Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux ubuntu or mint or another?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,503 Times

Question Linux ubuntu or mint or another?

Ok, so i've got a old laptop that hasn't got a disk so i'm not to sure i can re-install windows xp. But even if i could, i want to try another os. So here i am with a linux question. I know that mint is a sister too ubuntu, but mint is reading more appealing, but to me not looking like it. Just need some of you guys that are users to chip in, and with other distro's if you have a good one thats like windows but not?

Regards jon
    Been busy in life, sorry to have missed so much in the forum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jumpon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,188 Times

well the fact still remains that most users out there started of with windows as it the most common OS, but i have had linux mint & ubuntu running on my partitioned HD to see the differance and... 'windows i think is full of shit'. cant go too far wrong with the likes of the other 2, no virus's & the freeware ya get is class

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Special Branch For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), jumpon (02-07-13)

Cuda Guest

I have Ubuntu running off an external hard drive (can't do that with windows) and I love it. Very rarely you need a program only available for windows but you can run them in wine. Pluss its free and always getting updated.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

jumpon (02-07-13)

Thanks

i use PearLinux an OSX-a-like distro but if it's specifically a distro that looks like windows then try Zorin

PearOS: http://pearlinux.fr/download/
    ZorinOS: http://zorin-os.com/free7.html

personally PearOs would win over linuxmint for me, and linuxmint would win over Ubuntu, never used Zorin though, they are all debian or ubuntu based i believe, good luck
    Take my advice!!!... I never use it anyway...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to that420guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,188 Times

manjaro is another good OS, its like lightning too

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Special Branch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

mint by 10x

It's user friendly yet contains all of the great things about Linux, and freeware.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.UnclePen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times

CentOS and XFCE here

Perhaps not the best choice for a newcomer to Linux, though.

Ubuntu is likely to work out of the box, but it's pretty fat and bloated compared to some of the others.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pinguy is worth a look, based on Ubuntu but not Ubuntu. I've got it installed on my laptop and works a treat

http://pinguyos.com/

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lapse For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), jumpon (02-07-13), Special Branch (02-07-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,503 Times

Quote Originally Posted by that420guy View Post
    i use PearLinux an OSX-a-like distro but if it's specifically a distro that looks like windows then try Zorin

PearOS: http://pearlinux.fr/download/
    ZorinOS: http://zorin-os.com/free7.html

personally PearOs would win over linuxmint for me, and linuxmint would win over Ubuntu, never used Zorin though, they are all debian or ubuntu based i believe, good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Branch View Post
    manjaro is another good OS, its like lightning too
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymiss View Post
    CentOS and XFCE here

Perhaps not the best choice for a newcomer to Linux, though.

Ubuntu is likely to work out of the box, but it's pretty fat and bloated compared to some of the others.
    Cool i would class my self as a beginner, thou understand com writting in cod4 etc. So let me know if the other ones you have addressed will be ok for me. Miss i have read your posts on another thread, can't remeber which one, but knew you would be along. I had to start another as it was slightly off the op's thread.

Cheers all BTW

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jumpon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), Special Branch (02-07-13)

Thanks

all you need is a distro of your choice and a usb stick, the best thing about linux is almost everything comes as a live dvd, so you use a program like unetbootin to transfer the image to usb, boot your laptop up, change bios to boot from usb and then it should hopefully boot to a live environment of your chosen distro, try a few, then when you find the one you like proceed to install (if you want to save/preserve files) or continue using as a live disk (it doesn't cache any info on your installed hdd it's all saved in the ram so once you reboot anything you've done on the live os isn't saved)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to that420guy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast