PDA

View Full Version : Bonsai grow diary

Vador
10-08-12, 05:47 PM
Hey peeps
I've just bought some bonsai seeds and I'm getting them ready to germinate, I thought I would start a little diary so ive got somewhere to post some pics.
I have got Japanese cedar x30
And some firethorn x10

I am going to grow them all and eventually put 2 cedar and 1firethorn into the same pot and make a mini Forrest, most probably give the rest away.

I have bought some pots (a bit early I know) and some soil

Now I just have to wait 8 weeks while the seeds chill out in the fridge

According to the instructions that came with them the best way to germ is, put them in some tissue in the bag and add some water, keep in the fridge for 60 days or 8 weeks then take them out and plant like normal. Apparently it's imitating the seeds being sat on the ground in winter, then the weather gets better and they grow

I'm a little bit optimistic to be honest but hey ho just going to have to wait it out and see,

I doubt I'll have anything to report for a while as the seeds aren't going to grow in the fridge so see ya in 8 weeks

Drugs and alcohol is never the answer, Unless someone asks what I'm doing tonight

Smokeypants
09-10-12, 09:49 PM
Any updates? it's been 8 weeks :)

Axeman
09-10-12, 10:09 PM
I love bonsai trees good luck wif it vador

Toke on
Axe

jumpon
09-10-12, 10:43 PM
Bloody hell, good luck, even those little things you see in the shop have grown for years. Got a little into it at one point. My last attempt was to look for a hawthorn or something growing wild that i could then turn into a bonsai, couldn't be arsed in the end. Rosemary and thyme make good easy little plants too.

Vador
09-10-12, 11:14 PM
Sorry chaps forgot to update.
Well a couple of weeks ago I planted up about 8 of each of the seeds into some soil and chucked them in a propagator in the airing cupboard, I've kept the soil damp but no sign of life yet, I put 1 of each of the seeds into root riot cubes as well. I know it's going to take ages but I've got plenty of time

I still have loads of seeds left in the fridge so I might experiment.

Wonder if it would help if I moved the propagator into the groom??

Shinigami
09-10-12, 11:58 PM
Sorry chaps forgot to update.
Well a couple of weeks ago I planted up about 8 of each of the seeds into some soil and chucked them in a propagator in the airing cupboard, I've kept the soil damp but no sign of life yet, I put 1 of each of the seeds into root riot cubes as well. I know it's going to take ages but I've got plenty of time

I still have loads of seeds left in the fridge so I might experiment.

Wonder if it would help if I moved the propagator into the groom??

I am really interested in this.

Would it need powered lighting, or just the north-west UK sun?

Im expecting it would need nutrients, but how much?

I prefer growing canna, but would enjoy this, i don't want any recurring, stupid costs, and what sort of nutrients? can it grow in coco?

Vador
10-10-12, 04:44 PM
I am really interested in this.

Would it need powered lighting, or just the north-west UK sun?

Im expecting it would need nutrients, but how much?

I prefer growing canna, but would enjoy this, i don't want any recurring, stupid costs, and what sort of nutrients? can it grow in coco?

To be honest mate I'm not really sure, this is my first time growing these so don't really know what's gonna happen.
Someone mentioned in one of my threads that you can pick seedlings off the ground just before summer and grow those into bonsai.

As for nutes there are some nutes for bonsai, I looked on eBay and there's loads but its probably not all that different to what we use anyway

dbuk
10-10-12, 07:25 PM
Il upload a pic of my bonsai tree attempt here if you don't mind?, I took a cutting of a twisted hazel tree and put it in a shallow wooden tray got the roots growing around a bit of broken pot and moss growing on top of the soil, need to get it in a proper pot next year...

dbuk
11-10-12, 01:27 PM
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/3127/medium/SAM_0515.JPG
its the longest iv kept one alive, i went wrong with the ones you can buy already done because most trees enjoy living outdoors even in the winter.
gave it a drop of weak tomato food every so often and kept it damp and its still going if it comes back in the spring il be chuffed to bits:)

Vador
11-10-12, 01:50 PM
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/3127/medium/SAM_0515.JPG
its the longest iv kept one alive, i went wrong with the ones you can buy already done because most trees enjoy living outdoors even in the winter.
gave it a drop of weak tomato food every so often and kept it damp and its still going if it comes back in the spring il be chuffed to bits:)

Interesting, I like what you have done with the broken pot, it's amazing the roots are bare on display and yet she still grows.
Keep up the good work and don't forget to keep us updated with pictures

dbuk
11-10-12, 02:15 PM
Will do when I get my new pot :)

Axeman
11-10-12, 09:05 PM
Nice work dbuk keep up the good work sir.

Toke on
Axe

eyes wide shut
12-10-12, 05:31 PM
shit just had a look at how much they cost to buy a full tree! always wanted a bonsai tree might have to have a look at getting one aswell i was thinking apple tree or maple tree maybe both.
good luck!

Ganesha
12-10-12, 06:34 PM
This was a compo we had a couple of years back - I thought everyone might enjoy it:

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?29371-Official-bonsai-competition

There are some class plants in there. I tried the 'roots over rock' thing myself, dbuk, as you'll see from the pics.

jumpon
12-10-12, 11:06 PM
This was a compo we had a couple of years back - I thought everyone might enjoy it:

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?29371-Official-bonsai-competition

There are some class plants in there. I tried the 'roots over rock' thing myself, dbuk, as you'll see from the pics.

That has to be one of the best bonsai tree's i've seen, it strangely looks natural.

Ganesha
12-10-12, 11:24 PM
That has to be one of the best bonsai tree's i've seen, it strangely looks natural.

Which one??! LOL! They were all (the finalists) outstanding! I was a complete Gentleman & didn't vote for myself - I voted for Ariadne. Stunning plant. Adambomb's was nice too. But, hey, they were all good. :)

Great compo & great idea. All down to BURNZ.

eyes wide shut
13-10-12, 12:26 AM
love the roots over the rock idea!

RastaMouse22
13-10-12, 12:07 PM
likeing the bonsai diary idea pal.. may start one as well :)

cant remember the name of mine bought at 10 months old and a shabby sorry bush.. ive had it for 9 months fed grow once.. when i 1 got it bout a month later toped it.. gave a lil lst and she is looking great for it.. only problem was few months back i did a soil replace (lift it up and scrape the soil away gently) used a bonsai specific soil and bout a week later leaves started to burn..

she spent bout 8months indoors on the window cil in my room.. the burn happened outdoors so now shes at my new flat shitting on the window cil.. facing north :)..

got a pik if you wanna see? quite a girly one though... lol..

anyways pal im subbed good luck :)

peace

jumpon
15-10-12, 12:48 PM
Which one??! LOL! They were all (the finalists) outstanding! I was a complete Gentleman & didn't vote for myself - I voted for Ariadne. Stunning plant. Adambomb's was nice too. But, hey, they were all good. :)

Great compo & great idea. All down to BURNZ.

Oh pants sorry for the late reply, the one on the first page, i didn't look through all 24 pages, my bad

dbuk
15-10-12, 02:31 PM
Just took 10 or so silver birch cuttings gonna grow me a little 1 pot forest :)

Vador
15-10-12, 05:29 PM
so now shes at my new flat shitting on the window cil.. facing north :)..

Sounds messy lol hope you have something under her to catch it

Vador
31-12-12, 04:36 PM
Right so it's been 4 months since I started this thread and absolutely nothing has happened with these bonsai seeds.

Given up with that idea bring on project bonsai.
I was walking around b&q a few weeks ago and I spotted a dead bonsai tree, soil bone dry and every leaf was dry and falling off.
It was sat there with a half price tag on, my mate looked at it and said who would pay £6 for that, by the time he said that I already had picked it up and had it in my basket,
"What the fuck you want with a dead bonsai??" he asked

PROJECT BONSAI

Ok so here is a look at her looking in a sorry state
Most of the leafs just shook off but there are still a few that are clinging on.

Been giving her rhizo, cannazyme and formulex along with plenty of fresh water when she needs it.

Already she has responded and there is new growth popping up in 5 different places
Sorry about the photos couldn't get the camera to focus

I think she is going to pull through,

I'll keep updating as things progress

RastaMouse22
31-12-12, 07:13 PM
Hmm maybe there is hope for my pretty much dead bonsai after all :).. just ordered some japanese cedar seeds 35 for 3.57 not bad..

Gave the dead one some super thrive week ago nothing so far :( lol

Anyways good luck vador :)

Vador
31-12-12, 07:32 PM
Cheers bud, and good luck getting your seeds going, I had no luck with mine.
Followed the instructions to the T and nothing. Oh well hope you have better luck with yours

RastaMouse22
01-01-13, 12:53 PM
Dont say that mate lol ordered yesterday delivery is estimated 3-10 working days joy lol

Just realised i put shitting on my post before should be sitting :p.. would of been very messy pmsl

Hopefully atleast 1 of 35 better germ lol did a bit of reading of em yesterday and i remember reading that they have pisspoor germ rates anyways.. really hope i get atleast one lol.

Peace

Vador
01-01-13, 02:58 PM
A heated propogator might help, mines not heated and they didn't germ

Shinigami
01-01-13, 05:33 PM
For normal bonsai seeds, the temp for germing should be 10-15c for subtropical 13-18c and for tropical 20-24c (not sure on the last one but it's around those numbers)

They are supposed to be hard to germinate, first being soaked in water for 6hours,then all what sink put in a damp plastic bag at the bottom of the fridge where the temperatures should be around 4c, then gradually over two weeks move them to the top of the friends where the temperatures should be just above freezing, and then over another 2 weeks move them back down to the bottom before sowing them in a mix of organic compost and sand at 1:1 keeping the medium damp, but not soaking wet, then it can take months to actually germinate, and years to get a trunk even 1" thick, I can't help but think it would be a hell of a lot easier to just take a walk in a park or forest, find a sapling, uproot it, then replant it, that would save you months of wasted time?

Obviously you would need the right season, and know how to identify a sapling, but half an hour on Google can easily fix that....

It's because of the amount of time, dedication, patience and the sheer beauty of the finished product what makes them so desirable, and are not easy to get going...

If you are going to do this, I would suggest getting something similar to the large run off trays you can get for grow tents, they sell them on growell and come in a range of sizes up to 1m x 1m and use one of those, or similar to make yourself a miniature forest, it would be much more rewarding than a single bonsai and it will be what you end up doing after you finish your first bonsai anyway, so save yourself the time of sending years on a single bonsai, then going to make a miniature forest, and start the forest straight away, you can always add to it, and change it if your careful enough.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2

Vador
01-01-13, 06:27 PM
Good advice there tokeit.
Wish my seeds had come with instructions like that

Shinigami
01-01-13, 06:51 PM
Good advice there tokeit.
Wish my seeds had come with instructions like that

A quick google search can answer a lot of questions, when the seeds float it means the seeds are dead, an empty shell... so you only go any further with seeds what sink, unless the seeds are small like poppy seeds as a high surface tension can make them all stay afloat.

Vador
07-01-13, 07:38 PM
Ok so it's been 7 days since this

Already she has responded and there is new growth popping up in 5 different places

Now look
Not the best quality I know (thanks apple) but you can see all the new growth, the whole bonsai has come back to life.
There you have it cannazyme, rhizo and formulex saved the day

RastaMouse22
10-01-13, 12:24 AM
For normal bonsai seeds, the temp for germing should be 10-15c for subtropical 13-18c and for tropical 20-24c (not sure on the last one but it's around those numbers)

They are supposed to be hard to germinate, first being soaked in water for 6hours,then all what sink put in a damp plastic bag at the bottom of the fridge where the temperatures should be around 4c, then gradually over two weeks move them to the top of the friends where the temperatures should be just above freezing, and then over another 2 weeks move them back down to the bottom before sowing them in a mix of organic compost and sand at 1:1 keeping the medium damp, but not soaking wet, then it can take months to actually germinate, and years to get a trunk even 1" thick, I can't help but think it would be a hell of a lot easier to just take a walk in a park or forest, find a sapling, uproot it, then replant it, that would save you months of wasted time?

Obviously you would need the right season, and know how to identify a sapling, but half an hour on Google can easily fix that....

It's because of the amount of time, dedication, patience and the sheer beauty of the finished product what makes them so desirable, and are not easy to get going...

If you are going to do this, I would suggest getting something similar to the large run off trays you can get for grow tents, they sell them on growell and come in a range of sizes up to 1m x 1m and use one of those, or similar to make yourself a miniature forest, it would be much more rewarding than a single bonsai and it will be what you end up doing after you finish your first bonsai anyway, so save yourself the time of sending years on a single bonsai, then going to make a miniature forest, and start the forest straight away, you can always add to it, and change it if your careful enough.

Cheers for that toke it :D.. my jap cedar seeds arrived today popped 10 into some water today all but 3 have sunk.. the guide just says to put in fridge after 24h soak... yours sounds better :D..
May do as you suggested n get a small try for em all together.. i wanna keep one seperate as i want to add it to my crested geckos viv.. gonna have some other live plants in there may do a dripper system :D
Cheers again pal

Ok so it's been 7 days since this

Now look
Not the best quality I know (thanks apple) but you can see all the new growth, the whole bonsai has come back to life.
There you have it cannazyme, rhizo and formulex saved the day

Awesome stuff vador has come along splendidly :bigjoint:.. well i got 2 months min before they germ.. so i may save the bonsai you have inspired me to :D..

Peace :bigjoint:

RastaMouse22
10-01-13, 12:27 PM
A quick google search can answer a lot of questions, when the seeds float it means the seeds are dead, an empty shell... so you only go any further with seeds what sink, unless the seeds are small like poppy seeds as a high surface tension can make them all stay afloat.

Out of 10.. 9 have sunk :D the mrs likes this idea of a mini forest aswell :D.

Sorry to hijack abit there vador lol

Peace

Shinigami
10-01-13, 12:39 PM
Not sure how to grow moss, but that would be really in a miniature forest as well :-) as grass like

TwistedWhispers
10-01-13, 01:46 PM
I always thought Bonsai Trees took centuries to make? I remember seeing some centuries old.. They are quite amazing.. However starting one from scratch... I don't think I would have the patience....

psychocannanaut
10-01-13, 01:54 PM
wicked mate, glad to see she has shown some vigor and is pulling through
looks like she was fairly established in the first place so you've got yourself a bargain at 6 pound. she will be a little beast before you know it. wicked

Vador
10-01-13, 05:56 PM
wicked mate, glad to see she has shown some vigor and is pulling through
looks like she was fairly established in the first place so you've got yourself a bargain at 6 pound. she will be a little beast before you know it. wicked

I had a feeling when I bought it that she will live again, that was half the reason I did buy it.
She has come along some more since the last photos so ill try get some more up.
Got to sort the groom out first and get some new seeds germed so probably won't be till later

Vador
10-01-13, 05:57 PM
Sorry, multi quote'ing with tapatalk and forgot to paste the rest of you in

Awesome stuff vador has come along splendidly :bigjoint:.. well i got 2 months min before they germ.. so i may save the bonsai you have inspired me to :D..

Peace :bigjoint:
Cheers bud, yeah it has come on really well hasn't it.
Yeah give it a go see if you can save yours too, their might be hope for it, mine was in a right state when I got it.

Sorry to hijack abit there vador lol
Peace

No worries pal, post as much as you like

Not sure how to grow moss, but that would be really in a miniature forest as well :-) as grass like

I have seen you can buy packs of moss, I assume its seeds or something, pretty sure I saw them on eBay

I always thought Bonsai Trees took centuries to make? I remember seeing some centuries old.. They are quite amazing.. However starting one from scratch... I don't think I would have the patience....

Yeah your right they do take a long time but hey I've got plenty of time to kill while I wait for my ganja to grow lol

Shinigami
10-01-13, 06:11 PM
Hey, how hard can moss be to grow? Hell, years ago iv seen it growing on the rubber seal of an old bus window, although it's got to be extremely hardy, probably more so than grass, so actual 'packs' of moss isn't too unbelievable, you can buy grass in sheets, Haha

RastaMouse22
10-01-13, 06:26 PM
Sorry, multi quote'ing with tapatalk and forgot to paste the rest of you in

Cheers bud, yeah it has come on really well hasn't it.
Yeah give it a go see if you can save yours too, their might be hope for it, mine was in a right state when I got it.

No worries pal, post as much as you like

I have seen you can buy packs of moss, I assume its seeds or something, pretty sure I saw them on eBay

Yeah your right they do take a long time but hey I've got plenty of time to kill while I wait for my ganja to grow lol

Went to check an water the bonsai i decided to chuck it in my veg cab btw.. think .5-1ml formulex to a a litre and a drop of super thrive... noticed right down at the bottom.. a new shoot :D.. not if its the super thrive or the lights?

All the other leaves are crispy.. should i remove the dead bits or just let it do it thing?.. i dont mean remove it all right now in a couple weeks once theres abit more growth.

Happy days :D

Shinigami
10-01-13, 06:44 PM
I'm looking to get myself a miniature forest, buy a few different bonsai trees, and multiple of them, then repot into a 60 x 60 x 10cm ish tray, was thinking put elevated in the garden (on some sort of frame holding them level with the fence) but after reading to avoid direct sunlight, and over watering that plan went to shot, so thought about growing indoors in some sort of tent, but don't want too much light, or too little.. What you say for 6-9 bonsai? 70w HPS? 100w cfl? 200w

PC Grower
10-01-13, 08:06 PM
read a thing on internet about growing moss.. the guys technique was like this....

1. Get some grown moss from outside (forest etc)
2. chop it up fine with a razor blade
3. sprinkle it over where you want it to grow
4. keep it moist with a trigger spayer
5. do not disturb with watering your plants from above with watercan. To water plants, sit them in a larger tank of water for 5 mins so the soil gets a good soaking form below

Not sure if it works or not as iv never tried it, but it seems logical enough

steve

Vador
13-01-13, 05:56 PM
Right so I spent a little bit of time earlier taking off all the dead leafs, all that is left is new growth
As you can see she is doing really well now and there's new growth appearing all over.
I'm gonna give pc growers idea about growing moss a go.

Duke1
11-02-13, 10:41 PM
hi guys just thought id throw in my tuppence worth,for a start there is no such thing as bonsai seeds,only tree seed that is suitable to be grown as bonsai.if you want to grow your own,buy tree seed from a garden centre or tree specialist,most seed needs scarifying to get it to germinate,this is done simply by puting your seeds in a glass jar with sharp dry horticulture sand and shaking for 30 minutes.some tree seed needs "breaking"this is when you give fresh collected seeds 3 months or so in the fridge,then plant as normal to wake the seed from its natural dormancy.i have grown bonsai for 30 years and have been saddened by the so called bonsai kits i have never found one that works,i think there old seeds that are not fit for sale any other way than to trick people.as others have said collecting trees from the edges of woods or digging up trees that have grown in difficult places can be a good source,but you have to be careful as it is illegal to dig up trees in forestry comission woods.the easiest way is to find a realy good shape branch from an established tree and air layer it,this is how many bonsai start life.and of course many trees can be easily struck from cuttings,which gives a bit of a headstart with the trunk.but guys please dont waste your hard earned dough on them kits,there crap.

green grass
12-02-13, 01:49 AM
looks like its coming back to life mate. well done. good job your not waiting to smoke it tho lol

kewlbeanz
12-02-13, 02:06 AM
read a thing on internet about growing moss.. the guys technique was like this....

1. Get some grown moss from outside (forest etc)
2. chop it up fine with a razor blade
3. sprinkle it over where you want it to grow
4. keep it moist with a trigger spayer
5. do not disturb with watering your plants from above with watercan. To water plants, sit them in a larger tank of water for 5 mins so the soil gets a good soaking form below

Not sure if it works or not as iv never tried it, but it seems logical enough

steve

Moss just rips up like friggin carpet man, its brilliant! A filling knife and a walk in the woods can get you a good lawns' worth!

rajehn27
12-02-13, 04:22 AM
Who want to have a free bonsai here??

rajehn27
12-02-13, 04:24 AM
I'm posting random stupid stuff on the forum so that sweet Mod Sheila Banned me :D

Cuda
01-03-13, 12:33 AM
Hows the bonsai going now????

Intelligence provided by Tapatalk
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?t=92482

Vador
29-03-13, 10:02 PM
Hows the bonsai going now????

Intelligence provided by Tapatalk
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?t=92482

Hey
Sorry for the late reply, haven't been online for a while.
Yeah bonsai is coming along nicely now
Just been keeping up the formulex, rhizo and cannazyme feeding, she's doing really well

kewlbeanz
29-03-13, 10:21 PM
She is indeed sir, looks much tidier than the 60ft one in our yard!
Have you considered giving it a holiday under an HPS?
My Chinese elm just spent it's 19th birthday sunning itself in the spare corner of my tent and it responded REALLY well.

stonedkiwi
30-03-13, 06:10 AM
You have a Chinese elm indoors?

Vador
30-03-13, 08:20 AM
She is indeed sir, looks much tidier than the 60ft one in our yard!
Have you considered giving it a holiday under an HPS?
My Chinese elm just spent it's 19th birthday sunning itself in the spare corner of my tent and it responded REALLY well.

Yeah I did think about getting her in the groom, only trouble is I've had a little white bug infestation on all my chilli plants, they were sat next to the bonsai for a while so I don't want to risk infecting the groom.
I think the bonsai is enjoying it in the in the bathroom, especially when someone has a shower and the room steams up