Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Linux ubuntu or mint or another?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,621 Times

I've used several different versions of Linux over the years and it doesn't matter how nice the graphic interface is You're always going to end up doing stuff by command line. So if you're totally comfortable with command line installs then Linux may be for you.

I'd take a look at whatever computer you want to put it on and see if they ever offered a Linux distribution from the factory, if they did you'll probably find all the drivers will install automatically. If not, it's a real crap shoot as to whether or not your computer's going to work right off the bat.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), M_C (07-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,775 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    I've used several different versions of Linux over the years and it doesn't matter how nice the graphic interface is You're always going to end up doing stuff by command line. So if you're totally comfortable with command line installs then Linux may be for you.

I'd take a look at whatever computer you want to put it on and see if they ever offered a Linux distribution from the factory, if they did you'll probably find all the drivers will install automatically. If not, it's a real crap shoot as to whether or not your computer's going to work right off the bat.

J

Whilst the drivers are a pain, the lack of usable software also lets them down... and when the feck is some geek software linux fan boy going to write an executable program.... you know, download some software & click to install - without ever having to know a single CLI command? FFS! GUI has been out for years... linux supports a lot of GUI... but not for software & drivers

Whilst I really have no good words to say about the monstrosity called Windows - at least micro$lop understands what the customer wants!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), Jingo (07-10-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    All Linux distros lose kudos by being too 'geeky' & failing to understand that the customer does not want to read 5 pages on a geek forum to find how he can possibly install drivers for hardware... and then fail miserably when attempting it.

I'm one of the above. I play with Linux about every 5 year & it is just as rubbish as it was 20 year ago... that said, 20 year ago it was probably better as windows wasn't so advanced!

Wine is about 15 year out of date for most users - try adding a NAS to Wine!
    Thanx to sharing your experience .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fionapetko For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-10-20)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6