Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Linux ubuntu or mint or another?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,503 Times

Quote Originally Posted by lapse View Post
    you can burn a OS image to disc then install via your cd drive, but i find it easier to use this http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and put the image onto a usb as an installer instead.
    I'm on the case, going with ubuntu first
    Been busy in life, sorry to have missed so much in the forum.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jumpon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), lapse (03-07-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jumpon View Post
    Is this a sly way of doing bad things, then if you get busted no info can be traced from your pc by the police etc etc??
    it's all subjective really, who's to say what's bad and good, but yeah it could be used to be more anonymous, or using an unusually long password on your pc, something like 'ipromisenevertogiveanyonemypasswordever' would be a nightmare to hack i'd imagine, even harder if you went l33t and used '1pr0m153n3v3r70g1v34ny0n3myp455w0rd3v3r' so that would also hinder police checking your pc too

Ok so ubuntu is like buying a car, and what your saying is like buying a shell, then a engine etc etc until you have the car you want?
    that would be building linux from source, ain't nobody got time for that lol, it's like picking the colour and interior, you pretty much have different options for how the menu looks, the dressing if you like, they all function very similarly, albeit some use different package managers but essentially it's the same thing with a different look, like theming your pc, so ubuntu, pear, mint, zorin and the others mentioned all look slightly different but all essentially work the same since they're compiled from the same source, the major distros just take the headache away from doing it from scratch, everything is already done for you to make it as easy as possible install wise

Ha sounds fun ^^
    free wi-fi is cool lol

When i say this, this is how much of a beginner i am "my laptop has a cd drive, but do you mean a cd can't boot the os??"
    if it says cd-r or dvd-rw on the dvd bezel (next to eject button) you're good to go, buy a pack of cd-r's when you are next near the pound shop, usually 4 or 5 for a quid, you can then burn image files up to 700mb on those discs (or use them for music cd's for your car or home), if you buy dvd-r discs then you can burn image files up to 4.7gb, these should also be around 4 for a quid (if you wanted you could use these to burn movies or back up pc files too)

i use google all the time to solve problems.
    everyone does haha
    Take my advice!!!... I never use it anyway...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to that420guy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20), jumpon (03-07-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by that420guy View Post
    it's all subjective really, who's to say what's bad and good, but yeah it could be used to be more anonymous, or using an unusually long password on your pc, something like 'ipromisenevertogiveanyonemypasswordever' would be a nightmare to hack i'd imagine, even harder if you went l33t and used '1pr0m153n3v3r70g1v34ny0n3myp455w0rd3v3r' so that would also hinder police checking your pc too
    Yeah i ment, like if you was looking at dodgy stuff on ya pc, they couldn't search through the hard drive for packets of information etc, as it is all in the ram.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jumpon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20)

Thanks

yeah, pretty much

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to that420guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,051 Times

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azerbanphal For This Useful Post:

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

Just installed pear and mint linux onto dvd as image and pretty impressed with both of them.I think I prefer pear but it's close..If my boot.mbr goes on me at least I will able to use one of these to get online with,pretty handy

Looking for New Pastures

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to up2nogood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

Yeah it's nice to have a CD or thumb drive laying around with a fresh linux install, just in case...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.UnclePen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Azerbanphal View Post
    ha just looked up to see that i have it bookmarked, prob from last time i was guna look into linux.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jumpon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20)

Thanks

Just a quick thought, i guess there is no need to update drivers as in windows and will be swapping to linux, but is that the same for things like bios drivers?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jumpon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Azerbanphal View Post
    that is quite a list, not heard of most on there. No Pinguy though..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to lapse For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-20)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast