PDA

View Full Version : Finishing with cold water?

Mr.UnclePen
01-03-13, 08:08 AM
Has anyone ever heard of this? Supposedly it creates some sort of reaction that brings out the color and bouquet...

As in watering in soil with very cold water the last few weeks.

B.A.BARACUS
01-03-13, 09:07 AM
You'd go a funny colour if I poured freezing cold water on you...

Apparently roots don't like cold water & my feed is normally at room temp to avoid the shock..

babybud3232
01-03-13, 10:37 AM
likewise:) ^^^

goochy
01-03-13, 11:10 AM
Cold temps will shock the plant and will make it go funny colour. It's obviously not a good thing.

mellowed
01-03-13, 11:23 AM
In soil then yes it will give them a little shock but nothing major. I flush straight out the tap at the end of flower with no problems as of yet.

The colour will only come out when the rootball or plant is always cold so a one off flush won't make it go purple unless you keep the roots cold afterwards some how.

If you really want the purple colour then drop your groom temps to below 10c for a week and watch it turn. This will stress the plant and stop growth and nutrient uptake so its not for the faint hearted an I wouldn't do it with an auto unless you want a hermie.

I love the colours from cold plants but its not really healthy and your yield is going to suffer.

Bigred85
01-03-13, 11:41 AM
About 25 years ago, I was friendly with a big American fella. He and his family were well into the growing scene, and he swore by pouring Boiling water over roots just before harvest.
He says that, like humans who get scalded,were the blood rushes to the surface . A plant sends all it's resin to the leaves to protect itself. Smelled like shite to me then, And I haven't changed my opinion since.

What do you reckon on that one ???

Cheers Bigred

Koncept
01-03-13, 11:58 AM
In soil then yes it will give them a little shock but nothing major. I flush straight out the tap at the end of flower with no problems as of yet.

The colour will only come out when the rootball or plant is always cold so a one off flush won't make it go purple unless you keep the roots cold afterwards some how.

If you really want the purple colour then drop your groom temps to below 10c for a week and watch it turn. This will stress the plant and stop growth and nutrient uptake so its not for the faint hearted an I wouldn't do it with an auto unless you want a hermie.

I love the colours from cold plants but its not really healthy and your yield is going to suffer.

what he said. my first grow i had problems with the cold temps and i used to let my water sit on the cold window seal in the kitchen. this majorly stopped the growth of the plant.

mellowed
01-03-13, 12:05 PM
Hey bigred.

Plausible but how did he find that out lol.
Chopping with a brew maybe.

Once the roots have been scolded there dead so really they won't be able to take any water or nutrients on board but then again that's the idea but that's only if they all get scalded which may not always be the case.

Interesting. Maybe my next crazy grow I will try it an see.

Infact.

I have a partially harvest plant in the groom. I'm gonna try it later on an see.

Bigred85
01-03-13, 12:16 PM
Mate, he also said that you cut the meristem after you scald them. And the resin would pour out.

Guy said more than his prayers.
Don't try it on yours, if any of that boiling water was to get into the cell walls, you would be trying to dry cooked rhubarb,lol

mellowed
01-03-13, 01:39 PM
Resin would pour out lol. That's starchy water at best lol. Yeah I think will give this other bit a miss.

I will try the boiling water though as I love a good experiment and the plants getting chopped soon anyway.

Bigred85
01-03-13, 02:44 PM
I was going to say good luck, you'd not catch me trying to do it.
But, obviously I still wish you good luck, I too have one coming down in a week or so. Bugger it. i'll give it a go too. I'll post it up here just for a laugh177432177433
At day 78 now, just wondering; Should I PH the boiling water, hehe

cheers Bigred

mellowed
01-03-13, 02:56 PM
Lol ya won't catch me doing it now. I've just been looking over the plant I was gonna use an found a banana so I've just chopped it down.

I may try it with a small mmg next week though.

Let us know if you see any noticeable difference mate. An yeah I think ya could do with phing the boiling water lol. Just not in the kettle. Wouldnt want that in ya brew now would ya.:D

P.s that's a nice big fat single cola. Likes it I does.

Bigred85
01-03-13, 03:35 PM

Strange, isn't it how a plant responds.
I had this one topped and trained, happy enough with 8 colas. Then the middle branch decides it wants to do that. Bonus. There's an easy 2 oz in that head alone. The top leaf was at the height of the bucket rim going into flower and stands about 2 and a half feet. Perfect for a 600W vert, 6 around a bulb. Probably between 7 and 8 oz per plant, it's so easy now it's boring, lol

Thanks for the compliment, Mellowed

Cheers

mellowed
01-03-13, 03:42 PM
Jez mate that's good growing.

I say it as I see it mate and that's a nice ass plant. Hope you do manage the 2 from the main cola though coz that would be an brilliant bonus.

Bigred85
01-03-13, 04:10 PM
That last statement was vey much "Tongue in Cheek" for anyone thinking I was being big headed.

I just give them what they want mate, and they always reward me. I am firmly off the opinion that growing dope is over complicated by too many. It's a plant, in a pot. Farmers use additives in the soil, because they get leached away, and cannot be replaced naturally.
We feed our plants everything they need, every feed. So the concentration of that feed can be weak. It's always getting replaced.

If you liked that one, wanna see her sister?

330grams in 11L coco with about 3 week veg under 96W T5

It does take 120 days or so though, so it's not really worth it if your looking a quick turn around.
Cheers fella

Mr.UnclePen
01-03-13, 06:09 PM
You'd go a funny colour if I poured freezing cold water on you...

Apparently roots don't like cold water & my feed is normally at room temp to avoid the shock..

you're right on with useless replies todays. lol, jk man.

Apparently roots don't like it? hahaha Let me clarify, they certainly shouldn't be fed with cold water all of the time. I'm talking about on and off for the last week-5days. Yeah Boycie, i'm going to water from day one with cold water. :laugh:

I might give this a try next time harvest comes around.

Mr.UnclePen
01-03-13, 06:11 PM
About 25 years ago, I was friendly with a big American fella. He and his family were well into the growing scene, and he swore by pouring Boiling water over roots just before harvest.
He says that, like humans who get scalded,were the blood rushes to the surface . A plant sends all it's resin to the leaves to protect itself. Smelled like shite to me then, And I haven't changed my opinion since.

What do you reckon on that one ???

Cheers Bigred

Same idea but cold.