PDA

View Full Version : Need an "idiots guide to Ec/Ph adjustment"

gecko82
03-04-12, 02:52 PM
Been growing in soil for 5yrs now indoors and out and have finally decided it's time to move up to coco. Not jumping into hydro set up just yet, want to get a 2-3 grows under my belt with hand-watering before I buy a hydro set up. I'v read everything and really looking forward to learning something new. The one thing I just cant seem to find an answer too, is how to adjust the Ec and the Ph to keep them both at the correct levels? I search an search but can't seem to find the right answer, it's either a post about ec levels or ph levels not one about them both.
I'm either a complete dumb-ass or ...... no I think it's because I'm a complete dumb-ass sometimes! So please could some of you gents and ladies help me out, point me in the right direction.
All I want know is how to stop either one changing when I adjust the other? Oh and what coco specific nutes would people recommend? I'm leaning towards the Hesi range or should i just stick with AN iguana juice, big bud an hammerhead which I'm using for my soil grow? Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Azerbanphal
03-04-12, 07:35 PM
You adjust pH by using acid such as pH down or Nitric acid. Available from grow shops.
The only way to adjust ec is to dilute or add more nutrients to your nutrient reservoir/bucket whatever.

Hesi are very good nutrients, particularly for first time coco users since they are very forgiving and easy to use. I haven't used AN nutrients, but I'm sure they'd probably work fine too.

jimmi420
03-04-12, 07:42 PM
You adjust pH by using acid such as pH down or Nitric acid. Available from grow shops.
The only way to adjust ec is to dilute or add more nutrients to your nutrient reservoir/bucket whatever.

yes man......... canna is ok but most brands for coco are ive used lots and get the same results , hesi are part organic i think so as said forgiving but its a waste of time using an ec pen with them , i may be wrong though .

gecko82
03-04-12, 09:11 PM
The Ph I got down to a tee, dont even use a Ph meter with my soil grows now, so used to how much goes in the mix. So if I make my feed mix up get the Ph right and the Ec is low I add more food, if it off-sets the Ph do I just use more Ph down/up (depending on which way it goes) untill the Ph is back to where I want it and will that in turn knock the Ec out of range or will the Ec still be right as there is the right amount of food regardless of Ph?
I think I read in a post somewhere Azerbanphal that you had the best you used was Hesi for coco... Was in the favourite coco nutrients thread I think? Which kinda helped sway me for the first grow or two! Yeah I also read that in a few posts jimmi420, if that the case then I should be ok!?
So Hesi it is then!... What should I buy? TNT complex, Hesi coco, PK, Powerzyme, Epsom salts and maybe use a booster like BigBud aswell?
Going to try coco for my backgarden/greenhouse grow this year. Been told I'm mad and that it won't work but I don't see why not. As long as I don't let the coco dry out. Was thinking of adding some vermiculite maybe only 10-15% as it's good at holding many times it's own weight in water and having a layer of pebbles on the top of the coco.

Azerbanphal
03-04-12, 10:07 PM
hesi bloom has q high N.
You can get away with hesi bloom, maybe a root boost and a PK later on.

I'm using the plagron a/b atm which seems good, but the Hesi bloom is hard to beat.

gecko82
03-04-12, 11:12 PM
Thanks Azerbanphal everytime I need to know something I look on a thread and there you are with an answer.