PDA

View Full Version : EC & PH Questions

Bud Lightyear
21-06-12, 09:44 PM
Hi Folks, decided to go from soil to coco, gonna be useing canna coco coir and there range of nutes and boosters.
My question is this, when you mix up your nute solution do you add the nutes to your water then mesure EC then PH the whole mix ?
Or do you PH the water then add the nuetes and adjust EC ?

Cheers in advance Folks. BL

Tabbatha
21-06-12, 10:06 PM
Hey bud,

Always add feed then additives and finally ph adjust after everything else, otherwise after adjusting you add more nutes etc and the ph/ec would change.. thus you'd have to adjust again.

Bottom-line.. always adjust ph last then allow to settle for 20 mins then measure then adjust again if necessary.

:)

the_grey_area
21-06-12, 10:10 PM
good to see u back mate.

im sure its the same as knocking up hydro nutes, get ur water let it stand for a bit, add nutes and whatever else, i have a lil water pump in the bottom of my water butt maxing everything up for 24hours then i ph to what i want and leave again for a couple of hours then double check again.

Bud Lightyear
21-06-12, 10:11 PM
Cheers Dude thats what i thought, just wanted clarification.
BL.

Azerbanphal
22-06-12, 05:28 PM
after a short amount of time you will probably nail ur ratios down. I usually chuck in pH down first (I know how much to put in my 15 litre buckets) and then just add all my nutes and stir.

But its best to do the proper method at first (nutes then pH down). Just take note of how much pH down you put in. I rarely bother to check pH or ec tbh.
Coco is a lot more forgiving than some hydro methods like nft and dwc, but you still need some accuracy. 1 thing I would recommend is varying the pH a little through the grow. Although around 5.8 is the sweetspot, I usually vary it a bit. When small seedlings I generall use a slightly lower pH value of around 5.5-5.6, and when in bloom I will give a bit of the full range of 5.6ish to 6.1 or so through different feed mixes week to week. Seems to work ok (idea in my mind is it gives a bit more of the full spectrum of nutes trying to avoid lockouts).