PDA

View Full Version : Coco Catnip

DesperateDan
05-05-12, 12:04 PM
After watching the cat eat my mothers flowers when im round, iv decided to try and grow some catmint.
But trying to get a bag of compost of any kind, without a strong thriving colony of black fly around here is almost impossible so iv started them off in some left over coco with some other kinds of seeds.
The problem i see if feeding the catnip and not poisening the cat. with grwoing weed and chillies i know to flush them before harvest, but with catnip, the cat will be eating it while it is still growing.

so what would be the best kind of nutes to feed it or not.

Iv been using plant magic for my last few crops, so i was going to try their organic feeds and thought with it being 'organic' then it might be ok for the cat to eat. But is this a sound way of thinking or should i just buy a vegie grow bag and a big bottle of pestacide ?

Grandad
05-05-12, 01:24 PM
you know that stuff is like lsd to your cat?
i suppose you're slipping smack into the kids slushpuppies too!

Ganesha
05-05-12, 08:31 PM
I'd suggest keeping it well out of the way of the cat until it's established & growing well. Then you can transplant it into the garden & the cat will enjoy it as & when.

I've grown catnip on several occasions & quickly realised that it was the cats constantly harrassing the poor plant (chewing & eating it, rolling on it, clawing at it) that prevented it from thriving. Get it good & established & then unleash the feline to have its wicked way with the thing. It's the only way it will survive in my experience.

Oh & yes, LJS, it's brilliant watching cats when they're off their tits on the stuff. Hilarious to see. They're really on one! LOL! :laugh:

TheCandyManCan
05-05-12, 10:33 PM
The cat ain't stupid... if It's poisonous or minging the cat won't touch it.

DesperateDan
07-05-12, 06:56 PM
you know that stuff is like lsd to your cat?
i suppose you're slipping smack into the kids slushpuppies too!

i honestly had no idea what it done. not really somethng i thought of. just seen it in a few of the cat toys and just thought it was just such a strong scented plant that they went mad for it. thanks for the heads up

I'd suggest keeping it well out of the way of the cat until it's established & growing well. Then you can transplant it into the garden & the cat will enjoy it as & when.

i dont live with the cat, so i will get it well established before it goes. iv tried to start them in in three different pots so when one has been well munched can swap it.

The cat ain't stupid... if It's poisonous or minging the cat won't touch it.

iv never thought of it like that. thanks

been talking to an old friend who also grows and found out there it a hydro shop about 45 mins away on bus. and was told to give them a try for some decent soil. the bus fair will most likely be cheaper then the delivery costs so was thinking of going trying. will they more likely to not have any black fly in their soils or its just a risk i should take ???

niceneasy
07-05-12, 10:31 PM
Our cat has ate it for years & no ill effects, but you will need to keep it away from them to get a plant established. I usually set a few seedlings off & then cut the top off a clear 2-3lt bottle & put that over them. I'll offer some protection if you push the top in to the soil a little.