PDA

View Full Version : Biology question

Germy
07-05-12, 04:22 AM
Do I need a microtome to make plant cell slides(not interested in the onion slide!). I just want to be able to take samples of things to view under my scope. I would like to view under the 1600 which would require oil immersion. I understand that the oil is between the slide and objective, but what is the medium in the slide itself? Water, dye? I have searched the net and found good info, but these questions are remaining!

Thanks
Germy

Germy
08-05-12, 01:53 AM
Bumperoo!!!!

Phineasfreek
09-05-12, 02:49 PM
Canada balsam was the traditional mounting medium. This is a natural resin but takes ages to dry. Apparently Loctite Glass Bond works very well too. You do need UV light to cure it however (sunlight will do).

As for microtomes, yes they would be perfect if you can get hold of one. I used to use a cryostat for slicing 20micron sections (human brain tissue) but that's a little more serious than what ure after. Try searching on the microscopy UK website for ideas. In fact, I've just had a look, and they sell microtomes direct. Not cheap but worth it if you're serious.

Germy
09-05-12, 05:52 PM
Cool, just ordered a cheap microtome. It basically a razor and the tool! I need to do a little more research.