PDA

View Full Version : Air pots and choosing the right size with soil

frost313
05-07-12, 11:57 PM
Iv got the DR120 and its 200cm tall by 120cm wide and deep with parabolic 600hps with 5 plants in tent, not sure whether to get 10l or 15l airpots for flowering, not keeping a mother.

Greens recommend a 10l pot will support 100cm tall and a 15l pot with grow a support a plant upto 120cm tall with the pot being 33cm tall.

If it needed to be known im using plagron light mix with hesi nutes as Greens recommend that too.

What would be best 10l or 15l airpots?

Cheers guys

Talpa
06-07-12, 12:36 AM
I can tell you from personal experience a 10 Litre airpot will support an auto from start to finish.

A 15 Litre so far has supported a photoperiod fem during its veg stage so far, they are outside and relying on the spanish sun.

They looked like this about 5 days ago. Don't be mistaken by their size the black bin with clay balls is a 50 litre pot.

Will our daylight hours shortening now they have shown signs of the start of pre flowering.

Weather they will survive the flowering stretch without a repot remains to be seen.(Well they will have too as they need to be kept small). These have been outside since March/April and also have not been in full sun, as the roots would have just cooked.

Maybe the wilma guys will chip in, its the most explosive growth you will get. Find out what size they use in the 4 pot systems and how long they veg for. Mine have had about 8-10 weeks veg, they will need a repot but they aint getting it, im pushing them to see how they get on.

The pineapple express the one in the front, was in full sun and was in a 10 litre until I re potted it to a 15 litre, because it needed it, it was cooking in th esun but was also growing great. I have fed it twice so far as it showed signs of nitrogen def.

Judge as you will.

Tabbatha
06-07-12, 08:03 AM
Hey frost,

In my experience you can get seriously big plants from a 10ltr airpot in a 1.2 tent. I use a bunch of different sizes but my favourite overall is the 37ltr size because I can get away with less feeding and watering. I chose to go for a one big plant rather than lots of smaller ones.. but in the end I eneded up with loads anyway but that's another story. I've also had autos in 1ltr airpots as experiments, but I think 10l would be my minimum if I was growing them properly.

But, to be fair, a 10ltr airpot in a 1.2m tent should be ample for anyone, even if they were going for a long veg and a scrog. They're far superior to standard pots especially once a plant has been in soil for a while.

Then again, a 15ltr one isn't much bigger but will give you much wider plants with bigger fan leaves.

:)

babybud3232
06-07-12, 11:38 AM
I used 6l airpots with coco So for soil I would say 10l should give you some nice plants

Mr Pothead
06-07-12, 11:42 AM
Iv got a 6l also, its bigger than I thought it was, bigger than my 10l round pot, which doesn't make sense I know lol

frost313
06-07-12, 09:09 PM
But, to be fair, a 10ltr airpot in a 1.2m tent should be ample for anyone, even if they were going for a long veg and a scrog. They're far superior to standard pots especially once a plant has been in soil for a while.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Hey Tab, i aint going to be using autos, just 5 indica strains with a veg period of 4 or more weeks, then flowering for the 8+ weeks. I reckon 1.2m width and 2m height 10l airpots will be fine. Dont want to get it to crowded in there with mildew problems with the 15l pots. Not worth the risk unless the yeild will be alot different. Just wanted a heads up from people so i dont go and buy the wrong ones. 10l it is then. Unless anyone thinks different. Cheers guys

Tabbatha
06-07-12, 09:10 PM
Nah 10 will be ample in there mate.

If you had a bigger space maybe the 15ltrs.. or if you were only doing one on a long veg.. so crack on you'll be plenty happy with what a 10ltr airpot will manage especially for a photo.

B.A.BARACUS
06-07-12, 09:15 PM
Interesting read chaps.. I have 4x6l airpots and 4x20l airpots for potting up, all will be revealed very soon (hehe) :)

B.A.BARACUS
26-07-12, 07:12 PM
I think your pot isn't too small. If it is larger than what is needed, the likelihood of water settling inside and staying there for a long time is high. Take note that orchids are air plants and they do not need to be planted in soil. Orchids do need water from time to time but their roots should not be overly submerged in water. On the other end, you should not choose a pot that is too small because if you do, there won't be enough room for the roots to grow properly. Bottom line, you need to choose a pot that is just right for your orchids. Some orchid growers may take this for granted but the size of your pot can actually determine if your orchid will survive or not.

:wtf:
I think you talk a load of brown stuff... PS ram your orchids :)

Dan69
26-07-12, 08:22 PM
just in the middle of mr first grow,but have been looking at the airpots for next grow,but cant find no info on them on here? on how they work and why they are better than the norm

frost313
26-07-12, 08:58 PM
just in the middle of mr first grow,but have been looking at the airpots for next grow,but cant find no info on them on here? on how they work and why they are better than the norm

There better for root development, i cant see a down side to them

frost313
26-07-12, 08:59 PM

Haha nice one

frost313
26-07-12, 09:00 PM
I think your pot isn't too small. If it is larger than what is needed, the likelihood of water settling inside and staying there for a long time is high. Take note that orchids are air plants and they do not need to be planted in soil. Orchids do need water from time to time but their roots should not be overly submerged in water. On the other end, you should not choose a pot that is too small because if you do, there won't be enough room for the roots to grow properly. Bottom line, you need to choose a pot that is just right for your orchids. Some orchid growers may take this for granted but the size of your pot can actually determine if your orchid will survive or not.

I know they will survive, just wondered if i should get 15ltr ones over 10ltr airpots. I reckon 10 will be fine for my Orchids lol

Tabbatha
26-07-12, 11:02 PM

Ever heard of Google? If you type the word "airpots" into it.. the first result is the website of airpots where they have videos on how airpots work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhZeeTrfs0&feature=player_embedded

frost313
29-07-12, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that TAb, i just got myself some Airpots, they look a bit odd to me, they look a bit too tall and too slim.
Bought as 10L
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/1576.JPG

Tabbatha
29-07-12, 08:58 PM
No worries, frost. Always happy to be a sarcastic twat late at night ;)

Yep the 10ltr ones are a bit tall.. but that's good though. I've got a 37ltr one on the go right now (link to diary in my sig).

You know what though seeing that 2ltr bottle next to it.. I can't work out how the hell you'd get five of those in that pot :confused:

Ah well.. happy airpot growing fella. I'm sure t won't disappoint.

paul_sheff
29-07-12, 09:13 PM
i grew in 20l air pots and my plants grew lovely, will not go back to standard pots, bit of a nack to watering em but ya get used to it

paul

B.A.BARACUS
29-07-12, 09:21 PM
Nice 1 Paul Sheffield owl or blade ? Lol..

This time round am going for 30oz if you like lol

600w parabolic shade in coco with a scrog... 4 plants I'm doing so that's 7.5 oz per plant..

Been looking at the equivalent led =!600 w hps... Light me Sheffield light me lol

Keeno
29-07-12, 09:24 PM
im gonna invest in some airpots for next grow, there are to many good points not to.

mumbles
27-08-12, 05:05 PM
ive tried 10 litre ones and there good reverted back to normal pots but will be trying an auto or 4 in 20 litre airpots next

King Chong
03-09-12, 05:16 PM

Fuckin A Boycie hahaha

For a start, how the fuck is water gonna sit, in an airpot??

Secondly, wtf you talking about root development, airpots are a breakthrough in root dev. Lol

Thirdly Orchids??? Stay off the crack punk!!!!!!!

B.A.BARACUS
03-09-12, 05:44 PM
Fuckin A Boycie hahaha

For a start, how the fuck is water gonna sit, in an airpot??

Secondly, wtf you talking about root development, airpots are a breakthrough in root dev. Lol

Thirdly Orchids??? Stay off the crack punk!!!!!!!

Oi muppet and member for only 2 weeks??

Read my posts correctly & quote them for me, of you know how too?

Now who's on the crack? Pfffft noobs I shit em!!!!

B.A.BARACUS
03-09-12, 05:53 PM
Sorry king chong mate. I read it wrong

Grub
03-09-12, 05:54 PM
Keep it clean fellas eh?!

It's too nice a day for people to be stuck in the sin bin. :)

B.A.BARACUS
03-09-12, 05:56 PM
My fault on this occasion.. I read it wrong..

Bud Lightyear
03-09-12, 06:03 PM

Stop smoking Orchids dude, Man that must be some serious shit.

Regards BL

King Chong
03-09-12, 06:12 PM
Lol I was gonna say, lol
Although I could have directed it more clearly at the orchid smoker

Gixer77
23-04-14, 11:07 AM
Is it wise to start smaller baby plants off in small air pots and then repot them to the bigger ones, or just start off the babies in regular pots? I would think that repotting a baby may be difficult if there is a good root system developed as I can't see the soil/roots sliding out of an air pot easily? I was recommended 18L air pots for my 4 White Widows once they are big enough, but I worry about overwatering and root rot with a pot that size? Noob questions sorry, be gentle ;)