PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Tree

BudMan
22-01-13, 12:15 PM
My Dragon Tree is needing a re-pot. Now am I right in thinking this is an ericaceous plant?? So will it need a lime free compost for more acidity?

I repotted it into multi purpose a while back and its looking so unhealthy, much more unhealthy that before repotting so must be the soil.

Newest growth looking light yellow, all leaf tips curling back and browning from the tips and just looking really sorry for it's self...

Help!

Cheers, BM :weed:

DrGreen
22-01-13, 03:13 PM
got any pics? how big is it and howlong does it take to grow huge lol my sig has a link for sick plants i tink
if its not google the guide name its posted on other forums too

BudMan
23-01-13, 11:25 AM
Dracaena Marginata (Dragon Tree) ....

Type of soil does anyone know, wanting to repot today.

Houseplant compost? Ericaceous compost? ...Does not like B+Q multi-purpose thats for sure.

Ganesha
25-01-13, 01:31 AM
Dracaena are NOT ericaceous & require a standard soil-based mixture.

BudMan
25-01-13, 03:03 AM
So a decent potting soil should be suffice? Last time I repotted it into general multi purpose tho and now it looks so unhealthy

DrGreen
25-01-13, 03:07 AM
try terra soil?

Ganesha
25-01-13, 03:23 AM
Where is this Dracaena? They need lots of bright light but not direct sunlight. (They're under-canopy plants in their natural home, hence their urge to strive upwards & shed their lower leaves as they grow.) The ideal situation would be set back from a South-facing obscured glass bathroom window cos they need plenty of humidity too. It won't be the soil unless you bought a duff batch.

Try sharing a shower with it a couple of times. It'll appreciate it & you two might bond a bit & give it more reason to thrive.

BudMan
25-01-13, 12:34 PM
Where is this Dracaena? They need lots of bright light but not direct sunlight. (They're under-canopy plants in their natural home, hence their urge to strive upwards & shed their lower leaves as they grow.) The ideal situation would be set back from a South-facing obscured glass bathroom window cos they need plenty of humidity too. It won't be the soil unless you bought a duff batch.

Try sharing a shower with it a couple of times. It'll appreciate it & you two might bond a bit & give it more reason to thrive.

Its in my kitchen, south facing window. Its at the back of the room so not in direct light but get's the most without getting in the way. I'll try repotting it into a decent light potting soil and see how she recovers. Bathrooms not an option, crap ventilation. Tried a plant in there once, far too humid. Soil just instantly went white and furry. Especially how cold it is at the minute, cant keep windows wide open.

Now showering with her sounds fun on the other hand. Shame its not a Palm tree!

Ganesha
26-01-13, 03:47 AM
<snip>
Now showering with her sounds fun on the other hand. Shame its not a Palm tree!

Oo-er! I wasn't suggesting any, Ahem, 'Palming' going on. LOL! ;)

Actually I wasn't taking the piss. If you put the plant in the shower with you it'll get nicely foamy with the detergents you use on yourself (shower gel, shampoo, etc). Then give it a good blast with the shower attachment to get rid of the soap & you'll wash off any nasties that may have been lurking there. & a decent wash down with detergent usually gives hardy houseplants a boost.

Your neighbours will brand you a weirdo but it really does work.

I love Dragon Trees. Haven't had one for a while cos I can't give them enough light in my house. They go all spindly so I gave up.

I have more Yukkas than I know what to do with though. Do you want one? Does anyone want one?? I have loads. Jade trees too. I'm plagued with the fuckers. Someone take them off my hands please??? I'd swap the lot for a nice simple Dracaena. :rolleye:

Sheila
26-01-13, 09:16 PM
Oo-er! I wasn't suggesting any, Ahem, 'Palming' going on. LOL! ;)

Actually I wasn't taking the piss. If you put the plant in the shower with you it'll get nicely foamy with the detergents you use on yourself (shower gel, shampoo, etc). Then give it a good blast with the shower attachment to get rid of the soap & you'll wash off any nasties that may have been lurking there. & a decent wash down with detergent usually gives hardy houseplants a boost.

Your neighbours will brand you a weirdo but it really does work.

I love Dragon Trees. Haven't had one for a while cos I can't give them enough light in my house. They go all spindly so I gave up.

I have more Yukkas than I know what to do with though. Do you want one? Does anyone want one?? I have loads. Jade trees too. I'm plagued with the fuckers. Someone take them off my hands please??? I'd swap the lot for a nice simple Dracaena. :rolleye:

Oh I wish I wasn't an ocean away from you... I love Yukkas and Jade is one of my favorites too. You are very lucky :D

Ganesha
26-01-13, 10:52 PM
Oh I wish I wasn't an ocean away from you... I love Yukkas and Jade is one of my favorites too. You are very lucky :D

Cheers Sheila but be careful what you wish for. I have more of the things than I know what to do with. & of course I'm not going to just throw them out, am I? & they take over after a while.

So what to do, eh? There is a charity shop down the road that does plants. I bought my bathroom Lemon Geranium from there (for 50p - BARGAIN! :)) so I reckon I can offload some of the excess on them. Well I'll give it a punt anyway.

Meanwhile can you make beer/wine from Yukkas? Just asking, like...