PDA

View Full Version : How much trim to use, and use it dry or wet?

crispypancakes
29-02-12, 12:18 AM
so how much, how removed from the bud will bring a result, are fan leaves used or just the leftover bud leaves and stalks?

also should it be dried out first or not?

GreenMommy
29-02-12, 12:29 AM
Okay, here's how I do mine.

1. Remove the stalk from the tree
2. Holding stalk, remove large fan leaves and trim the pointy ends off of larger leaves that do not have any trichomes. I take the fan leaves pretty close to the stalk myself, but that's just how I do it.
*Here's where your trim comes from so pay attention!*
3. Lay out a tray across your lap or on the table and take your branch and your little trimmers and just trim them down to the bud. Be careful not to nick the bud! I always leave pistils visible on the bud. Continue trimming each branch, allowing the trichome-covered leafy bits to fall into your clean tray or dish.
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96577
4. Place the tray in a safe place, like a cupboard, where it won't get dusty or knocked over. Stir it up a couple times a day, or if you put it in a ziploc you can just shake it. Not too hard! Don't abuse those delicate trichomes!
5. When trim has reached desired doneness (I like mine not completely dry), keep in freezer.

crispypancakes
29-02-12, 12:44 AM
mint mate.

indoorak
29-02-12, 03:03 AM

Here's some of my THC honey or really strong tar like hash.

blurry-vision
29-02-12, 03:24 AM
Looks nice that Indoorak ! Bet it gets you utterly wasted, which is always nice. :dance2:

indoorak
29-02-12, 03:27 AM
Looks nice that Indoorak ! Bet it gets you utterly wasted, which is always nice. :dance2:

Yes it is 4 sure not for the faint of heart !

blurry-vision
29-02-12, 03:31 AM
Yeah I have had hash before that was so strong the hit itself felt almost like a stimulant lol, heart racing, sweating, tripping. Utterly mental lol. You sometimes have to just literally collapse also, while you recover from the intensity of the hit.:bong::bong::bong:

illearth67
29-02-12, 10:55 AM
Just seen this thread and thought I'd share what I've learned as a noob using bubble bags for only the 2nd time. First time I made the mistake of drying my trim before freezing and I strongly advise against doing that.
I since learned that using fresh wet frozen trim is best cos it holds moisture which makes the trichomes stand up and break off more easily when agitated.
Whatever the reason I found I got much better results this time round using wet frozen trim compared to dried frozen and you can see the pics below for comparison.
The top pic is from my first ice hash run a few weeks ago you can read about it in this thread (https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?64131-Question-On-Bubble-Bag-Mesh-Sizes) if you're interested. The bottom pic is from my second attempt two days ago and the difference is obvious. I got no less than 5.6g of bubble from 36g of trim compared to only 2.3 g from 26g last time so I'm really pleased with that increase especially given the quality.
As blurry said the quality of the bubble hash reminds me of the finest resinous red or gold Lebanese hash from back in the day and it really brings back memories toking it I can tell you. :bong:
All I can say guys it's defo worth investing in a set of bubble bags they're worth their weight in gold and it's very satisfying to make use of all that trim you would otherwise throw away.
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/HPIM1182.JPG
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/HPIM1184.JPG

TC-UP
29-02-12, 11:12 AM
Throw away? Heaven forgive you lol.
Make Cannabutter if you don't have bubble bags, mine are on their way from Canada at the moment and I can't wait :)

TC-UP

crispypancakes
29-02-12, 04:45 PM
can you use the under trimmings from a Scrog for this or are they not so good?

i'll be defo getting some bubble bags, also I figure I can use them for removing sediment in my home brew too! that shits value for money!!

ace.

GreenMommy
29-02-12, 04:52 PM
can you use the under trimmings from a Scrog for this or are they not so good?

i'll be defo getting some bubble bags, also I figure I can use them for removing sediment in my home brew too! that shits value for money!!

ace.

I particularly like the popcorn nugs on the lower branches for making trim! Oh hell yes! As long as it has trichomes on it, USE it!!

illearth67
29-02-12, 10:56 PM
I particularly like the popcorn nugs on the lower branches for making trim! Oh hell yes! As long as it has trichomes on it, USE it!!

Yes I agree I threw in some popcorn into my last mix and I think it defo helped. In future I think it might be worth just leaving the lower branches on my plants rather than stripping them off in veg as many growers do.
The reason we do this is to minimise the amount of popcorn bud and channel all the plants energy into the main colas. However if you own a set of bubble bags there is good reason just to leave the lower branches and the popcorn bud and I think that will be my policy from now on.
I Have to say guys the bubble hash is totally awesome, my wife says it's too strong for her and she's a hardcore skunk toker so what does that tell you lol?:bong:

blurry-vision
29-02-12, 11:04 PM
Looks well tasty that B, and for sure it's the kind of hit where you defo don't want anything on other than collapsing in a stoned, sweaty heap lol. It's what I call a soaring stone, best word to describe it.

illearth67
29-02-12, 11:18 PM
Looks well tasty that B, and for sure it's the kind of hit where you defo don't want anything on other than collapsing in a stoned, sweaty heap lol. It's what I call a soaring stone, best word to describe it.

Yes blurry m8 what I really like is that I grow Sativas that can tend to make your mind race at times and aren't always good for toking just before bed. But the bubble hash is a different stone altogether. After the initial rush has gone it turns into a real mongy" indica" type stone that sends me off into a very nice sleep.:)
I have to say as well it's tremendous fun making the hash I find it very satisfying in a number of ways it's quite thereapeutic.:)

blurry-vision
29-02-12, 11:24 PM
Yeah I ought to get some of those bags mate, but that been said I don't get that much trim from my grows, so really I need to save the trim from 2 grows then have a go, otherwise I'd probably end up with not much lol. For now I just use a simple kief box and then shake it through to a tray. Then just use it as a 'powder'. But it would be nice to have some proper bubble hash !

illearth67
29-02-12, 11:34 PM
Yeah I ought to get some of those bags mate, but that been said I don't get that much trim from my grows, so really I need to save the trim from 2 grows then have a go, otherwise I'd probably end up with not much lol. For now I just use a simple kief box and then shake it through to a tray. Then just use it as a 'powder'. But it would be nice to have some proper bubble hash !
Yes I understand what you're saying blurry but if it's practical you should save your frozen trim until you have enough to make bubble hash.
I occasionally smoke the kief from my grinder but the bubble hash is defo much nicer and stronger imo.

blurry-vision
29-02-12, 11:35 PM
How much trim in weight do you reckon you'd need to get say 1/16th of it ? :)

illearth67
29-02-12, 11:46 PM
How much trim in weight do you reckon you'd need to get say 1/16th of it ? :)

Well if you check online the usual figure bandied about is 10% so you would need about 16-20g of trim to get 1/16th. What I would say is that 10% is only a rough guide my last run I got 5.6g from 36g of trim which is more like 15% so it depends on the quality of the trim and not least how long you can be bothered stirring the ice/trim. It would be nice to have one of those bubble hash machines see below.:satan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaNoMORzy4w

Goodbuddy
29-02-12, 11:51 PM
Here are some top ice hash making tips, cribbed from a Californian hash master called Nik :

1. Slow things down. This process takes way more time than most people tend to give it. Take time to get all zen about it and think about what you are doing with each step of the process.

2. The better your herb, the better your finished product. Avoid fan leaves, stems and, really, anything you wouldn't put in your pipe. Nik suggests using sugar leaves and says he gets better results with that than he does using actual buds.

3. Fresh, wet trim that has been frozen is better than dried trim. Dried trim tends to break up more and leave a lot of plant material in your hash. Dried trim can be used, but less agitation is needed.

4. Use purified water and purified ice. The fewer things you have in your water, the less you've got in your hash in the end and there's a lot of gnarly stuff in regular tap water -- from calcium to fluoride. By the same token, make sure the buckets you're using are clean and free of any dust or residue you wouldn't want to end up in your hash.

5. Keep your water temperatures low, between 32 and 34 degrees. This ensures that the trichome heads are breaking. To do that...

6. Use a ten-pound bag of ice for every gallon or so of water. Seriously. Add a couple more pounds to the mix constantly to keep the temperature down.

7. Keep agitation to a minimum. Some people use a drill with a paint mixer; this is too much, Nik says. He suggests mixing by hand with a ladle -- and advises you to remember that the ice will be doing a lot of work.

8. Agitate the ice-water/ganja mix in one bucket and pouring the final product through the screens in another. This will avoid over-agitating in the bags and potentially damaging them. Don't force the water through, either. Instead, let it filter through naturally to avoid damaging your bag and sending plant matter through.

9. Carefully spoon the hash-water mix out of each bag, avoiding any pressing of the material. You want to dry this out properly, making sure not to leave any water behind that could create mold or mildew. Older books will tell you to rub the clay-like material over a colander screen to break up the hash.

10. After the hash has dried, give it a few weeks to cure -- just as you would the buds that it was made from. A few weeks in an airtight jar with an occasional refreshing of air will help bring out the smells and flavors of the strain.

Some sage advice in there and I've got some more, re: ISO/Butane if you want it posting :joint:

blurry-vision
01-03-12, 12:23 AM
Cheers fellas, most useful. :)

Oh yeh, that machine would be top banana ! Talk about convenience lol.

C 2 the J
01-03-12, 01:29 AM
Reminds me of the hash oil i used to get back in the late 80's early 90's, well strong stone lol,

Peace :bigjoint: