PDA

View Full Version : A serious question

Mr Swilly
09-02-12, 12:05 AM
I've never tried, but is it possible to keep a plant, in a non growing veg state?
They don't grow, but they don't die. They just stay as they are kinda thing.
If so how do you do it? I assume with a low powered light. Do you need them to be a certain size, number under x amount of light?
I like the idea of taking a clone from a flowering seed crop when they have shown sex, but not have to grow the clones out until I decide which ones to keep, once the mums have flowered.
Any ideas?

nuube
09-02-12, 12:24 AM
Interesting question, can't see how you could do it though. You can slow the growth down - lower light, nutes and temps but it wouldn't stop or it would start to die.

Hooter
09-02-12, 12:32 AM
if you take the clone when it is flowering it can easily take 2 - 3 weeks to get any meaningful rootage through a 1" rockwool cubes then however long you decide to veg for (and how long you have left to harvest) you might not need to slow them down too much.

Just a thought. I try to work that way when i can. I just snip off a couple of the lower stalks that will come to not much of fuck all about 4 - 5 weeks into 12/12 and by the time i chop the new ones are close to ready for flowering

Forest
09-02-12, 12:40 AM
small pot to restrict the roots, trim them when it becomes very root bound ( cutting half the root off will stop a plant growing as well , ) and keep it cold and it will slow down big time, low light as well , you need to fuck around with it to find the sweet spot

when people are preparing for sth like the Chelsea Flower show they all use low temps to holt the plants growth

at so keep pinching out new growth and it will stop growing for a few day while it regenerates

techiebabe
09-02-12, 12:46 AM
if its any help, ive got 2 blue cheese plants i picked up from a friend last week, there about 1ft square overall, i've kept them in the same tent where ive got a couple of clones under a 25w T5 lamp.....and in a week, they've hardly grown at all, have a few new sets of leaves where he raped them for his own clones, but i have to keep them in there as the grow room's in use, they dont seem to be growing much which was exactly what i wanted.....hope this helps :)

Goodbuddy
09-02-12, 12:46 AM
http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3946923_f248.jpg maybe

Forest
09-02-12, 12:48 AM
as techy babe says any plant that has been cut back takes a while to recover its another good way to keep growth n check

techiebabe
09-02-12, 12:57 AM
as techy babe says any plant that has been cut back takes a while to recover its another good way to keep growth n check

plus the v.low light source....i think they think theyre dozing for 24hrs a day, when i need them to pick up i'll drop to 18/6 and switch the other light on over them, have 1 light on which is on the opposite wall of the tent over the clones, so theyre gettin indirect light, leaves are droopy and growth is slow, im not worried cos i dont need them to pick up for a good few weeks yet

Grub
09-02-12, 01:08 AM
I'd guess that Forests suggestion would work best. Regular trimming of the root ball and keeping the plants cooler.

Not sure about the low light suggestions though, If anything the plants should stretch to buggery searching for light.

Goodbuddy
09-02-12, 01:20 AM
I've never tried it but there is a thread on here...Monty Bongs Blue Cheese Refridgerated Cuttings (https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?5418-Blue-Cheese-(Refridgerated-Cuttings)&highlight=refridgerated+cuttings) (which is a belting diary) and might be right up your street :)

Anonymiss
09-02-12, 02:04 AM
This may be of interest, but it's long and wordy: Light as a Growth Regulator: Controlling Plant Biology with Narrow-bandwidth Solid-state Lighting Systems (http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/43/7/1957.full)

From what I skimmed, it looks like their conclusion is that using only blue light makes a significant difference. (That's blue as in blue, not cool white or daylight.)

Overall, the plants grown under blue light had shorter and fewer petioles, lower weight, and smaller leaves.

Mr Swilly
09-02-12, 11:31 PM
All good stuff folks. Cheers. Not thought about the low light= stretch grub but makes good sense to me.
Light as a growth regulator was my opening hypothesis miss, so will have a good look at that.
Cheers buddy, yeah am familiar with the bongs work. It kinda put the idea in my head, if you can keep em alive ina fridge, you should be able to acheive it under a light.
Cheers techie , some good ideas there. Truth is I'm such a lazy bugger , if I had to do anything to em I wouldn't be arsed taking the clones in the first place. A strange logic I know, but works for me lol.
Cheers forest. Temps i hadn't thought about either and deffo makes sense cheers.
Hooter and nube, yeah I'm aiming for a state of statis.

With all of the excellent advice above. And me being a lazy sod. I think putting them in a fridge, with the door kept ajar with an old shoe ( to keep the light on ) could be a winner.

Ps another serious question - anyone used a beard trimmer as a trimming tool? Do you reckon the chopper bits would clog up with resin? I'm thinking wahl hair clippers may do a decent job.
Cheers.

Anonymiss
09-02-12, 11:44 PM
I think putting them in a fridge, with the door kept ajar with an old shoe ( to keep the light on ) could be a winner.
Maybe even put a blue filter in the light?

Ps another serious question - anyone used a beard trimmer as a trimming tool?
If that fails, how about some Veet strips?

nuube
10-02-12, 12:27 AM
All good stuff folks. Cheers. Not thought about the low light= stretch grub but makes good sense to me.
Light as a growth regulator was my opening hypothesis miss, so will have a good look at that.
Cheers buddy, yeah am familiar with the bongs work. It kinda put the idea in my head, if you can keep em alive ina fridge, you should be able to acheive it under a light.
Cheers techie , some good ideas there. Truth is I'm such a lazy bugger , if I had to do anything to em I wouldn't be arsed taking the clones in the first place. A strange logic I know, but works for me lol.
Cheers forest. Temps i hadn't thought about either and deffo makes sense cheers.
Hooter and nube, yeah I'm aiming for a state of statis.

With all of the excellent advice above. And me being a lazy sod. I think putting them in a fridge, with the door kept ajar with an old shoe ( to keep the light on ) could be a winner.

Ps another serious question - anyone used a beard trimmer as a trimming tool? Do you reckon the chopper bits would clog up with resin? I'm thinking wahl hair clippers may do a decent job.
Cheers.

The answer was in the question.

wheelchair
10-02-12, 03:22 PM
Forest has the right of it. Keep it in a small pot and root bound. Ive grown a plant in a small pot for 6 months with only about a foot of growth. It may sound alot, but under 250 watts of light for 6 months, it really isnt.

You can also trim it in a bonsai fashion, but thats a bit more dangerous, as you need to make sure it gets enough light to stay healthy, but cannot produce enough energy for fast growth.

Murdock
10-02-12, 03:25 PM
never thought about keeping your clones in the fridge until you need them ? i,ve seen this work before, if you google it (storing clones in fridge) you,ll see how it works mate

Bobby Digital
10-02-12, 04:14 PM
i keep my cuts in little tiny pots and dont give them any water at all once they have rooted, they start eating them selves up and dont grow much at all, water very little (they are kept under enough light as to not stretchand when i want to get them going i pot up into big pots water like a fucker and away they go... its not really scientific but it works 4 me