PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried grafting?

Duke1
21-01-13, 12:04 AM
:bong::leaf:hi i got to wondering if something i read once ,was true ? i think it was in high times but a guy claimed you can graft cannabis onto the rootstock of the hop (humulus ) making according to him a perpetual flowering plant.being a gardener and keen bonsai grower and dealer,i have had some experience of graft techniques on trees and shrubs etc.once used some crappy but fast skunk rootstock and grafted my fav afghan to see what would happen,it took, but to my surprise grew no different to the afghan1 in size and yeild so allthough interesting to try ;proved pointless.also wondered what would happen to an auto if you were to graft to a photoperiod plant? i have one of them minds ,i think they politely call an" inquiring mind" my missus thinks im obsesive but i have idea have to try idea I MEAN i have to.just invented new cooling system for my wardrobe grow box that came to me in one of these "moments" its real simple and no doubt allready been done by someone but i was most pleased as it works pretty well and uses very little power.simply i built a heat exchanger a long length of metal duct hose from an a.c.unit made two suitable size holes in the top of the wardrobe were the hot air congragates fix the duct hose ends to the two holes.as my wardrobe is in an unheated room the difference between the air going in one end and the temp at the other coming back in drops by 5 degs,also by making small hole in the bottom of the duct pipe any excess humidity passing through cools on the inside of the pipe in drips into catch bucket. this took the humidity down from 60% to less than 42 in a few hours. anyway hope one of your experts can answer my weird questions cheers and happy growing to all.:toke:

eroswb
21-01-13, 12:55 AM
I don't have a fucking clue about bonsai trees or that kind of growing, but I like your inquisitive mind :) Good luck.

Catpoison
21-01-13, 01:04 AM
I got told once that you can graft a plant onto a nettle root system as apparently they're related in some way... I marked it down as bollocks though tbh!

NexSacramentum
21-01-13, 02:15 AM
That's not a bad thought process at all, sir. As eroswb said, I've not a fucking clue, but if you get anything going in terms of graft in your room in the future, diary that shit up, I'd watch that.

Talpa
21-01-13, 02:17 AM
Yes, can't remember who did it.

Its a black domina on a cheese plant I think but not on a hop. but always worth a read

Find it here https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?61269-UK-Cheese-grafted-to-a-Black-Domina&highlight=black+domina+graft

NexSacramentum
21-01-13, 02:43 AM
What are the benefits of grafting, may I ask?
I didn't read the entire diary that you posted, Talpa, so I'm not sure if the answer is within that diary, but would someone mind enlightening me?

Talpa
21-01-13, 09:23 AM
Benefits.

A multi strain mother plant that you can take a multitude of cuttings off and not have the same smoke all the time.
Space saving.
Because you can?.

I don't know you asked the question if it has been done.

Vador
21-01-13, 09:52 AM
Benefits.

A multi strain mother plant that you can take a multitude of cuttings off and not have the same smoke all the time.
Space saving.
Because you can?.

That mother plant would be the holy grail.
I need one of them in my life, if only I had the room

Mr Pothead
21-01-13, 10:07 AM
Percy grower grafts :)

Rather good at it aswell

fivethumbsfrank
21-01-13, 10:12 AM
I Really like this idea, food for thought..... a frankenplant.

gavin
21-01-13, 10:14 AM
can't see it not working, if you snap a brach off you can put it back on, tape it within a couple of days it heals and start growing again, mother plants in a 3ltr pot airpot will keep the root mass good for a long time
and a single t5 will keep the growth slow, lst and chop back most the green every 2 weeks. should last a long time

NexSacramentum
21-01-13, 01:19 PM
Benefits.

Space saving.
Because you can?.

Thanks man.
I'm going to do this when I'm not such a noob. It will be the size of my house.

Duke1
24-01-13, 01:02 PM
im of to the garden centre to try get a hop plant today,got to have a go.will try and post any results,but this is very new to me (the computer that is)so not quite sure how.but im sure gona give it a go.

denots
24-01-13, 02:30 PM
Has anyone tried grafting?

I mentioned this to a friend of mine. And he said, "I tried it once and didn't like it, Ide rather stay at home and grow weed" :banghead:

carpetburn
24-01-13, 04:46 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:bigjoint:;)

marvel
17-08-13, 04:10 AM
im of to the garden centre to try get a hop plant today,got to have a go.will try and post any results,but this is very new to me (the computer that is)so not quite sure how.but im sure gona give it a go.

how did the hop graft go? was wondering something along the same line. Multi strain mothers I hadn't thought of but will definitely be giving a go! Was thinking about taking root stock from a fruiting bush, can this be done? Haven't seen anything written

Duke1
17-08-13, 10:49 AM
yes it does graft but was pointless as cannabis roots turned out to be more vigorous than the hop rootstock so whilst the graft was succesful the plant was weak and failed to produce.fruit bushes wont graft to cannabis.also discovered that even if you got another plant species to graft to canna rootstock it would not make the scion,or top part of graft psycoactive in any way,so whilst interesting its pretty pointless!and dont believe the stinging nettle or cannatomato,both is bollocks!!!!!
how did the hop graft go? was wondering something along the same line. Multi strain mothers I hadn't thought of but will definitely be giving a go! Was thinking about taking root stock from a fruiting bush, can this be done? Haven't seen anything written

RastaMouse22
17-08-13, 12:52 PM
Percy grower grafts :)

Rather good at it aswell

was bout to suggest him :p

hes got a thread if you click in the subforum bit 'experimental section' its there but with moved next to it cant miss it :bong:
ive tried but no luck for me so far will try again at somepoint.
hope that helps
peacs

Germanator
17-08-13, 01:01 PM
"One of the most persistent myths in marijuana lore concerns grafting Cannabis to its closest relative. Humulus, the hops plant of beer-making fame. The myth is that a hops scion (shoot or top portion of the stem) grafted to a marijuana stock (lower stem and root) will contain the active ingredients of marijuana. The beauty of such a graft is that it would be difficult to identify as marijuana and, possible, the plant would not be covered under marijuana statutes. Unfortunately, the myth is false. It is possible to successfully graft Cannabis with Humulus, but the hops portion will not contain any cannabinoids.

In 1975, the research team of Crombie and Crombie grafted hops scions on Cannabis stocks from both hemp and marijuana (Thailand) plants 205. Cannabis scions were also grafted to hops stocks. In both cases, the Cannabis portion of the graft continued to produce its characteristic amounts of cannabinoids when compared to ungrafted controls, but the hops portions of the grafts contained no cannabinoids. This experiment was well-designed and carried out. Sophisticated methods were used for detecting THC, THCV, CBD, CBC, CBN, and CBG. Yet none of these were detected in the hops portions.

The grafting myth grew out of work by H.E. Warmke, which was carried out for the government during the early 1940's in an attempt to develop hemp strains that would not contain the "undesirable" drug 58. The testing procedure for the active ingredients was crude. Small animals, such as the water flea Daphnia, were immersed in water with various concentration of acetone extracts from hemp. The strength of the drug was estimated by the number of animals killed in a given period of time. As stated by Warmke, "The Daphnia assay is not specific for the marijuana drug ... once measures any and all toxic substances in hemp (or hop) leaves that are extracted with acetone, whether or not these have specific marijuana activity." Clearly it was other compounds, not cannabinoids, that were detected in these grafting experiments.

Unfortunately, this myth has caused some growers to waste a lot of time and effort in raising a worthless stash of hops leaves. I

Duke1
17-08-13, 01:10 PM
thanks i was looking for that snippit of info to post myself,well done as im new to computers and have trouble linking etc cheers.
"One of the most persistent myths in marijuana lore concerns grafting Cannabis to its closest relative. Humulus, the hops plant of beer-making fame. The myth is that a hops scion (shoot or top portion of the stem) grafted to a marijuana stock (lower stem and root) will contain the active ingredients of marijuana. The beauty of such a graft is that it would be difficult to identify as marijuana and, possible, the plant would not be covered under marijuana statutes. Unfortunately, the myth is false. It is possible to successfully graft Cannabis with Humulus, but the hops portion will not contain any cannabinoids.

In 1975, the research team of Crombie and Crombie grafted hops scions on Cannabis stocks from both hemp and marijuana (Thailand) plants 205. Cannabis scions were also grafted to hops stocks. In both cases, the Cannabis portion of the graft continued to produce its characteristic amounts of cannabinoids when compared to ungrafted controls, but the hops portions of the grafts contained no cannabinoids. This experiment was well-designed and carried out. Sophisticated methods were used for detecting THC, THCV, CBD, CBC, CBN, and CBG. Yet none of these were detected in the hops portions.

The grafting myth grew out of work by H.E. Warmke, which was carried out for the government during the early 1940's in an attempt to develop hemp strains that would not contain the "undesirable" drug 58. The testing procedure for the active ingredients was crude. Small animals, such as the water flea Daphnia, were immersed in water with various concentration of acetone extracts from hemp. The strength of the drug was estimated by the number of animals killed in a given period of time. As stated by Warmke, "The Daphnia assay is not specific for the marijuana drug ... once measures any and all toxic substances in hemp (or hop) leaves that are extracted with acetone, whether or not these have specific marijuana activity." Clearly it was other compounds, not cannabinoids, that were detected in these grafting experiments.

Unfortunately, this myth has caused some growers to waste a lot of time and effort in raising a worthless stash of hops leaves. I

SkunkBudda403
27-03-15, 09:21 PM
I realize this is an old thread, just wanted to give it a bump and see if anyone practices grafting at all on this site?

Would be a great way for an organized person to be able to keep minimal plants and have a maximum choice of strains to grow out. For someone who uses clones exclusively the idea of having 1 plant that could possibly grow 4+ strains would be a great space saver and help you keep multiple strains in vegetative growth and get around maximum plant laws where they apply. So In theroy a grower could have 2plants growing with his choice to clone 8+ different strains of cannabis to keep a perpetual flowering room stocked with different kinds of buds all a clone away.

Be interesting to see your Hodge podge Lady's if anyone practices this technique.

Found this video on you-tube of interest pertaining to grafting of Marijiana:

How To: Graft Marijuana - Multiple Strains on a Single Cannabis Plant: https://youtu.be/NEf-5MoB2rA

I've got lots of experience grafting from my buddy's orchard in the BC Okanogan where fruit trees and grapes are grafted all the time. On my buddy's orchard he has trees by the house that have apples and pears, cherry and plumbs etc. Lots of fruit trees ate grafted to dwarf root stock and sold to garden centers to keep then small so the home Cultivator can grow them in smaller spaces.

Something I'd fancy trying once my mother room is up and running. And grafting is fairly simple. Never tried the technique used in the video with the use of duct tape amd what he suggest using. We normaly use wax to help give a good sterile seal and hold both plant parts together for tge grafting process. But the rest of his technique are what we would be doing at the orchard to graft fruit trees.

FACE
27-03-15, 09:33 PM
There's a old diary of a user who had done it an was flowering it out both strains were attached an grew good as well
Would be good to fit all U strains on one mother lol a 6 strain morher plant

SkunkBudda403
27-03-15, 09:37 PM
There's a old diary of a user who had done it an was flowering it out both strains were attached an grew good as well
Any idea who's diary that was by chance? Or a title for the diary?

Boy would I love to give that once over!

FACE
27-03-15, 09:52 PM
A will have a nosey see if I can find it
Am sure it was a black rose ?

M_C
27-03-15, 09:59 PM

I'm liking the idea of that ;)

FACE
27-03-15, 10:01 PM
It was a guy called percy grower who had a it on here but it may have been deleted in the split ?
It was epic an worked a gotta say although one was bigger it still took an grew

SkunkBudda403
27-03-15, 10:06 PM
I'm liking the idea of that ;)
Who wouldn't like that idea. Especially a grower who works with clones on a regular basis. Has the possibility to give thw grower multiple options in a small package.

Once i have a Strictly Vegging room I'll be toying around with this idea.

Oxy
27-03-15, 10:10 PM
sounds good lads i been scouting about but finding shit all, have we a members list????

SkunkBudda403
27-03-15, 10:15 PM
sounds good lads i been scouting about but finding shit all, have we a members list????
Hes mentioned in this post, page one and two. Done a couple searches but nothing has come up in my searches. Hes mentioned in a few threads. But as of yet unable to track down is profile. Lol computer illiterit lmfao.

Would be a treat to find that journal.

Oxy
27-03-15, 10:17 PM
would be good if we have a members list to get hold of his threads and what nots.. but i canny see one..

SkunkBudda403
27-03-15, 10:20 PM
would be good if we have a members list to get hold of his threads and what nots.. but i canny see one..
Need a super mod.... M_C.... services needed! Direct us to the ligjt

FACE
27-03-15, 11:15 PM
I had a link to it from another thread but the link is invalid so it's possibly gone

SkunkBudda403
28-03-15, 12:00 AM
I had a link to it from another thread but the link is invalid so it's possibly gone
Thanks for trying Face. Guess ill have to post something up once i have my Vegging room going and give'er a try.

Hobbit
19-06-16, 03:09 AM
When i first read this i thougt why would you bother, good idea though Face having a multi strain mother.

Harry Munk
17-01-17, 08:53 PM
A will have a nosey see if I can find it
Am sure it was a black rose ?
It was Uk Cheese grafted to a Black Domina https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?68641-April-Plant-of-the-Month&p=1069095648#post1069095648