PDA

View Full Version : Spell 125 (Book of the Dead)

asci
26-07-07, 11:21 AM
Biblical Controversy

Spotted this nugget the other day. Makes alot of sense once the timeline of each has been established (Egyptian - Greek - Roman - Christian)..:

Spell 125 is probably the best-known segment of the Book of the Dead. It deals with the dead soul's judgment by Osiris and his 42 judge deities.

The deceased soul must recite the "declaration of innocence" which is addressed to Osiris and consists of the denial of a series of wrong-doings in order to assure Osiris that he has lived a decent life. The deceased must then address the 42 judges by name and deny a further 42 transgressions (one per judge). If the deceased is subsequently found worthy he will be taken before Osiris who will lead him to the realm of the blessed.

The content of some of the statements of denial or the 'negative confession' (I have done no falsehood, I have not robbed, I have not killed men) has led some scholars to hypothesize that Spell 125 may be the basis for the Biblical Ten Commandments

D
26-07-07, 11:26 AM
I love Egyptian Mythology, I think they had the only religion that made sense.

Speaking of Egyptian, I'm listening to Nile, haha.

asci
26-07-07, 11:31 AM
lol. I must admit, I have a massive love for their history. Generally speaking it pre-dates just about every other culture..

(strictly speaking it's not called the book of the dead, this is a newish name. It should be just funeral text. It wasn't even a book either but hey hehe)

The Snow Queen
26-07-07, 11:40 AM
hmmmmm.... The Ten Commandments. How many people live by them all?

So, Osiris? et al. Supposing you haven't done 42 transgressions? What happens if you've forgotten their names??? or is that a transgression in itself?

I say Bole Ax... his/their opinion of me? is not my business lol..... :D xxx xxx

asci
26-07-07, 12:28 PM
hmmmmm.... The Ten Commandments. How many people live by them all?

So, Osiris? et al. Supposing you haven't done 42 transgressions? What happens if you've forgotten their names??? or is that a transgression in itself?

I say Bole Ax... his/their opinion of me? is not my business lol..... :D xxx xxx

Forget their names and you're in major bother I'd say.. :)

Midnight Toker
26-07-07, 12:31 PM

Oh shit, that's all the tokers fucked then :)

asci
26-07-07, 12:33 PM
Oh shit, that's all the tokers fucked then :)

It's ok, by smoking the herb you are effectively handed a get out of jail free card.. :)

The Snow Queen
26-07-07, 12:41 PM

Yeah Yeah...

I'll talk my way out of it when I get there.... wherever There is lol... xxx