PDA

View Full Version : Need advice before ordering.

fivethumbsfrank
11-01-13, 03:18 PM
I'm not ordering a kit but wasn't sure where else to post this.

I've been researching for a while and have decided to not buy a 'kit' rather buy seperates and upgrade when needed from there.

I will be growing inside a garage detached from my house. I need to keep noise to a minimum.

parts I'm thinking of are these.

secret Jardin dr90 rev 2

lighting- adjusta watt digital adjustable600w [reason for this is the flexibility it offers even over the Lumitek equivalent]

ventilation- this is where I'm torn but really want to make the right choice. looking at rvk or s n p for fans 5" or 6"? I really want to keep noise levels to minimum but don't want to sacrifice efficiency to pull enough air from the filter

filter- rhino pro 5" or 6"?

other parts like thermometer, hygrometer,ducting, ph pen etc I have covered. the main stuff I need to make choices on are above.

I currently have 4 seedlings from seed under a 100w cfl bulb in a makeshift box that I figure will be ok over the next 2 weeks so I need to make the right choices on the above before I order. 2x auto great white 1x white widow and 1x critical AK47 all feminised seeds.

oh also, would it be ok to extract into the back of the garage? the garage has no windows but I figured the air would escape under the garage door which opens and closes electronically so not easy to burgle.

I will put up a diary when things start moving. If you have any good alternatives for any of the above please post.

thanks in advance.

LittleMissBlue
11-01-13, 03:24 PM
Only part i can really comment on here is ur fan & filter.

It all depends on how much of the garage space ur using to grow in & what wattage of bulb u plan to buy when choosing between 5" or 6".

I have a 400w dual hps & was advised don't go anything minimum than 5" so i bought a 5" ruck & 5" rhino pro filter.

I don't know about noise levels as yet as i've still to set all my new grow stuff up but if ur planning to use a big space or have more than one bulb i'd look into the 6". For the interest of smell & removing heat effectively i'd go 5" if ur gonna use a 250w or 400w.

Hopefully this helps a lil bit!

mellowed
11-01-13, 03:25 PM
Don't buy a tent mate when you can build something.

If your gonna grow in a garage then your best option would be to section it off so you can insulate all over. You will put a tent in there then when its cold you will realise that you need to insulate it anyway. Build you space rather than buy at tent will probably work out cheaper.

Lights.

I use a 400hps in my shed which measure 3x5x8 and I have to use a 4inch rvk during winter then switch to my 6inch rvk during summer because the big fan brings in to much cold air during winter and the small fan is not enough during summer.

Noise.

Insulate the grow area and accustic ducting will be fine.

My groom is next to my front door and nobody can hear a thing, even in the dead of night you can't hear anything.

fivethumbsfrank
11-01-13, 03:42 PM
It will be very small scale hence the reasoning for buying a tent, during winter I figured I could put a small oil filled heater in there if need be and during summer I have a decent portable aircon unit to use as a chiller in there if it gets too warm.

extractor fan is my biggest bug bearer at the minute and realise I dont need to worry too much until flowering stage as far as the filter goes, which probably wont be until end of feb to beginning of March. will a 5" be enough for that space? and as far as noise level goes RVK or S N P silent? I could go RVK and build a box for it with a controller.

thanks for the advice guys.

Mellowed what did you use to insulate your groom? loft insulation type stuff?

mellowed
11-01-13, 03:46 PM
I used kingspan mate. But the loft insulation kind. I never thought of using the kingspan boards you can buy that are foil lined but both work well.

B.A.BARACUS
11-01-13, 03:48 PM
Always get a bigger fan than you need.. Turn it down = less noise & still good performance..

Friday
11-01-13, 04:03 PM
Hi mate.
I converted my garage so I could grow in it. I sectioned it off into 2 rooms so I could have a totally locked up groom with 2 tents in there. The groom is fully insulated with kingspan on all walls and roof. I run a Dr90 mk2 as my flower tent with 400w, I had a 5inch Rvk exhaust but in summer I struggled with temps so I changed it to a 6inch and it solved my problem. I run a 5inch intake too and both fans are controlled by a SMS controller.
I exhaust both my tents into a Y piece then in to a silencer and out the groom part of the garage into the room on the other side. No matter wot u do ur going to get some noise unless u try the acoustic ducting but then ul still get some noise from ur exhaust point.

Friday :D
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?85437-Friday-Scrog-s-AK47-Serious-Seeds-Grown-in-Coco-Autopot-Styliee-#128523

fivethumbsfrank
11-01-13, 04:16 PM
Hi mate.
I converted my garage so I could grow in it. I sectioned it off into 2 rooms so I could have a totally locked up groom with 2 tents in there. The groom is fully insulated with kingspan on all walls and roof. I run a Dr90 mk2 as my flower tent with 400w, I had a 5inch Rvk exhaust but in summer I struggled with temps so I changed it to a 6inch and it solved my problem. I run a 5inch intake too and both fans are controlled by a SMS controller.
I exhaust both my tents into a Y piece then in to a silencer and out the groom part of the garage into the room on the other side. No matter wot u do ur going to get some noise unless u try the acoustic ducting but then ul still get some noise from ur exhaust point.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?85437-Friday-Scrog-s-AK47-Serious-Seeds-Grown-in-Coco-Autopot-Styliee-#128523

Thanks mate. can you still hear it if you stand outside your garage with the garage door closed?

Friday
11-01-13, 05:34 PM
Iv done my garage a little different from u mate - from out side my garage still has the garage door but Iv sealed the door shut from inside and I have my groom room behind the garage door. No u can hear ewt as Iv fully insulated the cavities of all my stud behind my king span with loft insulation - the only slight noise u can hear is when the intake fan kicks up to high power and u heard a slight (I mean slight) noise from that but since having it on a SMS controller I hear nothing from the front door - don't forget I only slightly heard it cause I knew it was there. As far as my exhaust I can hear that cause it blows straight into my chillout room next to my groom. Iv also got a wall extractor fan taking from the chill out room to outside to clear any smoke from the room and to hide the noise of the exhausts fans from the groom - it works a treat and Iv had many of mate that don't know I grow in the chillout room with out any of them hearing my fans.

Here's a pic of how I did mine
It's an old pic off an old diary - it's changed abit now due to there being no auto cupboard and there is now 2 tents and 2 res's for my auto pots.

fivethumbsfrank
11-01-13, 05:40 PM
That's really cool, nice set up you have there. I'd like to do something similar but as it's my first grow I'm gonna go with a tent see how I like it then if all goes well I think I will do something similar to what you have. I will get some acoustic ducting and probably box up the fan to try and kill some noise for the time being. I can use the tent later as a flower room if I mod the garage. thanks for taking the time to post that up, some great ideas/ food for thought there.

Friday
11-01-13, 07:14 PM
No probs at all mate. I still use tents in my groom but I insulated it to keep the eye in the sky from seeing me and to try and combat the low temps which the garage use to have.
Before u do ewt mate just plan it all out first as its a lot easier to build if u have a plan on how u want every thing to go such as intake/exhaust points, power points, water inlet, etc.
if u need any help mate when trying to plan it out just giz a shout and ill try and help best I can - it's all in the planning mate :)

fivethumbsfrank
11-01-13, 07:47 PM
No probs at all mate. I still use tents in my groom but I insulated it to keep the eye in the sky from seeing me and to try and combat the low temps which the garage use to have.
Before u do ewt mate just plan it all out first as its a lot easier to build if u have a plan on how u want every thing to go such as intake/exhaust points, power points, water inlet, etc.
if u need any help mate when trying to plan it out just giz a shout and ill try and help best I can - it's all in the planning mate :)

Thanks man I appreciate that...btw I just checked your threads and got a peep of your grow room, all I can say is that's quite inspiring!

Mr_Bimble
12-01-13, 01:48 PM
If your planning on using 600W then I'd go for the 6" inline. I've got a 5" RVK and it just about copes with 400w during the summer.

Acoustic ducting and a silencer should kill the majority of the noise & sticking the fan inside a big box full of soft material will deaden the noise of the fan.

If the roof of the garage is uninsulated then at this time of year you could find no frost on the roof which is a big giveaway but during the summer you may not get rid of enough heat if its enclosed. Only testing will show if you need to vent externally.

stephen07
12-01-13, 02:19 PM
I have my dr90 in my garage . I use a 4" RVk and a 400w hps ,the temps are spot on this time of year . I don't intend on growing after this 1 till next September then ill be vegging under cfl till October :) I have 100 mm of king span on the roof of my tent and the pots sat on 50mm of king span . Ill post a pic later for you :)

stephen07
12-01-13, 06:49 PM
The tent holds the heat in fairly well :) 165104

fivethumbsfrank
12-01-13, 07:15 PM
The tent holds the heat in fairly well :) 165104

that's really helpful mate thanks. can this tent handle four plants? that's how many seedlings I have on the go at the moment. I guess 2 or three would be ideal, but I'd hate to throw any away. I dropped 4 seeds in rockwool thinking one or two might not sprout but they all did. I have them in a 65x55x48cm box lined with Mylar at the moment. 100w cfl and just pc fans extracting. the seedlings are all showing serated leaves [first set] and looking healthy with temps at a constant range between 18.5 and 20c. How long before I need to move them out into a bigger space? I.E a tent? the seeds I used are auto great white x2 1x white widow and 1x critical #47

stephen07
12-01-13, 07:31 PM
You could get 4 in a dr90 I only have 3 but mine are photoperiod plants . I would recommend a parabolic shade if you can get hold off 1 , I'm getting 1 for my next grow .:)
Don't really know anything about autos but I plan on trying them at some point . Next time I'm going from seed so may order a few autos as well :)

fivethumbsfrank
12-01-13, 07:35 PM
Thanks Stephen, that's a great help mate many thanks. what does photoperiod plant mean...it's ok I'll google it.:) got it...

stephen07
12-01-13, 07:40 PM
12/12 mate , not auto flower . U won't need a heater with them been autos as you can just have the light off for 4 hours in the afternoon . So much easier but u have less control over the plants :)

fivethumbsfrank
12-01-13, 07:50 PM
12/12 mate , not auto flower . U won't need a heater with them been autos as you can just have the light off for 4 hours in the afternoon . So much easier but u have less control over the plants :)

oh well that's me being a tard because the white widow is Seedsman Seeds White Widow just checked it's not auto and the Positronics Seeds Critical #47 is not auto either. so I have two autos [auto great white] is this going to make them difficult to manage in the one tent? I guess it is.

fivethumbsfrank
12-01-13, 07:56 PM
I will probably start a diary tomorrow I think I need help with this.

stephen07
12-01-13, 07:57 PM
No but they won't get so big without lots of light . You could keep your light on for 18-20 hours till the auto are done . About 8 weeks then flip you light to 12/12 for your fem seeds . But they are gonna be big if you veg them under hps for that long . On the plus side you will only have 2 in the tent and you could tie them down and stuff to help , take a look at some of Gavin's dairies he is amazing at training plants . So it's all good . I'd say a 400 hps is plenty for a dr90 as well .

stephen07
12-01-13, 08:00 PM
I will probably start a diary tomorrow I think I need help with this.

Start a diary mate , you can get lots of help that way . Some great growers on here will read and help . I'm on my first grow mate , it's not that hard most the time :) I'm subbed as well :)

fivethumbsfrank
12-01-13, 08:03 PM
No but they won't get so big without lots of light . You could keep your light on for 18-20 hours till the auto are done . About 8 weeks then flip you light to 12/12 for your fem seeds . But they are gonna be big if you veg them under hps for that long . On the plus side you will only have 2 in the tent and you could tie them down and stuff to help , take a look at some of Gavin's dairies he is amazing at training plants . So it's all good . I'd say a 400 hps is plenty for a dr90 as well .

cool mate Im gonna get a 600w adjustable ballast that way I have some flexibilty adjustawatt looks like a good option because of the wider range, would you stick with a 600w bulb and dim down to 400w or buy a 400w bulb? sorry for all the q's but I want to make the right choices from the get go.

I will take some pics of the seedlings in the morning and start a diary.

stephen07
12-01-13, 08:33 PM
If you haven't ordered it yet I'd personally get a Maxibright digi ballast 400w and a Maxibright parabolic shade 400 sun master duel hps . It's up to you but I think a 600 will be to much for a 90x90 tent . They are for 1.2m x 1.2 m tents really. If you do go 600 your gonna need a good extraction probably 6" + and a intake 4" + . I only run a 4" extractor and a passive intake . I know this will not be good enough for the summer but I'm not gonna be going till September once this grow is over :)

Mr_Bimble
13-01-13, 12:39 AM
Four plants will fit fine in a DR90 - I'd use either an 80cm parabolic, Great-8 or Diamond shade.

If you want the easy life then 400W HPS, 5" RVK L1 & 5" Rhino filter will work fine. I'd get a 400W MH bulb for vegging & a 400W dual spec HPS for flowering.

stephen07
13-01-13, 12:41 AM
Yes 400 is great inside a dr90 :)

Mr_Bimble
13-01-13, 01:18 PM
If you have a dimable ballast that can drop to 250W then you could get a 250W MH for vegging and save a few quid on electricity.

I've tried a 400W in a 1M square tent and it wasn't quite enough to get even illumination in the corners but in my 80cm square tent it was plenty (but I had temp issues due to only having a 4" outlet).

To get an idea of what's achievable search for "mr bimble" in the completed diary section - my 3 strain high thc grow is the 1M + 400w HPS grow and I got 1gpw and could have got a bit more....

fivethumbsfrank
13-01-13, 01:21 PM
If you have a dimable ballast that can drop to 250W then you could get a 250W MH for vegging and save a few quid on electricity.

I've tried a 400W in a 1M square tent and it wasn't quite enough to get even illumination in the corners but in my 80cm square tent it was plenty (but I had temp issues due to only having a 4" outlet).

To get an idea of what's achievable search for "mr bimble" in the completed diary section - my 3 strain high thc grow is the 1M + 400w HPS grow and I got 1gpw and could have got a bit more....

Thanks man. I started a diary so you can see where I'm at now if you are interested. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?88816-First-grow-some-help-please-if-possible