpa
13-11-11, 08:49 PM
give the farm a insulated jacket to keep the heat out and make it big enough to put frozen milk bottles in it against the sides in two or more places, it works very well and you not disturbing the roots all the time and if you cant afford a chiller search google for "diy chiller" and you can make em from many things mine's from a freezer
heres mine
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/2050/thumbs/P1000944.JPG
bit big but it work just great its, there small freezers around that would be fine for one farm, mine is on a timer you just need to watch how it does the job and adjust the timer for what you need you can even buy a fish stat to control it
and i would want to see nothing over 19c, more than that you asking for trouble imo so ive found,

I like this idea with the blanket and 2ltr bottles that would work I think, not sure how often I would have to change them though.

The fridge/freezer thing is a good idea also but not practicle for me.

Forest
13-11-11, 09:08 PM
the bigger the blocks of ice the better you should get a half day easily from two bottles if not more make the jacket nice and thick it will work better give it a go should work for you i think you can hold it all together with bungys

umbongo
13-11-11, 09:34 PM
If it knocks a couple of degrees off then its all good!

Talpa
13-11-11, 10:20 PM
I can get a cooltube for €35, or they do a couple of other sealed with reflectors for €100+. I've got a couple of bottles in the freezer, plus had some chilled nute solution which i transfered over and the res is between 20-21c atm and with the lamp higher seems steady.

Cheers for the advice guys.