PDA

View Full Version : Seedlings under UVB...

Phycosises
30-03-13, 12:40 PM
So I have started 4 liberty haze fems and shortly after had some problems with tent having to come down... So I thaught what the hell ill put them in my vivarium with my lizards under there 20 watt 10.0 UVB repti glow bulb temps about 28c and humidity is around 50 they've had one night in there so far and there all loving it leafes stretching upwards towards the light. not sure if this will help anyone I will update the thread with how they get along an maybe get some picks up in the meantime.

psychocannanaut
30-03-13, 12:50 PM
from what i have seen they will stretch too fook looking for available light, if you have a couple household cfl's they would do better under there mate but id love to be proved wrong

tricone
30-03-13, 12:54 PM
from what i have seen they will stretch too fook looking for available light, if you have a couple household cfl's they would do better under there mate but id love to be proved wrong This is probably true. It would be like using an incandescent. If they are stretching to the light they might not be the right spectrum.

RastaMouse22
30-03-13, 01:11 PM
I tried that once :D.. I used couple of blocks of wood to stop my monitor (he was about a ft.. Ft n half) came back to the wood ripped up and the plant unrooted from the pot and just a squashed plant pmsl..
What reptile you got pal?

Also as psycho said house hold cfls would be better... Just dont put the cfls in with the reptile.. Well known for causing blindness in reptiles even the exo terra cfls can (not the tube ones)
Peace

Phycosises
30-03-13, 03:48 PM
I've just found space in the loft for my mh bulb and the girls so there only in there for another day or 2 till I get it sorted... And to rasta I've got 3 bearded dragons pics on my profile :)

RastaMouse22
30-03-13, 04:10 PM
I've just found space in the loft for my mh bulb and the girls so there only in there for another day or 2 till I get it sorted... And to rasta I've got 3 bearded dragons pics on my profile :)

What bout a window cil mate? Will stop the strech abit.. If not when you pot up just bury the stem :) done..

Nice man and cant see a pik pal
Peace

Phycosises
30-03-13, 10:13 PM
Yeah but I don't want them jumping into veg I've got a 85 watt cfl over them for the next few days not ideal I know but the mh will be up soon!

Phaeton
20-07-13, 09:56 AM
There are eight fixtures in the back ground, 48 tubes in all. 16 of these tubes are Reptisun 10.
210166 The UVB lvel does not seem to hurt these Haze seedlings.

Normally this is the prep room for the last two weeks of veg before the budroom, the UVB slows the stretch when put to bud. The circle has 2768 watts so the 512 watts of 10% UVB is not really that much.
I know, lots and lots and lots of wasted light. It helps heat the house in winter.

Seedlings don't mind UVB lizard lights as long as there are growlights with them.

mellowed
20-07-13, 10:01 AM
Why you using these lights mate? Any particular reason behind it??

Phaeton
20-07-13, 10:13 AM
This is not usually used for seedlings, these are new and I wanted to be sure they did well.

The circle has two CMH (800 watts) on top and another 400 watts at an angle. These lights grow phenomenally all by themselves.
The 48 tube sidelights add the 512 watts UVB mentioned plus 1024 watts of Florasun, mostly red for penetrating water in aquariums. Water is resistant to red so I use aquarium grow bulbs as they are stronger in the reds.
The red on the side bushes the plants out quite a lot more than not having them. I find the UVB keeps them shorter and they stretch less when put in the budroom, which also has UVB. They do not stretch very much less in the budroom but are measurably shorter during veg than plants without UVB.

mellowed
20-07-13, 10:16 AM
Hmmm i see mate.
never seen anyone use them right through the grow as uv light is used to increase tricome production in the last few weeks more than anything.

I shall follow this mate and see how they turn out.

Love a good experiment :)