PDA

View Full Version : purchasing first grow equipment... help

jhr1710
13-11-08, 06:16 PM
hello people

i'm a long time smoker who now wants to start growing, (one of those things i kept telling myself i should do for a while now).

one of the problems i'm faced is, is the choice of equipment out there to choose from. i think i'm going to be using soil for my first grow as i want to keep it as simple as possible, as i already have a lot to learn!

cost is not a major issue, as i'm only thinking of growing a few plants in a small area. after a few weeks research on the net and mainly this site, i think my best best is to go with the Budbox XL Tent. I'm thinking of growing maybe 6 seeds in the beginning in the hope of 3 females, and thought perhaps the diamond 400W would do the job? i'm a completely new grower so any other suggestions are appreciated (also read about 250W fluoro's red and blue?)

i plan on repotting the plants several times using bio-bizz all mix, if i do this, do i need to use added nutrients? i've read the bio-bizz grow and bloom are excellent nutes to use, but i just want to keep it simple, so less things can go wrong. :confused: what would you suggest?

i'm going to use a fan to stir up movement in the tent, how much do i need to worry about a fan duct and if vital could i suck air in from the room and have the exhaust with hot air blowing into the same room? if so is this when i need a carbon filter? sorry i'm completely new to this and even though i've learnt so much, i still find myself struggling! :banghead: smell not a major issue, would a fan suffice

thanks for all your help i really appreciate it

serge

jhr1710
13-11-08, 06:24 PM
sorry if this post should be in the growroom setup section, i'm new ok!

captainzep
13-11-08, 08:25 PM
Go for it dude, I usually go for a dozen plants as some dont germinate at all and its a real hit and miss with their sex. It is really irritating to find they are all male after a month tlc.

weed heed
13-11-08, 08:48 PM
hi and welcome jhr,all sounds good man tent nutes and light go for the 400 wi the diamond major difference in end results.i think you defo need a fan oscilating at least and really you need extraction too a 4"ruck and filter would be fine that means fresh air at all times very important you just stick the end out of the window if poss.cheers weed heed p.s. i moved your thread to the right section pal.

drgreenthumb2787
15-11-08, 05:49 AM
hi, few thoughts im currently using the skinny bud box its just less than a meter squared floor space i use a 400w air cooled light , these are realllly nice for keeping the temperature down . usually cost about an extra 30 quid or so but its well worth the purchase . in my opinion the xl tent is more suited to a 600w light and you can easily flower 6-8 plants in it . my advice to you is to get the smaller tent and a 400w light if your only planing on flowering 3-4 plants .

as for the fan, due to the reasonably small space ur growing in the fan is just for circulating fresh air and keeping the temperature down . you wont need anything industrial scale 40 quid from ur local hydro shop should be fine and a carbon filter if ur worried about the smell .

hope that helps a little.

drgreenthumb2787
15-11-08, 05:56 AM
carbon filter needs to be used around 2 weeks into flowering in my experience. p.s. remember to start nutrients off in small doses and slowly build up .

jhr1710
15-11-08, 04:21 PM
hi, few thoughts im currently using the skinny bud box its just less than a meter squared floor space i use a 400w air cooled light , these are realllly nice for keeping the temperature down . usually cost about an extra 30 quid or so but its well worth the purchase . in my opinion the xl tent is more suited to a 600w light and you can easily flower 6-8 plants in it . my advice to you is to get the smaller tent and a 400w light if your only planing on flowering 3-4 plants .

as for the fan, due to the reasonably small space ur growing in the fan is just for circulating fresh air and keeping the temperature down . you wont need anything industrial scale 40 quid from ur local hydro shop should be fine and a carbon filter if ur worried about the smell .

hope that helps a little.

thanks for the advice mate , i was thinking a meter squared tent would be big enough, which 400W air cooled light would you recommend? so many different brands out there, all claiming they're better than the next one!

i was thinking of using the bio-bizz nutrients as a lot of people seem to vouch for them on here. with the bio all mix soil. is that a good idea, using the set up i will have, or would you recommend alternatives?

all seems to be coming together now, not very decisive bout these things so its taken me a while to plan the equip i need for my set up! getting excited! :D

are there any specific seeds that would do well in the grow tents. thinking of getting them through the thctalk shop, perhaps white widow (thought that'd be a sentimental first grow!) wouldn't mind trying praps a couple strains, maybe some NL seeds as well. what have you had good experiences with?

sorry bout all the questions, still fill like i'm jumping in head first, even though its a simple set up. need to get started, one learns fastest whilst doing!

serge