PDA

View Full Version : shop bought cuttings

DesperateDan
14-04-12, 01:05 PM
hi all,

so a while ago when i was out shopping with the mother we decided to buy rooted cuttings taken from an apple tree and a plum tree. i also bought a 3 pack of rooted rasberry cuttings.

so the trees were put into 25L pots with a general bq compost and iv put the rasberries into some 10L airpots with soil taken from a vegetable grow bag, roughly between 1 and 2 month ago.

only one of the rasberries has started growing and there is not a single sign of growth on any of the other cuttings. iv treid watering them with some seaweed feed a few times but it doesnt seem to have done anything.

im now thinking maybe these others were a waste of money,
was just wondering if there is anything which somebody might be to suggest to help them on or should they just be sacked.

cheers all

TIKTOK
14-04-12, 02:20 PM
They like to be in slightly acidic soil and well drained and don't like being watered too much. That's all i can remember about them, just like growing strawberries. I planted five canes three years ago and they've been a bit slow but taking over this year.

Forest
14-04-12, 02:25 PM
try and wrap the pots in sth give em a bit of warmth, helps with most plants you want to root more ,

Stoorie
15-04-12, 06:37 PM
If it was one of those in a plastic bag with pretty cardboard round it then I've always had mixed results with those. The shops don't store them right.

Definitely try a wee bit of warmth in the pot dirt, but just leave it if you have space, you never know, some things just take longer, it's gardening , not science :)

bought a rose and a raspberry out the pound shop 2 weeks ago, rose is flourishing, raspberry is still just a stick in some nice dirt :)

so 2 quid for a nice rose. Not too shabby

glenn
14-05-12, 08:18 PM
Mine have just broke through the soil this week , The sticks are well still sticks lol .