Thread: Why the royal baby's name had to be George rather than James

Thanks

Default Why the royal baby's name had to be George rather than James

What's in a very name? asks Shakespeare's Juliet. the solution is, a lot: tradition, emulation, family expectation. Our gift Queen Elizabeth (named while not a plan that she would ever reign) has benefited vastly from having a similar name because the most superb and in person capable of all our monarchs. once her son succeeds her, he can got to dodge comparisons with the previous 2 kings named Charles: one, pig-headed and divisive; the opposite, unmoral and self-gratifying.

So it had to be George. The bookies WHO created this name the favorite truly appear to own thought very little concerning unfortunate royal role models in calculative the percentages on alternative names. Their second favorite was James, in blind disregard of folk history. this incumbents in castle owe their standing to the displacement of the last James (James II, brother of Charles II) from the throne in 1688 thanks to his absolutist inclinations and open Catholicity. for one more 0.5 a century supporters of his so his descendants' claim to the throne were known as Jacobites, in echo of his name. His son declared himself "James III" ANd light-emitting diode an armed rebellion. The name appears even less probably because the new baby's father, patrician William, shares a reputation with the terribly man (William of Orange) WHO expelled King of England. And there's forever the memory of that disagreeable James Hewitt.

History discounted alternative prospects. jazz musician may be a high name for the class, however we tend to all understand the foremost renowned English jazz musician in history. Even John would possibly evoke unwanted associations: dangerous King of Great Britain might have died nearly eight centuries past, however he keeps returning to life on film and television. In fact, the sphere feels slim. Alexander and gladiator square measure fine as second and third names, however either would have had a distant feel because the name of a king. Francis attracted lots of bets however the royals for sure would have flinched from AN epicene name (it sounds as if it may be male or female). Names ne'er related to royalty before would have signalled the couple's oft-touted modernism, however the chance of bathos would are too nice. might there ever be a King Jamie? Or a King Neil? and therefore the ornate names that Kate's friends from public college or university would possibly flourish (Orlando? Tristram?) would have turned the House of Windsor into pantomime.

Boys got to have blunter names than ladies. The younger feminine generation of the House of Windsor is known as Zara, Eugenie, or fictional character. The males square measure another matter. Neither will the heir to the throne get one in all those forenames that's a shortening of another name (Jack, Fred, Tom). patrician Harry got his name as a result of he wouldn't be king. On the eve of the Battle of pitched battle, in Shakespeare's King of England, nation troops square measure impressed by "a very little bit of Harry within the night". The words square measure powerful as a result of solely the prospect of battle permits for this informal naming of King Henry.

Another nice English author, author, lays out the foremost solid English forenames. Her brothers were known as Henry, George, James, Edward, Francis and Charles: a vocalization of what we tend to currently think about because the most ancient and downright sq. of names. Her heroes have names like Henry, Edward and town. In Emma, adult male Knightley becomes engaged to the heroine so asks her to decision him by his given name, as solidly English because the nice trees on his ancient estate: George.

This was the name brought over by those German interlopers WHO were handed the throne once Queen Anne did not manufacture any heirs. Georg Ludwig, elector of Hanover, had the great luck to share a reputation with England's defender. He and his son, George II, carried on sounding German, however the ascent to the throne of the totally British and bourgeois King of Great Britain created the name sound ultra-patriotic. If the Duke and noblewoman of Cambridge did decide the name themselves, that they had the nous to form the selection that "the firm" would have created for them.

Master Poet Guest

Another SPAMMER in the making?

Very strange first post. Prove me wrong, I dare you!

10 posts and YOU'RE OUT!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master Poet For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (13-08-13), KiefKat (13-08-13), Rory Breaker (13-08-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,862 Times

That's 8 post mp.. Stay tuned man, lol

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B.A.BARACUS For This Useful Post:

KiefKat (13-08-13)

Thanks

Why not fritz as its a half-blood German

women reproduces , read all about it

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,999 Times

10 posts was that BA/Poet?

Not on my watch Number 8, spammer out the gate.

As if the mere mention of royalty is gonna drive people to the thread pmsl

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (13-08-13), KiefKat (13-08-13)

Master Poet Guest

Well GB, I would have done the honours myself on his frist post but I dont have a nice shiny hammer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Master Poet For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (13-08-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master Poet View Post
    Well GB, I would have done the honours myself on his frist post but I dont have a nice shiny hammer.
    It might have been shiny 18months ago, but it's looking a bit battered these days pmsl

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

Earwig (13-08-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,030 Times

Quote Originally Posted by goodbuddy View Post
    It might have been shiny 18months ago, but it's looking a bit battered these days pmsl
    Lol, poor thing, it needs some tlc is all.

On a side note, GB I love your caption. Salting the slugs - is it a euphemism for having a wank?

I can see it now... Mrs GB - "you dirty bastard! What are you don't with that in your hand, in the shed too?" GB - "wellllll, errrrr, just salting the slugs love" exit Mrs GB with no comeback. Amused me anyway!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Earwig For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (13-08-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Earwig View Post
    Lol, poor thing, it needs some tlc is all.

On a side note, GB I love your caption. Salting the slugs - is it a euphemism for having a wank?

I can see it now... Mrs GB - "you dirty bastard! What are you don't with that in your hand, in the shed too?" GB - "wellllll, errrrr, just salting the slugs love" exit Mrs GB with no comeback. Amused me anyway!
    pmsl, "I'll have 1.5g of what earwigs smoking please budtender"

'polishing the hammer' maybe, I'll have to let the salt sink in a bit

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

Earwig (13-08-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,030 Times

Quote Originally Posted by goodbuddy View Post
    pmsl, "I'll have 1.5g of what earwigs smoking please budtender"

'polishing the hammer' maybe, I'll have to let the salt sink in a bit
    Lol, polishing the hammer works too. And for information purposes I happen to be smoking on some bloody lovely sour cream at present. Good stuff, goodbuddy

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Earwig For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (13-08-13)