PDA

View Full Version : seedism dead seeds

shark
05-12-08, 07:36 PM
hi guys,

i got a pack of 5 feminized "seedism white skunk" last week for the next grow.. (im doing mossy's auto's too..different grow)..

i germinated all 5 at once. within 48hrs 1 had sprouted, i potted that. the next day (72hrs), another sprouted.

the remaining 3, 2 appeared to have split open, and 1 was still un-split, so i left them and kept checking every 12hrs for the next couple of days.

upon close inspection this evening, the 2 that had split open are full of white mush, obviously dead. the remaing seeds has just a tiny split, with the same mush/pus oozing from it.

to germinate them i put them between layers of wet/damp kitchen roll, in a dvd box inside a sealed plastic bag, placed in a warm cupboard...same method ive always used,so im sure i did nothing wrong.

the 2 seeds that did live, are growing well and look healthy seedlings.

they were £40 for 5 seeds, so im feeeling a bit let down, as you can imagine.

is it worth dropping seedism seeds an email with a picture of the failed seeds?

cheers guys!

shark

shark
05-12-08, 08:38 PM
thanks pal.. the souvenier issue was on my mind, but t the end of the day, the product failed to do what it said on the packet, any producer/manufacutrer or company with a product that doesnt do as it's intended needs to be made aware..for thier own good! they cant have consumers lose faith in thier brands..cos if they do..they're finished.

ive sent an email to seedism directly with a picture of the 3 duds and thier seed packet next to them. a nice email..not an angry one. we'll see what kind of response i get..

what is for sure, if im unsatisifed with thier response, i wont be buying any of thier strains again! (and neither will anyone else who reads this thread!)

zoots
05-12-08, 11:25 PM
Hey sharkfactor,
i'm avin the same trouble with fem seeds never had this amount
of hassle wi the regular seeds, i think MT may av a point their about the fem seeds.
hope ya get sum joy out of seedism!!

shark
05-12-08, 11:27 PM
what exactly is the feminizing process? how do they make female seeds?

zoots
05-12-08, 11:39 PM
no idea m8 its just since i startad takin growin more seriously
i thought fem seeds are the way to go less hassle weedin out the blokes
but the amount of dud fem seeds we'v ad is not good.
less than 50% success.
cloning is the way forward m8

new_guy
07-12-08, 05:21 PM
i think plants can be chemically feminized....

but i was also told that the plants are severely stressed, bent right over to one side then the other etc, and when they produce seeds, they are growen and have the same thing done and are pollinated with themselves or something like that

shark
07-12-08, 11:34 PM
from wiki..

It is possible to use a combination of cloning and "shocking" plants to get them to produce feminized seeds.[7] A clone will retain the same sex throughout its life, so if a female plant is cloned, its clones will also be female, precluding reproduction.

While environmental stresses have been used to create pollen bearing male flowers on female plants- known as 'hermaphroditing' or 'hermying', this method is not preferred when creating feminized seeds; due to those plants most likely to revert to seed making being the ones which hermie soonest; hence passing on the genetic trait of instability of gender - desirable in the wild but not in cultivation.

Spraying selected leaves, branches and in cases where large amount of seed desired whole plants with colloidal silver solution has become a preferred method since the colloidal silver suppresses ethylene production in bud sites, stimulating male characteristics. Gibberellic acid has been used frequently; but is harder to find than colloidal silver, which involves nothing more than a small wall d.c. power supply and two pieces of solid silver jeweler's wire, or 99.999% silver coin. A method used by organic growers and promulgated by the famous Cannabis breeder Soma, is called 'Rodelization', or letting unpollenated female plants live several weeks longer than the normal harvest time. In such plants a hermaphroditic trait will self express in effort to continue the genetic line; the fact this method utilizes auto hermaphroditic traits which could contribute to instability in a plant's genetics is offset by grower observations that the tendency to auto-switch sex is not great in plants grown from seeds made this way, and the fact that it occurs naturally without effort on the part of the cultivator.

Reedy_mc
07-12-08, 11:41 PM
you get female seeds from a stressed plant that polinates its self ,all the seeds are female .
just think in the wild if there was garanted males then they simply would not reproduce!!!
if nature makes more females then it only takes 1 male plant to polinate most of the females,
so i dont think nature intended for garanted males haha :weed:

Reedy_mc
07-12-08, 11:48 PM
iv grown a hermi be for and seeded its self, all the seeds are female but my trouble with them is they seem to stress out to easy and turn hermi agen!

shark
12-12-08, 12:44 PM
thats a week past now, and no response from seedism about my email.

i wont be buying anymore of thier seeds.

marijuanamat
12-12-08, 03:28 PM
Its not the seed company's fault,that what you describe is damping off fungus from having the soil to wet and maybe a little to warm.
All your seeds germinated as you've said in this thread,those seeds could of been dynamite and the 2 that have survived could still be dynamite and you can multiply those plants by as as many as you want,just wait until theres enough growth and take cuttings of the 2 making sure to label the correctly so you know which clone came from which female.

shark
17-12-08, 09:46 PM
@marijuanamat.. i see your point there, i can clone them as many times as i want. but what im most upset about is the next harvest will be 2 plants instead of 5.

i only used damp paper towels, they weren't in soil.. same method ive always used..

im having trouble with seeds from your seedbank too.. i got mossy's jem from the forum shop, 10 seeds. only 1 seed out of the 10 made it. but, i cannot complain.. the 5 freebies, mossy's auto-flowering mixed hybrids all germinated within 48hrs and are happy healthy seedlings..

it may be my own fault, perhaps they were kept in too warm a place while germinating.. either way, im happy.

munkman
18-12-08, 12:10 AM
i've had no trouble germing 10 fem barneys farm blue cheese all poped with in 12 hours!

i say bad luck, try a different company next time... thumbs up from me for barneys/greenhouse fem seeds

shark
18-12-08, 12:40 PM
yes...bad luck or maybe my own fault..they could have kept in too warm a place or too wet :(

cheddarBOB
18-04-11, 10:41 PM
I've always had good results with just dropping in a glass of water (in the dark).out of all the seeds I've done(about 30) only about 5 didn't germ.

Bobby Digital
18-04-11, 11:00 PM
omg!! seriously where the hell did you dig this up lmao :)