Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's Extract Tek

Thanks

Lightbulb Alex's Extract Tek

Hello fellow cannabinoid lovers! I am fairly new to this forum, but am a veteran in the cannabis subculture. I have been making oil for over 10 years now and have tried many different methods. Started out with ISO oil and after a while, got sick of black oil, and I didn't like the chemistry behind the extraction. I also discovered how dangerous a critical solvent extraction can be. From my experience, using butane as a solvent with the proper extraction tool can be a quick, efficient way to make a very potent cannabis extract. With a little tweaking, one can gain many different consistencies to their finished product.
    Here we go!

Yesterday I decided to run around 10-15grams of bottombag/popcorn buds. I made sure that the product was crumble dry beforehand.

Materials needed are.
    -Desired amount of buds/bottom bag/trim.(ex. buds=10% return) The extraction ratio will change depending on the medium used, and if one prefers using whole or crushed up buds.
    -Butane(Only certain brands will do, no camping butane, and dont give up, most smoke shops will have high-grade butane. I usually either use colibri or Xikar. Look for a "NEAR ZERO IMPURITIES) label.
    -Hose clamp(s). These are for fastening your filter to your extraction tube.
    -Extraction tube. There are many kids, Most people either use glass or stainless steel these days. I cant believe people used to use PVC pipe or those plastic ones. I just wouldnt risk it.
    -Unbleached coffee filters(not the cone kind). I usually double up, and place on the end of my tube after it is filled. Then i fasten fairly tight-just enough so that it wont slip off from the pressure built up by the butane.
    -Pyrex dishes! I use a two dish setup. One to catch my blast, and one underneith to contain boiling water. I have found this method to be one of the safest and with this method, one can purge most of the butane off before hitting the hot plate for curing(final purge)
    -Pill bottle caps(to seperate the pyrex dishes from one another to allow water to flow through) I urge you to be creative! Anything will work as long as it doesnt slip away and put a decent amount of distance between both dishes.
    -Razorblades. These will be your second best friend when harvesting as well as razing the big butane bubbles.
    -Isopropyl alcohol. Your best friend. To clean your dishes and other equipment beforehand. Also great for getting oil off of places that cha dont want it!
    -Hot Plate. This is completely optional and purging can be done with boiling water alone, it just takes quite a bit longer and although it is safer, after a while one will know what temperature to set the hot plate at, and just by looking at the oil one will know when to remove it from the heat. Big bubbles=Butane. Small bubbles = Terpines/cannabinoids.
    -Receptacle. Again, be creative. I currently use a titanium oil dish which also makes it very easy to purge after collecting, but parchment paper works AWESOME as well as these silicone mats they have out. Last thing you want to use is a rolling paper, tin foil, plastic.....You will learn by trial and error.

My process.

Alex's Essential Extract.

I first load up my extraction tube with my material, packing it fairly tight with a bent straw from mcdonalds(lol) I pack the tube so that the material springs back a little bit but still stays packed down. I usually pre-pack my tube to have it ready to run.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	204576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1grasstube.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	204578
    After packing my tube I will then make sure my dishes are set up outside, and that my kettle is boiling. I have a great electric kettle that will boil, and then keep its temperature until you press a button teling it not to. It keeps many different temperatures and I have found that if one doesnt have a hot plate, heating the water to around 175-180 will allow for a good purging temperature.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

BUDAllTheTime (19-01-14), Dal (20-08-13), dynodave (25-06-13), Goodbuddy (23-06-13), Koncept (24-06-13), lapse (25-06-13), Lil Sindigo (24-06-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15), mandarina (13-02-16), Mindless (24-06-13), RastaMouse22 (12-08-13), Rory Breaker (24-06-13), seanMcPot (14-07-13), Zip (29-05-14)

Thanks

Once the tube is packed, i take both filters and wrap them around the open end and pull them tight. Then i fasten the hose-clamp on, and screw it until it is fairly tight. Tight enough that it doesnt move, but wont crack the glasss. Again i'm guessing the stainless tube wont have as much of a problem with this.

Name:	BHO1clampfiltertube.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	204615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1cutthefilter.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	204616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1cutfilter.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	204617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1closeupclamp.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	204618

This is the time when you need to be able to do step after step without pausing or wondering what happens next. This is the blasting stage.

I start by prepping both my dishes and boiling my water. I have the advantage of a kettle that keeps the water at a boil, but I have used water that has been boiled 10 mins in advance and it still works. Just a little slower. OH........ NEVER DO THE BLASTING OR EVAP STAGE INSIDE OR NEAR ANY ELECTRICAL DEVICES OR OPEN FLAMES
    I cant tell you how important this is. Almost blew up my bathroom as a kid making iso oil. Stupid mistake, wont ever do it again. I have scars to remind me. I now always take precautions such as eyeware gloves and considering butane pools when in gas form, i usually blast on my balcony so that it can disperse and not reach that 1.4% concentration..its flashpoint.
    Heres an example of my dishes and how i separate them.

Name:	BHO1Doublepan.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	204620

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15), mandarina (13-02-16), Mindless (24-06-13), RastaMouse22 (12-08-13), Smokeface (01-02-15)

Thanks

Name:	BHO1PANS2.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	204621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1Panready.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	204622

Okay now I have my kettle of boiled water sitting on the porch with me, I have my glasses on as well as a glove to hold my extraction tube with(it will get very very cold) and I usually have a helper to hand my the kettle or other things. Sometimes they are there just for safety reasons.
    I hover over my dishes, make sure nothing dropped in and that the blasting dish is clean, grab my extraction tube, hold it over my dish, and slowly start to empty the butane canister into it. I usually use half a container per run, dont really know the extent that i can fit in my tube, but i'm sure its close to half an oz. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1CaninTube.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	204623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1GloveOve.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	204624

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

Nicely done.

What about the extract and purge? Coming soon?

haha I used to use an oven mit to hold the tube. I notice the aluminum, probably bc it's a lot thinner gets colder than the glass. The glass tube I had was way too big though, it could fit like half a pound of bud and had to use two-three cans a run. That's a nice one you have there though. As you mentioned, they sell them everywhere. A clothing/houseware/ect store had a setup in their front window of a pyrex dish, turkey baster and butane, again, goes to show the phenomenon.

I've also found that freezing/cooling by placing the tube and the butane in the freezer while the water is heating up is a nice little touch as well. Colder temps = better extraction.

What type of butane do you have there?
    Last edited by Mr.UnclePen; 24-06-13 at 03:50 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.UnclePen For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), mandarina (13-02-16)

Cuda Guest

How do you know when to stop spraying the butane in??

©Dr. Scrogger

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Scrogger View Post
    How do you know when to stop spraying the butane in??

©Dr. Scrogger
    You'll notice right when it comes ("blasts") out it is a light green/hashish color, after the "blast" begins the color will start to turn more clear (butane is clear). When it's pretty much all clear then you know you've gathered all of the trichs (from this run) that you can. After a few runs of whatever you run (straight flower or trimmings, or both, they all will take different amounts, not a huge difference, but there non the less) you'll get the hang of it much better.

I like to run it for 5 seconds, let it rest for one or two second, and then run the rest (until it's clear) so I don't have to worry about back pressure building up.

Also, and I apologie with these lengthy posts Alex, I certainly don't mean to intrude, but NEVER use wet trimmings. The butane will turn that water and freeze it instantly which could cause blockage in the tube from ice, therefor backpressure will build and you'll be wishing you had waited for the bud or trim to completely dry. Plus, you simply get more product when it's 1) complete dry, and 2) frozen.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.UnclePen For This Useful Post:

alexsm (26-06-13), Dal (20-08-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15), Smokeface (01-02-15)

Cuda Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.UnclePen View Post
    You'll notice right when it comes ("blasts") out it is a light green/hashish color, after the "blast" begins the color will start to turn more clear (butane is clear). When it's pretty much all clear then you know you've gathered all of the trichs (from this run) that you can. After a few runs of whatever you run (straight flower or trimmings, or both, they all will take different amounts, not a huge difference, but there non the less) you'll get the hang of it much better.

I like to run it for 5 seconds, let it rest for one or two second, and then run the rest (until it's clear) so I don't have to worry about back pressure building up.

Also, and I apologie with these lengthy posts Alex, I certainly don't mean to intrude, but NEVER use wet trimmings. The butane will turn that water and freeze it instantly which could cause blockage in the tube from ice, therefor backpressure will build and you'll be wishing you had waited for the bud or trim to completely dry. Plus, you simply get more product when it's 1) complete dry, and 2) frozen.
    Dry it - freeze it - clear runoff. Got it. Thanks guys )

©Dr. Scrogger

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,399 Times

Spot on Alex, just the way my old man has done it for years..
    current grow - a quick run of Power Plant in mapito by Rory B

"How is it that your fucking stupid soon-to-be-dead friends thought they might be able to steal my cannabis and then sell it back to me? Is this a declaration of war? Is this some white cunt's joke that black cunts don't get? 'Cause Im not fucking laughing Ni-ko-las!"

Thanks

Here we go, I make sure that my boiling water is ready and I start to spray. My helper is there just to watch and to hand me a can if I am doing a larger run.
    These are my blasting pics. I blast until I hear the butane can almost empty. There is air pressure at the end, and it can contain or absorb moisture out of the air, so i suggest stopping the flow just as you hear the can dying down. I make sure my filter is tight, then get my glove on, hold it over the pan, and start blasting!

Name:	BHO1smoothfilter.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	204796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1Tubewithcan.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	204797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1RUNNING3.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	204795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1RUNNING2.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	204794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1RUNNING.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	204793

After this, If i want to do another run, I will purge most of the butane off, and then do another run in the same pan. My blasting dish came with a cover, and keeping the dish clean is very important so i suggest covering it when not purging or doing anything with it. Keeps dust and little particles out.

Some people have their hot water prefilled in the other dish, but I like to wait until I am done blasting to fill er up. This allows for a quick transfer of water and little to no absorption in the blasting dish. I am going to talk about different textures and how to achieve them later on, but let me just say this. If your concentrate auto-budders, it probably has moisture in it. I have ran into this problem more than once. It is easily avoidable. Keep the water stage short, and make sure none of it gets in your blasting dish. I will touch on the water evap in the next post.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15), mandarina (13-02-16), Smokeface (01-02-15), varmint (09-09-13)

Thanks

It seems like my other post was put in the wrong place in the thread?! Anyway here is where I will touch on the basic water purge, and the scraping/gathering. I will talk about the curing/final purge stage next.

THE WATER PURGE

After one has blasted into their dish, again make sure that there is separation between both dishes and SLOWLY pour your hot water in. I deliberately make sure that my bottom dish is quite larger and wider than my blasting dish, and that it can accomodate enough water to evap the butane quickly. Heres a lil example of how slow and careful I am.

Name:	BHO1PouringWater.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	204798
    Slow and steady gets the best oil. Too fast of an evap(over hot plate/element) will result in darker less tasty oil. With the water evap, you are guaranteed to never go over temp and with enough practice, you wont need much water at all.

Right after I pour my water in, the butane/cannabinoid mixture starts to boil up. Quite amazing to witness the first time around, and after a while it will start to get "soupy" and quite thick. Not done yet, Keep purging that stuff until you see HUGE bubbles starting to form. They should start popping on their own, but there will come a point where you might have to help them along by razing them. Just the big bubbles, the smaller ones are terpenes and cannabinoids so when purging on the hotplate, watch out for this. Can mean the line between amazing potent extract and burned up engine oil. Here are a couple purge pics. I personally love watching the consistency change.

Name:	BHO1Reallyboiling.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	204799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1Boilingoff.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	204800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1Gettingsoupy.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	204801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1Slowerbiggerbubble.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	204802

Next I will touch on scraping, collecting, and the final purge.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), Goodbuddy (12-08-13), Smokeface (01-02-15)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast