PDA

View Full Version : Growing chilli?

dank
15-03-12, 11:12 AM
I just seen a thread which for some reason made me wana grow some chillies....

Now, the only thing ive ever grown is MJ so im pretty clueless and have a couple of questions for the master chilli growers :)

1. What time of year should i start them?

A...

2. How long to they take?

A...

3. How big do they go?

A...

4. Can i pick chillies off and more will grow or do i have to harvest the whole plant?

A...

5. I dont have a greenhouse so which would be better, windowsill or out in the garden?..... South facing?

A...

6. What would be the best to grow, or is it all personal preference?

A...

Think thats all i can think of atm and im not a lazy bastard i will do some research when i finish work :joint: honest ;)

Sent from my mind telepathically......... ;)

Mr Bloom
15-03-12, 11:59 AM
go to chillisgalore dot co.uk

Here's my one month old sweet chillis grown on the windowsill...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/TOBAYASHI_bucket/LAG/DSCN1349.jpg

Bit of topping practice lol..

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/TOBAYASHI_bucket/LAG/DSCN1350.jpg

gbomb
15-03-12, 12:08 PM
i done chilli's a couple of years back dead easy start them now they will take most of the summer (outside)
put seeds in potting soil keep moist and warm let them spout when they get biggerre-pott
they will grow to 2-2.5 feet you dont forget to keep them in the sun when you put them into the garden
when they flower take a small paint brush or cotton bud and gently rub the inside of the flower(the stamen) moving from one to another this will pollinate them
when the flower die's chillie's will grow out from behind where the flower was just leave them till ripe and pick.
you dont harvest them all at once just as they ripen.
i done 6 plants and ended up drying about 120 chillie's and had fresh one's for the best part of late summer.
if you use seeds from fresh chilli's they do need completely before you plant them.
try growing some dorset naga (well hot just dont use a whole one).

dank
15-03-12, 12:23 PM
when they flower take a small paint brush or cotton bud and gently rub the inside of the flower(the stamen) moving from one to another this will pollinate them

So one plant can pollinate itself by doing this, or does that mean they gota mingle with others?

So i would have to do more than one then?

gbomb
15-03-12, 05:02 PM
one plant will pollinate itself yes.
be carefull if you have differentt strains i cross pollinated and ended up with some weird looking chilli's on a couple of plants
bare in mind you have to do every flower for it to turn into a chilli.

Earwig
15-03-12, 05:27 PM
I just seen a thread which for some reason made me wana grow some chillies....

Now, the only thing ive ever grown is MJ so im pretty clueless and have a couple of questions for the master chilli growers :)

1. What time of year should i start them?

A... Now will be fine mate

2. How long to they take?

A... They'll crop late summer/autumn depending on variety/growing environment etc

3. How big do they go?

A... Again, depends on variety. You can get little bush ones that'll grow on a windowsill or ones that'll go 3 foot easy

4. Can i pick chillies off and more will grow or do i have to harvest the whole plant?

A... Yes. Pick them green and more flowers will grow. Leave some on to go red

5. I dont have a greenhouse so which would be better, windowsill or out in the garden?..... South facing?

A... Try both! Grow a couple of varieties

6. What would be the best to grow, or is it all personal preference?

A... Up to you. There's literally hundreds of varieties

Another couple of points. 1. You do not need to pollinate with a brush. Fine if you feel the need, but it won't make much difference overall. If it has too many pollinated fruits to handle, it'll just shed them anyway. 2. Growing different varieties together is fine. You will get cross pollination, but it will have no impact on the peppers you eat this year. If you then sow the cross pollinated seed though next year, you could get some interesting new varieties!!

Hope this helps mate.

dank
15-03-12, 11:33 PM
Cheers guys, think that'll do for now :)

dank
16-03-12, 12:31 AM
They will be outside mate ;) thanks for the heads up

TheCandyManCan
16-03-12, 11:22 AM
I love growing and eating chili but last year my chili plants got spidermite and I didn't want to risk them moving onto the ladies so I threw them.

I might grow some Bhut this year.

Stoorie
07-04-12, 09:43 AM
Just had the postie deliver me a pack of seeds from 'the chilli pepper company' of Stoney Bridge , Cumbria (cool address)
Got a wee pack which has 3 vars.
Orange Habanero
Jalapeno
Ring of Fire

I love that on the pack it says wash hands after touching :)

THey will be going underground by lunchtime.

tricone
07-04-12, 11:02 AM
Another few bits of advice:
1. They like it slightly alkaline in the soil, but good drainage like canna.
2. Outside they will pollinate themselves.
3. They need as much heat as possible, the hotter and more sun they get the hotter the chilli.
4. You can cut them back a bit in the autumn and keep them on a sunny window sill for next year.
5. Germination can be slow, a lot slower than the canna seeds. Warmth is good for this.
6. Like earwig said, cross pollination does not affect the fruit of any plant.

Earwig
07-04-12, 11:20 PM
Just had the postie deliver me a pack of seeds from 'the chilli pepper company' of Stoney Bridge , Cumbria (cool address)
Got a wee pack which has 3 vars.
Orange Habanero
Jalapeno
Ring of Fire

I love that on the pack it says wash hands after touching :)

THey will be going underground by lunchtime.

Very nice chillis mate. I grow Habernaros and Jalapenos every year myself. Have grown Ring of Fire for the last 3 years, but ran out of seed without realising this year. Good luck with it.

And a cautionary chilli tale... I make lots of chilli jams and after making a batch, I'd gone for a piss. No problem at first and then I got like a blistering sensation on my knob. After a few minutes it felt like someone was putting a blow torch to my old chap and this went on for a good 1/2 hour after. Immense pain! lol. And that was AFTER I'd washed my hands.

I gave serious thought about putting my cock in some yoghurt to see if it'd cool it down.

Trailslayer
07-04-12, 11:31 PM
I'm growing butch T's , nagas, ghost and Aussie blacks - pretty special & rare chillis - cant beat a good heat kick :0)

sir_dance_alot
08-04-12, 10:45 PM
Ive just ordered some ghost, scotch bonnet seeds :)