Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Venus fly traps...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,585 Times

Default Venus fly traps...

Anyone know much about these? bought a couple of ebay and they turned up looking a bit battered but i am sure i can sort them out...

They need potting up, only muck i have got here is JI number 2 and thats gonna burn the shit out of them as they need a nutrient poor medium... so whats the best stuff thats readily available in the uk for them that i can just go and grab of the shelf? i cant seem to find any peatmoss that on the b and q website so is there an alternative?

also any other tips would be great, find these little buggers really interesting and don't want them to die!!!

many thanks in advance.... IJ

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

2high (07-09-13), CocoMonkey (23-12-13), ganja.lad (13-04-18), GreenFingers321 (16-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,607 Times

Moss peat would be best, you often find them growing in bogs. Don't know what would be a decent alternative, sorry.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,965 Times

They fry under HPS, I tried growing an audry 3 from LIttle shop of horrors. Thought the HPS would grow a mutant.

🐸
    Check out the scrog
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=100889
    Or the radio
    https://www.thctalk.com/radio/listen.pls

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alzy View Post
    They fry under HPS, I tried growing an audry 3 from LIttle shop of horrors. Thought the HPS would grow a mutant.

��
    Check out the scrog
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=100889
    Or the radio
    https://www.thctalk.com/radio/listen.pls
    PMSL maybe a t5 would have been better? lol seen some of them big buggers from the little shop of horrors, thought i would start small though and then go for a biggun

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

ganja.lad (13-04-18), KiefKat (06-09-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KiefKat View Post
    Moss peat would be best, you often find them growing in bogs. Don't know what would be a decent alternative, sorry.
    Yeah it just seems to be hard to find.. i will get some ordered of ebay but thats not going to get here till the middle of next week...

what about coco and some clay balls? its nutrient poor and may do just for the time being????

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,607 Times

That'd probably work once you can keep them moist and humid. Best of luck with them, I've yet to meet anyone who's managed to keep them going more than a few months but having said that I only know a couple of people who've tried.

Thanks

just did a quick google KK and it looks like they do well in coco but after a few months they have problems with salt build up... now the coco grower in me says they need flushing once in a while with rainwater to prevent the build up, and they should be fine....?

thanks again for the replies...IJ

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,107 Times

I got one about a month ago, don't really know anything about them its part of a 'beginner pack' from hantsflytrap.com, have a look on the site for care tips.
    I've not seen the venus fly trap eat yet but the pitcher plants cant get enough

they look a bit battered when they come, I tried to mist them with rain water to clean their teeth but it never worked, they kinda grow new mouths, I wouldn't worry too much and I think they like small pots

Last edited by 2high; 07-09-13 at 12:34 AM. Reason: forgot to really answer the question....stoner

Thanks

Cheers for that mate, might get myself the beginners pack and a bag of their compost for the two i already have.... looks like a nice selection, but it sounds like i am doing it at the wrong time of year as they go dormant in the winter!!!

get some pics up if you don't mind mate, be interesting to see how its looking after a month...

cheers...IJ

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,107 Times

Attachment 221302

Nice eh if I don't see it eat soon I'll hand feed it before it sleeps lol

Sent from my iPhone because everytime I go on the computer the wife wants the computer...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast