Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Linux ubuntu or mint or another?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times

Given that they're all free, there's no reason you shouldn't try a few and see what you like

One thing you may not be aware of is that Ubuntu, Mint, Pear, CentOS, and many others, are all much the same under the hood. They're all based on Debian (other distros are available), but they differ by having different window managers and provide different utilities (and probably in level the of hardware detection and automatic driver installation they provide, perhaps).

So, you could install a straight Debian (or other) system and then try out different window managers and install the utilities you want. This is probably Doing It The Hard Way™, but it's also probably the most streamlined and flexible. (And if you want to learn, it's definitely the way to go.)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), jumpon (02-07-13), lapse (02-07-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

Because it seems like you never have used Linux or Ubuntu, or any of this freeware I, again, suggest Mint as it's going to provide the typical user with their best experience in that platform. It's very good with drivers and such, you don't have to download patches, or edit codes, or anything like that. It's quick and easy to use and install. If you were into programming I'd suggest Anons route, but again, it seems as though you just want something simple and easy to use. And when I say that, I'm not suggesting Mint is cutting using shortcuts, it's extremely stable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.UnclePen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20)

Thanks

if you wanted to mess around with hacking then have a look at backtrack linux, get a compatible wireless card and have hours of fun bruteforcing your neighbours connections and changing the settings
    Take my advice!!!... I never use it anyway...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to that420guy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), jumpon (02-07-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.UnclePen View Post
    If you were into programming I'd suggest Anons route
    Programming isn't required, but it will probably require grasping some new concepts and at least some sort of manual installation.

Like you say, not the best way for a newcomer And as I said, it's probably Doing It The Hard Way.

I don't know Mint, and have little experience with Ubuntu, or any other pre-packaged Linux + Window Manager environment for that matter, so I can't recommend one over the other. But, I suspect that any of the mainstream ones will work acceptably, and that a lot of it is simply down to familiarity and what one likes. (I still like Windows!)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,188 Times

most of the ones mentioned will boot from cd, so while ya have the cd in the cpu you can test the software... if ya dont like it, fine.. eject cd & reboot and it'll boot back to the installed software 'windows etc'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Special Branch For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

I didn't mean to suggest that programming is needed, but you have to know some concepts, and theories as you mentioned. Not so much with Mint.

Would you disagree in that Mint is the easiest for the typical pc user?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.UnclePen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

there's no cd drive in the laptop, if you're unsure about what to go for and just want a copy of windows xp, then just download a copy from the usual torrent sites or wherever and put it onto usb using Novicorp's WinToFlash, or use an older copy of unetbootin which recognises NTFS flash drives

download wintoflash from the authors website below
    Code:
    http://wintoflash.com/download/en/
    ubuntu and all it's derivatives are easy to use, so long as you know a few terminal commands and know how to use google to troubleshoot (something i had to do a lot of when first starting out with linux, not nearly as much as i had to when hackintoshing pc's though)
    Last edited by that420guy; 02-07-13 at 08:59 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to that420guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.UnclePen View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest that programming is needed, but you have to know some concepts, and theories as you mentioned. Not so much with Mint.
    Or indeed with any of the pre-packaged Linux + Window Manager + Theme distributions, I think. Some may be better than others, but I would expect them to install and work without any problems (or at least on most mainstream hardware).

Would you disagree in that Mint is the easiest for the typical pc user?
    I would neither agree nor disagree...

I don't know Mint, and have little experience with Ubuntu, or any other pre-packaged Linux + Window Manager environment for that matter, so I can't recommend one over the other. But, I suspect that any of the mainstream ones will work acceptably, and that a lot of it is simply down to familiarity and what one likes. (I still like Windows!)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

Claymorrow (02-07-13), GEORGE (07-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,503 Times

Quote Originally Posted by that420guy View Post
    continue using as a live disk (it doesn't cache any info on your installed hdd it's all saved in the ram so once you reboot anything you've done on the live os isn't saved)
    Is this a sly way of doing bad things, then if you get busted no info can be traced from your pc by the police etc etc??

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymiss View Post
    by having different window managers and provide different utilities (and probably in level the of hardware detection and automatic driver installation they provide, perhaps).
    Ok so ubuntu is like buying a car, and what your saying is like buying a shell, then a engine etc etc until you have the car you want?

if you wanted to mess around with hacking then have a look at backtrack linux, get a compatible wireless card and have hours of fun bruteforcing your neighbours connections and changing the settings
    Ha sounds fun ^^

there's no cd drive in the laptop, if you're unsure about what to go for and just want a copy of windows xp, then just download a copy from the usual torrent sites or wherever and put it onto usb using Novicorp's WinToFlash, or use an older copy of unetbootin which recognises NTFS flash drives
    When i say this, this is how much of a beginner i am "my laptop has a cd drive, but do you mean a cd can't boot the os??"

i use google all the time to solve problems.
    Been busy in life, sorry to have missed so much in the forum.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jumpon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jumpon View Post
    When i say this, this is how much of a beginner i am "my laptop has a cd drive, but do you mean a cd can't boot the os??"

i use google all the time to solve problems.
    you can burn a OS image to disc then install via your cd drive, but i find it easier to use this http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and put the image onto a usb as an installer instead.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lapse For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), jumpon (03-07-13)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast