PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to keep it simple

jimcrudy
17-10-12, 03:38 AM
Hey all,

I am kinda new to growing and have a new room to start growing in. I want to keep things as simple as possible for my first time, so anyone have some ideas as how to feed my plants? I have grown a couple plants before, but that was just in a closet type area and using just CFL bulbs and using regular potting soil that says it feeds plants for up to 6 months, and then i would keep adding miracle gro here and there as long as the leaves didn't start burning. I have no clue as what to even look for when trying to pick out the right grow substance. I have no clue what PH levels should be or how to even test them. and I have no clue what to add to them. I am a smart person and catch on quickly and have a really green thumb. I want to do it right but i don't want to spend a ton of money on just soil at the same time. So please if anyone has some advise on were to get started with my soil and what to put in it once the plant starts growing. I will add a pic of my one plant I do have growing, that is in regular potting soil, is leaf fed distilled water everyday and I pour a generous amount of water with a small amount of miracle gro in it whenever the top of the soil is dry. Thanks for reading and please comment with advise.144910

Sheila
17-10-12, 03:49 AM
Jim,
Welcome to the THCTalk!

The best advice I ever got here was I was trying too hard and to keep it simple. I grow with potting soil (Super Soil) I buy at Home Depot, Miracle Gro Tomato food and that's it. I use CFL's and T5's and don't have any problems now. Had tons starting out but that was from over watering.

MJ is actually very forgiving in soil. I tested my tap water to start with and it came out at a 7.0. Have not bothered with it since. I used to use distilled water but suffered from it. It may work for some but to keep things simple I fill my water jugs from the tap now and let them set overnight open and then use the next day or later.

Not that my diaries are perfect but you can see some very simple examples of set ups if you'd like to check them out in my signature. All of my stuff is inexpensive and purchased from Home Depot with the exception of my carbon filter.

Really I started growing better when I quit worrying so much. I damn near loved my plants to death.

Best of luck with your grow!

Sheila

jimcrudy
17-10-12, 05:01 AM
Thanks Sheila, sound advice. I think I understand about the loving your plants to death part. I feel like there is so much that I am not doing when it comes to the soil and additives. I have only ever grown one plant like i said and now that I have the ability to grow in a whole room I almost feel overwhelmed with what I need to do. But I guess its whatever you make it. And I just wanna have fun and smoke some good herb : D

Sheila
17-10-12, 12:51 PM
Jim,
Just keep it simple to start. Don't worry about all the things you read about. A plant has basic needs and you should meet those. The other stuff can come later that's for sure as you fine tune your space and growing.
You'll be fine here. Just keep reading and asking questions if you don't find the answers. You can always PM me if you like and maybe I can help you out.

Thanks,
Sheila

jimcrudy
17-10-12, 01:37 PM
Thanks again Sheila, and I am sure I will be throwing a PM or two your way soon!

babybud3232
17-10-12, 01:50 PM
for me keeping it simple was having a good intake/outake+ good cf, doing soil growing doing regular pot ups ,not needing to feed until flower stage ,for me first time round I averaged 1.5/2 oz per plant So was chuffed ,I say get to know as much info as you can you'll never know enough ...happy growing:)

marcus
18-10-12, 05:46 PM
i agree with baby b,knoledge is priceless-the kit is secondary.Do your reasearch,get the basics and work on that to start and you will b fine!!

jimcrudy
26-10-12, 12:17 AM
Thanks all for advise!