PDA

View Full Version : over watering?

sloshyjam
06-12-08, 02:10 PM
i've been growin my plants on a windowsill, but put them under a cfl 2 days ago. since then the new leaves have grown a funny shape and are all curled up. had a look around here and it would seem i might have overwater'd them but just wanted to check it out with you guys to make sure it wasnt the lights or anything else, cheers :joint:

whitewidman
06-12-08, 02:18 PM
I'd agree that looks like over watering you only need to water when the top inch or two is feeling dry. What size pots are they in as they look big for the pots in that photo?

sloshyjam
07-12-08, 12:16 AM
duno the size, but from other peoples photos i guess'd that they might be a bit too small, gun sort some new pots for tomoro. when their flowering what sort of size pot should they be in? :drool:

whitewidman
07-12-08, 09:26 AM
The final flowering pot sould be about 10 to 15 litre (bucket size) but unless the're auto flowering strain you sould move them up in pot size gradualy. As the roots start to appear at the drain holes that means it's time to repot. You do it gradualy so the roots slowly fill out the space and don't leave any for water to sit and go stale where the root are not sucking it up. Also mix your soil with roughly 40% perlite to assist drainage and encourage air to reach the roots as they need to breath as well. WWM

sloshyjam
07-12-08, 03:53 PM
cheers for that, gun look into repotting them now. :D

sloshyjam
11-12-08, 12:53 PM
just looked at the plants after a few days and they seem to be geting worse. any suggestions atall?
also, i know the picture is a bit crap but the new leaves oon one the plants have fairly large brown marks on them, again any suggestions?

thanks alot

THOMAS CHONG
11-12-08, 01:00 PM
M8 did you re-pot them?? if not i would asap cheers tombong

whitewidman
11-12-08, 07:31 PM
Don't forget to use perlite when you repot, and it's looking well overdue now.

sloshyjam
13-12-08, 12:14 AM
no i didnt, i had a look at the bottom of the pots and cudnt see any roots so thought it would be ok for a while, guess i was wrong. gonna defo sort out some new pots for them tomoro as soon as i wake up.
tried looking for some info on perlite and where to find it but nothing realy that useful came up, wot is it, bout how much it cost?

cheers

THOMAS CHONG
13-12-08, 11:19 AM
its just little white stones, it keeps drainage under control and helps air get to the roots....very good stuff.you can get it at b&q
cheers TOMBONG

sloshyjam
13-12-08, 01:21 PM
i've spent all day looking for perlite but couldnt find it any where, saw this and thought it might be the same kind of thing although its more of a powder than a gel, you reckon its any good? and ive got them in some new shiny 5 ltr pots hehe.

sloshyjam
13-12-08, 01:24 PM
the leaves are still dying and getting more brown, is it due to the pot size, will they be ok now or is it something else?

budster
13-12-08, 01:49 PM
My afgans started doing the same thing,they was only in small pots and they was well root bound,,ive since then re-potted in 14L buckets,ive only put 10L of soil + perlite into my buckets so they can be topped up..

Mine loved the re-pot only took about 2 days for them to take to :leaf:

unclefur
16-12-08, 09:48 PM
dude i feel so sorry for ya...all i can say is if u had them outside at first then brought them in to cfl's then they probably dont like all the change...the re-pot may only make things worse...put em outside ASAP

sloshyjam
18-12-08, 09:41 PM
they're still growing massively and the issue of the leaves turning brown continues, but seems to be steadying now. they will only die if i take em out of the cfl's cos we've only had like 4 hours pure sun in the last few days. never expected the seeds to germinate in the beginning anyway, so at least it'll be a learning experience and i know now for my second grow.

fingers crossed i get a spliff outta it tho!! :joint:

sloshyjam
23-12-08, 06:15 PM
just a little update, they've re-potted and now have a nice new shiny fan to cool them. they seem to be a lot healthier, although the one is realy showing the damage i caused :sorry:

but heres a few pics: