PDA

View Full Version : reason for better harvest from HPS....?

fatman57
03-12-12, 12:41 PM
Hi all, I had a thought today and was wondering if people think it has any truth...many people report better yield from HPS than CFL (for example) - since HPS generates more heat, and heat is the red spectrum on-wards (till a point), does anyone see a relationship between a better flower yield and a hotter bulb?

Mr Pothead
03-12-12, 12:58 PM
Na mate, tbh the hps would be better if they ran cool, heat causes problems
The difference is the amount of lumens the bulb puts out, CFLs are low powered and don't produce as many lumens as the hps

CFLs are good for grows in a small space as they run cooler, hps are good for big spaces as they penetrate better and put down more light in general

A 250w hps will piss over a 250cfl

LittleMissBlue
03-12-12, 01:17 PM
I'll vouch for this, i have a 125w red cfl & a 300w dual cfl. Heat wise they are brilliant & easy to manage but they just don't yield as good as i've read from people using hps. For my next grow i'm without doubt buying an 250w hps - i have learned my lesson :) save yourself the money & start off with an hps!

_Whisperer
03-12-12, 01:43 PM
As said its not heat it's light, or... lumens per watt.... depending on the light a hps can be 2 to 3 times higher the amount of a cfl

fatman57
03-12-12, 10:14 PM
hi all - just asking, isn't there an argument for the plants using energy in any form, even if we cannot see it?

rapid7
03-12-12, 10:22 PM
the proof is in the pudding mate cfls dont produce the same intensity of light therefore dont produce as much bud

fatman57
03-12-12, 10:39 PM
the proof is in the pudding mate cfls dont produce the same intensity of light therefore dont produce as much bud

that wasn't the question - the idea was that hotter bulbs produce IR energy which helps yield...IR is the end of red in visible range and on-wards into invisible light...

babybud3232
04-12-12, 12:52 PM
I have grown with both cfl and hps , hps wins hands down for bud density , I think the better lumens you get gives you more dense buds ..imo

Icon
05-12-12, 12:16 PM
Hi all, I had a thought today and was wondering if people think it has any truth...many people report better yield from HPS than CFL (for example) - since HPS generates more heat, and heat is the red spectrum on-wards (till a point), does anyone see a relationship between a better flower yield and a hotter bulb?

Its difficult for us to understand exactly where your coming from.

The straight answer is no not really
I think your saying a hotter bulb works better then a cooler bulb because of the IR spectrum "and heat is the red spectrum" < Your words.
If that was the case we would be using IR bulbs that you can buy for use as heat lamps. So its not quite as simple as you are stating
Furthermore LEDs produce less heat but still produce better bud then CFLs if using a very expensive LED panel.

And just to throw a little swerve ball into the equation if you look into 1000W HPS versus 600W HPS you will find that the 1000W gives off far more heat yet doesnt produce that much more bud.

600W hps are the most effective Bang for Buck grow lights around at this time IMHO
There are other options to consider such as Plasma and Induction lights but these are very expensive and I have not tried them personally.

Hope that helps a little. But the best advice really is try and read up about them and use what fits your criteria

ATB
Icon

Stimpy
05-12-12, 12:22 PM
swapped from a 250W Red CFL to a 250W HPS on sat (4 days ago) on a plant that is almost finished, no shit, I can SEE the difference already, all the new clusters of pistils and calyxs are just bigger and grow faster, I reckon if I had the HPS at the start of flower the buds would be double the size by now.

Icon
05-12-12, 12:35 PM
And also double the density Stimpy which is difficult to see on the internet but thats the main difference the fact that you get big SOLID bud.

ATB
Icon

blue cheese
05-12-12, 12:45 PM
Na mate, tbh the hps would be better if they ran cool, heat causes problems
The difference is the amount of lumens the bulb puts out, CFLs are low powered and don't produce as many lumens as the hps

CFLs are good for grows in a small space as they run cooler, hps are good for big spaces as they penetrate better and put down more light in general

A 250w hps will piss over a 250cfl

i agree mate hps all the way :D

rapid7
05-12-12, 01:40 PM
that wasn't the question - the idea was that hotter bulbs produce IR energy which helps yield...IR is the end of red in visible range and on-wards into invisible light...

ok then the more ir rays dont produce more bud other wise we would use a ir bulb instead

dbuk
06-12-12, 03:51 AM
Had 250 cfl swapped it for 150 hps = tighter nodes harder faster buds and it's cooler in my groom and they don't break as often

fatman57
06-12-12, 10:48 AM
ok thanks ppl, just throwing one out there...

turbo123
28-12-12, 01:57 PM
Interesting reading,hope Im not too late to get advice.Had my 1st grow this year,didnt know me arse from me elbow but have been bitten by the growing bug.I used a 300 watt dual spectrum cfl in a 19"x32"x6',heat wasnt a problem.Next year Im thinking of switching to 250 watt hps.Should I use the cfl during the veggie stage then switch to the hps or should I use the hps all through both stages?

mellowed
28-12-12, 02:01 PM
CFL for veg mate. Will be easier to keep the plants small using a CFL rather than hps.

turbo123
06-01-13, 09:49 PM
Hi,have to agree,I used dual spectrum 300 watt cfl on my first grow last year,the plants did real well until the last 4-6 weeks,i felt they needed more punch at the end so I'm starting with the cfl for bout 3 weeks then switchn to 250 watt hps,4.2 sq ft of grow area.Good luck with yur grow.

Icon
06-01-13, 10:11 PM
Hi,have to agree,I used dual spectrum 300 watt cfl on my first grow last year,the plants did real well until the last 4-6 weeks,i felt they needed more punch at the end so I'm starting with the cfl for bout 3 weeks then switchn to 250 watt hps,4.2 sq ft of grow area.Good luck with yur grow.

This is the exact point its those final weeks that count it doesnt matter if you have vegged a 6 foot monster the CFLs and LEDs just do not get the big solid nuggets all over the plant compared to HPS.

The main reason is because the 600w HPS can still create nice buds on the plants when they are 2-3 feet away where as the cfl and LEDs only have a very small sweet spot
This is because light diminishes exponentially the further it travels. The LEDs are only perhaps 5 Ws Diodes it doesnt matter how many you put in there the light will still not travel very far and work its magic so its difficult to achieve the 600w HPS density and area

ATB
Icon