PDA

View Full Version : Topping by only cutting the leaves. Anyone heard of this before?

niceneasy
18-03-12, 06:50 PM
I was at a mates house today, who is now on his second grow. His mentor (for want of a better word) came around today & topped his plants. instead of the usual, cutting off the head, he has only trimmed the new leaves around the head (like you'd do for a cutting).

Has anyone seen this before? My mate said he did this last time as well, and produced great results.

My thinking is it'll produce the same stresses as in LST, promoting the side buds while the main one recovers. I've never come across it before though, so was wondering if anyone used it.

Mrs Doublebong
18-03-12, 07:02 PM
It sounds like they've been fimmed, where you cut the leaves off really close to the grow point, it creates multiple new heads and makes them really bushy. If it was fimming then its more stressful than LST, similar to topping they take a week or so to recover :)

babybud3232
19-03-12, 11:32 AM
Agreed it sounds like he was fimming the plant

Alzy
19-03-12, 11:41 AM
What is fimming? I know it's Fuck I Missed (fim)
But how would you do this?
I know that with a clone it has staggered branches at intervals where with a seed it grows identically the same.
Is fimming more common on cloned plants than seeded plants. Am I on the right track?

Sent from myanus

L
19-03-12, 01:17 PM
With all my previous grow I did notice that whenever I cut a fan leaf off for whatever reason that the small shoot that is above where the leaf attaches to the main would suddenly start to grow like a extra top.

Alzy
19-03-12, 01:18 PM
Cheers 00
I do fimming then.
Cheers for the linko

Sent from myanus

niceneasy
20-03-12, 05:46 PM
Never heard of that before Niceneasy, it's not topping or fimming though (i know you know that by the way:))...

Interesting thought though, you gonna give it a try???

:) Cheers DZ, yeah I think I might give it a go on my next grow. Looking at the pics on the link he has kind of fimmed it, but only the leaves (Maybe he's not read about fimming correctly, or it's some Mancland getto version :)). Defo weirdness anyway. I'm back there in a couple of weeks, so I'll try and get a pic or two. If it's worked, then I'll be onto it next time for a trial.

obiwan
21-03-12, 08:50 AM
fimming

i pinched these out and two days later this was the result, hope it helps

marmalade dreams
21-03-12, 03:42 PM
Hiya niceneasy, hope you're keeping well. :)

Just at thought, as it's the top most leaves he's cut, perhaps it works in a similar way to supercropping? If an animal had nibbled the topmost leaves of the lead growth, the plant would release the auxins that trigger the lower growth to become the main growing tip.

Kinda makes sense (maybe) :confused:

niceneasy
21-03-12, 10:04 PM
Hiya niceneasy, hope you're keeping well. :)

Just at thought, as it's the top most leaves he's cut, perhaps it works in a similar way to supercropping? If an animal had nibbled the topmost leaves of the lead growth, the plant would release the auxins that trigger the lower growth to become the main growing tip.

Kinda makes sense (maybe) :confused:

Yep, that's the sort of thing I was thinking as well. I'll see how his go before making the leap myself :)

litegreenbuds420
22-03-12, 12:42 AM
Topping your plants is effective if you want to double your buds. Although fimming your plants is much more effective by yeilding around 8x more buds. Its like topping but u would cut the main stem and top leaves 3/4 of the way off. It will stunt growth for about 4-6 weekss. Your plants main stem wont grow anymore so do it in mid veggitation stage, but it'll grow other branches and bush out. You can also top your plant again after 6-8 weeks.( i wouldnt do it more than 2 times). Remeber topping and fimming are different techniques. Both effective good luch.