PDA

View Full Version : co2 question.

Keeno
17-09-12, 01:51 PM
hello all,
still a newbie. only second grow. i have a question about co2. this might sound silly, but here it goes.

i cannot afford a all singing all dancing co2 kit atm. but i got my missus soda stream last christmas, she has never used the bloody thing! i got loads of spare co2 bottles for it. will it be ok if i just sprayed some of that in the tent. a little each day????

thanks for any replies!

GBK
17-09-12, 01:54 PM
I did ask the same question some time ago, as I have a life time supply of Co2 bottles for cluster migraines, I was told its different and that its carbon monoxide or something simular you need, The co2 is not the right stuff

Keeno
17-09-12, 01:54 PM
thanks man!

GBK
17-09-12, 01:56 PM
thanks man!

I might be wrong, so always worth waiting for a second opinion

Sparky1696
17-09-12, 04:19 PM
Hi ato sorry 2 hear about u being a fellow cluster headache sufferer like myself! Haven't tried the co2 myself, does it work? I take no medication what so ever for them and just try and manage them by way of avoiding known triggers( alcohol, phenylanine( present in most diet food and drinks) tried almost everything but last year stumbled across a very interesting website called cluster busters. As it happens it's just about magic mushroom season so will be going psyclocybe hunting very soon! Got to be worth a go mate coz as u know a cluster headache can be fucking excruciating! Have u found a strain that helps?

Icon
17-09-12, 04:40 PM
It wont do any harm if you dont over do it.
You need to make sure everything else is spot on for the plants to take advantage but if you keep at it you will eventually work out whats best but as to how long this will take I wouldnt like to guess
A PPM meter for CO2 would help
And a fast reduction in extraction so the plants can take advantage
I have tried CO2 a few times in various forms with very little success though some people swear by it, these are generally the ones that have gone the whole hog and got the room setup to use it effectively.
Personally I think its easier to increase the yield by cheaper methods but some people that have limited space/lights may think differently.

ATB
Icon

Anonymiss
17-09-12, 04:42 PM
I have a life time supply of Co2 bottles
...Picture is of an oxygen bottle, not carbon dioxide...

GBK
17-09-12, 04:50 PM
...Picture is of an oxygen bottle, not carbon dioxide...

Exactly, Thats why I said you need carbon monoxide or something, But you have said it correctly , carbon dioxide, Is co2 not the same thing as oxygen ?

Master Poet
17-09-12, 05:08 PM
Exactly, Thats why I said you need carbon monoxide or something, But you have said it correctly , carbon dioxide, Is co2 not the same thing as oxygen ?

http://420askit.com/htgb/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/obama-lmao.jpg

Keeno
17-09-12, 05:12 PM
just got one of the bottles out. what i have is carbon dioxide.

Anonymiss
17-09-12, 05:12 PM
Is co2 not the same thing as oxygen ?

Nope.

Oxygen = O2
Carbon dioxode = CO2
Carbon monoxide = CO (Very poisonous. A 0.32% concentration leads to death within 30 minutes, 1.28% in under 3 minutes.)

Keeno
17-09-12, 05:14 PM
Nope.

Oxygen = O2
Carbon dioxode = CO2
Carbon monoxide = CO (Very poisonous. A 0.32% concentration leads to death within 30 minutes, 1.28% in under 3 minutes.)

as usual little miss anonymiss with all the details. is there anything you dont know.

will a little bit of my carbon dioxide do the trick?

L
17-09-12, 05:15 PM

Lmao,
That is the best thing I have read all week :)

Icon
17-09-12, 05:32 PM
LOls this thread is becoming a chemistry lesson

Carbon Di Oxide is good thats CO2

Oxygen is in fact simply O the CO2 is one molecule of Carbon and two Molecules of O hence the O2 Carbon monoxide is CO with only one Oxygen molecule which is why its so poisonous because it is trying to become CO2 by grabbing further O molecules. Thats a very simplistic view of it without googling. It can be gone into a far deeper discussion but thats not relative to you here.

ATB
Icon

jumpon
17-09-12, 11:55 PM
From my memory and someone correct me if i'm wrong, but co2 gets taken up on lights out, and i think we are about 250 ppm and you will need about 900 ppm to get any effect, as long as all other requirements are running supreme. Plus you'll have to turn your vents off if you do it. I messed around with co2 fermentation, masked the smell, but was in a wooden box grow and i think that helped with mould spores every where, i swear.

But thats my uptake on it all.

dreadsoljah
05-10-12, 01:30 AM
i think u may have it the other way around icon....its just that the plants respirate during lights on....this is the time to gas the lil buggass...otherwise yer juz gassing yer mites!
and yes the ventilation needs to be tight during gassing..900 is a good start..unless you truly have a neverending supply of o2 for proliferate your outside with...groin on!

Samwize
03-11-12, 09:17 PM
CO2 tablets into the resevoir increases the amount of CO2 in the water and can be beneficial to the plants but as another user has stated you should only do this during the day, CO2 is CO2 no matter where it comes from if you have that in the form of soda bottles I don't see why it wouldn't work, another cheap method is to have a bucket of fermenting yeast in the grow room, to ensure the CO2 is coming out you can put a bit of silicon tube in the water attached to a syringe if the syringe is getting pushed up it is working :)

jumpon
04-11-12, 12:07 AM
CO2 tablets into the resevoir increases the amount of CO2 in the water and can be beneficial to the plants but as another user has stated you should only do this during the day, CO2 is CO2 no matter where it comes from if you have that in the form of soda bottles I don't see why it wouldn't work, another cheap method is to have a bucket of fermenting yeast in the grow room, to ensure the CO2 is coming out you can put a bit of silicon tube in the water attached to a syringe if the syringe is getting pushed up it is working :)

Never used them, but i can't imagine that it will be useful, when you add up the time and cost, you could go much further on upgrading other bit's in your groom to get better bud production. If thou you have a sealed grow room thats got all the bells and whistles, then you could give it ago, but if you have a top of the range groom and wanted to add CO2 then you'll have the cash to get tanks and control valves etc.

Not to sure if putting one in a res would be good. Say you got a dwc then add CO2 to the res your kind of defeating the goal.

Anonymiss
04-11-12, 12:44 AM
CO2 tablets into the resevoir increases the amount of CO2 in the water and can be beneficial to the plants
I'm pretty sure that it's dissolved oxygen that's wanted, not carbon dioxide.

The roots use oxygen for respiration, whereas carbon dioxide is disassociated in the leaves — fixing the carbon into sugar via photosynthesis, and releasing oxygen as a by-product.

I'm under the impression that too much carbon dioxide in the root zone is a Bad Thing™ and can lead to problems if not corrected.

Samwize
04-11-12, 12:04 PM
It's definitely not a bad thing, it's just something we stock in my shop lots of people use them with no complaints they contain magnesium sulfate as well, I cannot see any research that supports too much CO2 being a bad thing, though true in a system like DWC you would have it bubbling constantly this increasing the oxygen for a nice healthy root zone I don't think it will be detrimental too the crop to do this, I do however see it as more of a gimmick and I don't really push them...I have however heard of people having good results foliar feeding with Canadian soda water which is loaded with CO2, never done it myself but I know a few people who swear by it

jjbel
27-11-12, 04:07 PM
Roots need oxygen to flourish, NOT CO2 fact.
Co2 suffocated roots

green grass
27-12-12, 02:39 AM
hello all,
still a newbie. only second grow. i have a question about co2. this might sound silly, but here it goes.

i cannot afford a all singing all dancing co2 kit atm. but i got my missus soda stream last christmas, she has never used the bloody thing! i got loads of spare co2 bottles for it. will it be ok if i just sprayed some of that in the tent. a little each day????

thanks for any replies!

see what you think to this mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ild3ZFylamM

jumpon
28-12-12, 05:08 PM
Basicly a soda stream will work then.

applepoop911
07-02-13, 11:00 PM

this might be a little old but never use carbon monoxide!!!! it will kill you and you wotn even know it.

Mr.UnclePen
09-02-13, 07:04 PM
as usual little miss anonymiss with all the details. is there anything you dont know.

will a little bit of my carbon dioxide do the trick?

Google....lol

Diddydon
17-02-13, 01:16 PM
i have of people having good results spraying c02 water onto leaves, i cant see why it wouldnt work.. seems like a decent soloution if u cant run a sealed co2 room

Macky
21-02-13, 01:18 AM

Wow! Co2 the same as O2? Whilst browsing the Internet learning to grow weed, learn some basic science too, it will do you well lol ;-)

ChuChu
21-02-13, 05:31 AM
Wow! Co2 the same as O2? Whilst browsing the Internet learning to grow weed, learn some basic science too, it will do you well lol ;-)

Think you misread somewhere mate..
Co2 = carbon dioxide..
o2 = oxygen..

Co2 for leaves and o2 for roots..

All the best..
Peace..:weed:

stonedkiwi
10-03-13, 12:36 AM
is co2 worth the trouble?