PDA

View Full Version : Solar Dehydrator (could be use to dry buds?)

The_Hunter
05-03-09, 05:32 PM
Made from two cardboard boxes, some clear plastic wrap, and a little tape. You can build a nearly free solar dehydrator. Set it on a stool or chair and face it's solar collector towards the sun, and you have a functional food preservation machine for little work and even less money.

http://www.jrwhipple.com/sr/images/soldryer.jpg
The above picture almost says it all. Using a long thin cardboard box for the collector and a taller, nearly square, cardboard box for the drying box. Boxes could be made to size by cutting and taping together small cardboard pieces. Line the bottom of the collector box with a black plastic garbage bag or paint the bottom with black, water based, poster paint, (lamp black or soot mixed with a little vegetable oil would work as well). If you use spray paint or other toxic paints, let the collector bake in the sun for a day or two before use. Cover the top of the collector with clear plastic wrap or window glass, etc. Tape it together as shown.

To increase the efficiency, you may want to cover the sides and bottom of both boxes with fiberglass or styrofoam insulation.

Drawing courtesy of: Mother's Energy Efficiency Book Copyright 1983 ISBN 0-938-43205-2

lala124
06-03-09, 10:13 PM
Sure itd work mate, but whats wrong with hang drying? If it dries too fast it aint gonna smoke as well.

In other words... fuck mate youre a mod? God I ahvent been here in a while. Alls well them?

The_Hunter
08-03-09, 09:31 PM
just and idea for quick drying.
or maybe an outdoor grower
or just a stoner thought!

black.lung
26-04-09, 05:38 PM
would be good if you like brittle buds that smell like lawn grass and taste of garden smoke. very bad idea.

Eggbox
26-04-09, 05:46 PM
would be good if you like brittle buds that smell like lawn grass and taste of garden smoke. very bad idea.

And that's speaking from experience is it?

black.lung
26-04-09, 05:52 PM
a old friend of mine grew some 20 odd plants and he gave it to his dad to dry he left it in a warm room and he dryed it in 3 days and ruined the lot of it over a kilo of ruined shit weed that he couldnt even give away.

Eggbox
26-04-09, 06:03 PM
a old friend of mine grew some 20 odd plants and he gave it to his dad to dry he left it in a warm room and he dryed it in 3 days and ruined the lot of it over a kilo of ruined shit weed that he couldnt even give away.

So basically, no, you don't have experience of leaving buds outside to airdry in carboard boxes.. I doubt anyone'd be doss enough to leave their bud drying beside some gypsie's bonfire anyway..

Howd'ya know it wasn't the smell/air/mildew of the room they were in that ruined them?

And next time you need to throw away a kilo you should totally come to Scotland to do it!

Hoopla
26-04-09, 06:08 PM
Looking at the device in question, I doubt the heat inside the drying chamber (which, if you look, is at the back) would be high enough to fully ruin weed in the same way as oven drying.

Having said that, general opinion is that the longer you take over the drying process the better so I wouldn't advise this unless you have a large quantity that you need to smoke soon

black.lung
26-04-09, 11:42 PM
well ectox i have got experience with air drying in boxs but not usein heat to speed up dryin just room temp air and the room had no damp or mildew just very high temps and did i say anything about a fuckin jipsy bonfire i understand you want to defend your boyfriends honour plus i wouldnt go to that shit hole if my life depended on it.

hi hoopla the sun heating up the box thanks to the black back ground is exactly how greenhouse heaters are made solar power central heating works on the same principle and they have enough power to heat a hole house.solar showers as well for camping.
the radient heat in a mostly enclosed box made that way would heat up to over 30% easy in strong sunlight.
which would easily cook the weed and make it useless all the resin head would dry and crack making it weak and it would taste like bonfire smoke.

Eggbox
27-04-09, 11:20 AM
well ectox i have got experience with air drying in boxs but not usein heat to speed up dryin just room temp air and the room had no damp or mildew just very high temps and did i say anything about a fuckin jipsy bonfire i understand you want to defend your boyfriends honour plus i wouldnt go to that shit hole if my life depended on it.

hi hoopla the sun heating up the box thanks to the black back ground is exactly how greenhouse heaters are made solar power central heating works on the same principle and they have enough power to heat a hole house.solar showers as well for camping.
the radient heat in a mostly enclosed box made that way would heat up to over 30% easy in strong sunlight.
which would easily cook the weed and make it useless all the resin head would dry and crack making it weak and it would taste like bonfire smoke.

I'll ignore the nasty jibes and just state my point, but I think you need a bong pal :) :bong:

Anywho. When I was talking about a bonfire, I was merely referencing your point about buds smelling like garden fire smoke.. So.. How would that make them smell like that then?

And also, solar greenhouse heaters are generally a bit bigger, and built out of far more efficient materials than that, therefore making them more effective :) And mate, greenhouses are hot as shit anyway, you can't make a direct comparison to a sealed box with a constant flow of air to a glass chamber in the blazin' sun, surely? :D

black.lung
28-04-09, 04:51 AM
Solar heaters for greenhouses are made to keep high temps at night so temps dont drop to low because most plants are killed by frost.has that answered question ?.oh the other question the answer is WHEN YOU BURN IT IN ORDER TO SMOKE IT!
and i only got funny because the the way you worded your comment.
trying to make me sound like some fucking mug talking about things i dont know about or experienced myself.And i cant stand ***** takeing the piss and whats with changing the colour of the word solar?if its because i made a typo them didnt you notice the way i spelled whole(hole)?anything else you want to be a ***** about?

captainzep
28-04-09, 07:15 AM
Solar driers work fine i use a home made one in the summer . It still takes weeks to dry but does not ruin the bud. My design metal sweeties tin painted black holes drilled in lid lined with paper. Fill with weed leave in the sun.

Monty Bong
28-04-09, 08:10 AM
Solar driers work fine i use a home made one in the summer . It still takes weeks to dry but does not ruin the bud. My design metal sweeties tin painted black holes drilled in lid lined with paper. Fill with weed leave in the sun.

If it still takes weeks to dry, what is the advantage over traditional hanging in a dark room?

black.lung
28-04-09, 08:13 AM
hi captainzep is there any loss of odour or potency?
and how come it takes weeks to dry mine dry at 7 days and thats in tent it was grown in with lights off temps are at 20c on average.surely they would be a lot higher in a black tin under direct sunlight?

black.lung
28-04-09, 08:32 AM
got to tell you im still very sceptical.
definately will try it out for myself with a small amount of my next crop and see what the results are.i suppose its the only way to know for sure is to try it for myself.
so i will reserve my comments for then.
just sounds wrong to me when just about every grower ive talked to and watched and read books from tells me quick drying ruins weed when it comes to potency/smell/and the way it burns and tastes. plus what ive seen tasted in my own experience. but anyway ill give it a go and see for myself ok.

Eggbox
28-04-09, 10:58 AM
Solar heaters for greenhouses are made to keep high temps at night so temps dont drop to low because most plants are killed by frost.has that answered question ?.oh the other question the answer is WHEN YOU BURN IT IN ORDER TO SMOKE IT!
and i only got funny because the the way you worded your comment.
trying to make me sound like some fucking mug talking about things i dont know about or experienced myself.And i cant stand ***** takeing the piss and whats with changing the colour of the word solar?if its because i made a typo them didnt you notice the way i spelled whole(hole)?anything else you want to be a twat about?

There's plenty more I want to be a ***** about to be honest, but because I'm sure nobody else wants to hear it, I'll just leave it at that :)

The reason I worded my comment so satirically, was because of the way you just came in to a thread and slammed someone elses idea without a decent explanation of why.. That's all. This is a place for people to share knowledge, and if peolpe just jump in to threads and are all like "Nah, shit idea." without decent reasons why, then nobody's gonna listen to 'em. Or people'll start to flame them.. And that's how flamewars start. I believe it's loosely defined as 'trolling' if you're doing such things on an internet forum..

But it seems you've actually realised that it's polite to withhold your comments on things that you're not willing to share your 'years of experience' with us on, as now you want to try Hunter's method?

Anyway. I'm to high for hostility, I think the solar heater is a great idea, and it seems people who have actually had experience with it, have found it worked for them.. That's all I wanted to say.

Also, I know the point in a solar greenhouse heater is.. I don't recall asking :D cheers tho

:bong:

lkdj2003
28-04-09, 11:09 AM
black.lung please watch your step on here as we WILL NOT have members insulting others when they are trying to help!

black.lung
28-04-09, 11:21 PM
i didnt insult someone that was trying to help i was insulting someone for making snippy comments .all i originaly said basicaly was that quick dryed weed smells and tastes like ordinary dryed plant matter and i think its a bad idea to basicaly put your weed in a solar oven and cooking it. so that it smells like grass and tastes like bonfire smoke.and ectox desided to be funny with me about it .but i dont see you pulling him up on his comments .i agree i shouldnt have risen to his bait but i did for this im sorry and i will just stick to the FACTS in future ok.

The_Hunter
29-04-09, 05:20 PM
just and idea for quick drying.
or maybe an outdoor grower
or just a stoner thought!

If i see anymore childishness ill close the thread
:bigjoint:

Rizzah
29-04-09, 05:41 PM
If i see anymore childishness ill close the thread

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/01/04/mr_t.jpg

captainzep
01-05-09, 07:24 AM
If it still takes weeks to dry, what is the advantage over traditional hanging in a dark room?
. I have found that unless the heating is on in my house my buds dont seem to dry very well at all I think its cause I live in an old damp granite house. So last year I made 3 biscuit tins dryers, It takes weeks to dry if you totally fill them and a lot less if you just use a small amount. I have found it to excellent methord and as I m leaving them in the sun out in the garage It doesnt stink the house out.