hubby111
17-11-08, 09:13 PM
Can someone please tell me this is not mites, It's not on alll leaves

hubby111
17-11-08, 09:14 PM
If it is, What's the best way to treat the little Beasties

ricochet
17-11-08, 09:24 PM
Looks like mites to me, ive just had to throw away 10 plants due to not realising i had them early enough. Alot of people on here use neem oil im planning on getting a Hotbox Sulfume. Hopping i helps prevent them in the future.
Ric

Grub
17-11-08, 09:59 PM
Mites are almost impossible to get rid of completely, but you can get spay's from garden centres that will control the blighters, just make sure that the spray you get can be used on fruit and veg, and never spray within 2 or 3 weeks of harvesting your plants.
There are 'soaps' and other things you can use too, again from garden centres.

Some people mash up tobacco, garlic, chilli and allsorts of other things and mix them with water to make a 'spray', but unless you like you plants to smell like stale ashtray's then i'd avoid these 'home remedies'.

Monty Bong
17-11-08, 11:00 PM
Hotbox Sulfume is brilliant for Spider Mite, but you should be aware it can only be used during veg and they don't come cheap. Great piece of kit though.

captainzep
18-11-08, 08:29 PM
Looks like mite to me too but dont spray with anything you wouldnt want to smoke. I would cut off every leaf with any damange on and mist with water as this stops the little buggerss from moving around. If possible seperate any infected plants . Finally once your grow is over fumiagte or wash every thing in bleach. I have a pic of one some where.

captainzep
18-11-08, 08:33 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/kaptainzep/mite.jpg
This is the little so and so . I spent all summer looking for these and only ever found one, but the damage they did was quite prolific to the leaves.

Judas
18-11-08, 09:00 PM
how can you avoid getting mites? are they common in small home growrooms? where do they come from

Grub
18-11-08, 09:37 PM
how can you avoid getting mites? are they common in small home growrooms? where do they come from

Your soil, mainly.

cheap, unsterilzed soils are full of allsorts of eggs/larvae, including the dreaded spider mite!
They can also be brought in the house from the garden by you on your clothes, any member of your family, or even your dog/cat!

Not many indoor growers get away without at least one spider mite problem!
;)

Grub
18-11-08, 09:49 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/kaptainzep/mite.jpg
This is the little so and so . I spent all summer looking for these and only ever found one, but the damage they did was quite prolific to the leaves.

That looks more like an aphid to me mate, spider mites are much smaller and look like red/black dust slowly moving around on the underside of leaves. Aphids, like yours, are bigger, easier to spot, and as a rule don't generally 'infest' plants. Just a couple in a grow room can do a lot of damage!

captainzep
18-11-08, 10:38 PM
Red spider mites are notoriously difficult to spot, firstly because they spend most of their misserable little lives ruining you veg and being too small for the human eye to detect, not being red dosnt make it easy either . However in the autum ( stops for spliff) after really irritaing yours truly they finally with the aid of magnifing glases become visible and coincidently detectable by el digital camera. I suspect they are ofcourse in someway related to aphids but my pic is not of one.

Judas
18-11-08, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info grub

my first grow will be in levington JI seed and levington JI no2

hopefully it's clean enough..

Grub
19-11-08, 12:54 PM
Red spider mites are notoriously difficult to spot, firstly because they spend most of their misserable little lives ruining you veg and being too small for the human eye to detect, not being red dosnt make it easy either . However in the autum ( stops for spliff) after really irritaing yours truly they finally with the aid of magnifing glases become visible and coincidently detectable by el digital camera. I suspect they are ofcourse in someway related to aphids but my pic is not of one.

If you only found one of them on your plants mate yet a lot of damage was done, then it's definitely an aphid doing the work.
Here's a couple of pictures that shows the difference between the two, as you can see when you compare your photo with these, your little blighter is definitely an aphid.

Aphid:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2005/160505/Aphid.jpg

Spider Mite:
http://www.idahohotsprings.com/images/blog/red_spider_mite.jpg

Dredlock
20-11-08, 04:13 PM
I have had a small issue with spider mite lol little fookers :) here are the 2 types of control i have found work best with little or no taste on the bud even after treating plants which have been cropped a week after spraying

http://www.dustnguns.co.uk/dred/green/bug.jpg

hope this helps a little ;)

The_Hunter
20-11-08, 04:27 PM
It has been suggested that spraying plants with a 1:1 mixture of alcohol and water will kill spider mites on contact. Rubbing alcohol, like any alcohol for any creature, is poisonous in high dosages, and it evaporates quickly doing little damage to the plant it’s been sprayed on. Some people suggest a 1:3 mixture of rubbing alcohol to water, but the strong the mixture, the more certain you are to get as many mites as possible. Make sure to cover the entire plant, focusing on the bottoms of the leaves where spider mites tend to hang out.

bigballs
20-11-08, 06:28 PM
Me and Bubbs have been plagued with little mites too!!!!
We decided to go down the predator route and got some Phytoseiulus persimilis, which are little anti-mite mites. They seem to control the spider mites but dont totally eradicate them, so as soon as the plants are cropped, im gonna spray some hardcore chemicals in there to sterilize the tent. I have also increased the humidity in the tent as the mites dont like the extra moisture

ricochet
21-11-08, 05:01 PM
Cheers for the heads up on the slfume, i didnt realise it couldnt be used during flower. I got them either streight from the fella who i got the cuttings from or through my intake which i didnt screen!!!

Ric!

delboy2009uk
27-06-09, 09:29 AM
People always say you cant get rid of mite completely! and that may be true they will allways be lurking in the deepest darkest corner of your rooom! but if you know how to keep them under control and all the tell tale signs it shhouldnt affest your outcome that much! HOtboxes are the way forward and i woould reccomend anyone with mite whether just a few or an infestation go n get one! they are the absolute shizzle!

ONEEYE82
27-06-09, 10:03 AM
People always say you cant get rid of mite completely! and that may be true they will allways be lurking in the deepest darkest corner of your rooom! but if you know how to keep them under control and all the tell tale signs it shhouldnt affest your outcome that much! HOtboxes are the way forward and i woould reccomend anyone with mite whether just a few or an infestation go n get one! they are the absolute shizzle!

whats one of them then "hot boxes" ? have you got a link pm me if you get time ,,,,

thanks oneeye

delboy2009uk
27-06-09, 10:19 AM
Here u go my old mate av a gandder at this......http://www.hotboxworld.com/products/C8/sulphur-vaporisation they do exactly whhat they say on the tin.... the only down side to them is that they let off a eggy smell... but if you only use the amount of sulphur u need for how many hoours your going to have it on and dont fill the cup up full u wont notice it that much. everyones ravin bout um. hope it helps.