Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Venus fly traps...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,403 Times

I had one many years ago, I kept it in a mini propagator and fed it crickets, I actually managed to get it to flower!

They like it humid and dont let the pot dry out, also dont need fertiliser, I gave mine just tap water.

scoobs Guest

Heres my 2 carnivorous plants...i used to have a sundew,lasted about 2 yr..think it died coz it needed repotting!..i thought theyd starve in a groom?!?
    These wer a fiva each from asda a few month ago..the close up is one of the tubes..nice&full.

Scoobys loft grow..scrog or lst???

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scoobs For This Useful Post:

Boxteroid Champion! Crazy Cars Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,305 Times

Wow, nice ones! I saw one of the flatter to the ground flytraps last week, I may go see if I can get an xmas deal tomorrow on one. I don't think I can get the conditions right for a pitcher plant.

I know I need to move the sundew out of the cab, do you think it will do ok if I transfer into the larger jar, and have a grow lamp on it? I was going to put in a few inches of carniv potting mix.

Sundew:

There are 4 plants in there, I'm going to split them when I transplant them. Any idea how big they grow? Could I use the smaller jar for one?

Venus Flytrap:

No red at all on the inside of the traps yet.

That hants site is good, I've been using http://www.flytrapcare.com/ which is very good as well.
    Has pic of the flatter flytraps on main page.
    Last edited by needsmust; 23-12-13 at 07:31 PM.
    The cream rises to the top, regardless of the cow it came from.
    My grows are done in a Stealth Cab 250w CFL

PC Fan to Mains for Dummies

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to needsmust For This Useful Post:

scoobs Guest

Nice work man...it hard breeding the buggers,only cold kettle water&no nutes?!?..just bugs..i like em..if they likin it as they are id stick to it..what do they eat from ur groom..??lol

Scoobys loft grow..scrog or lst???

7. The Following User Says Thank You to scoobs For This Useful Post:

needsmust (23-12-13)

Thanks

Mine came with little ones already there. I've just done some reading, they can produce seed after flowering, but you can also to stem rips to propagate. I guess who ever started these put a bunch of seeds in.

And the type of sundew I have does go dormant, dammit, so now I've messed with it's cycle. It ate a few spider mites a couple months ago. They are all gone now though, feckers.
    Should I move it to the window and let it get back on natures light cycle?

Then repot both in the spring? I think I will use the jars for the sundews.
    I have been using brita filtered water, or rainwater, bought proper potting soil for them

9. The Following User Says Thank You to needsmust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,585 Times

right lads a few pointers... only rain water, unless your tapwater has no EC.. do not feed them your self, or make the traps close for the fun of it... in winter they die back, they need to go into an inert medium, hants fly trap shop do a decent one...

also if your fly trap flowers it will weaken the plant.... they are best just put on a south facing window in the summer and keeping in an inch of water.... thats it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thanks yeah thats 101 stuff.

any input on if jar will work?

Thanks

Sorry mate that wasn't aimed at you was just trying to point out a few basics to people that maybe didn't know... and as for the jars maybe they would work, i prefer them in either normal pots in a large tray of water about 1" deep, but for my bigger trap VFT i am using a normal pot with it sat in a ceramic solid pot with the water in the bottom... i dont see how you can repot yearly in the sring from jars without messing them up to much due to the shape of the jar either...

just looking for some pics of mine now..

Dave-Hester Guest

Default Venus fly traps...

I brought two little pots from the range, they had vermiculite in and a small bag of seeds with each... It was a little kit thing.

Well I did as it said, wetted the vermiculite tipped the seeds on it and covered with clingy...

Nothing ever happens with either pot I was gutted as I really wanted to grow one of these Venus fly traps

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-Hester For This Useful Post:

needsmust (24-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bunda-Erbb View Post
    I brought two little pots from the range, they had vermiculite in and a small bag of seeds with each... It was a little kit thing.

Well I did as it said, wetted the vermiculite tipped the seeds on it and covered with clingy...

Nothing ever happens with either pot I was gutted as I really wanted to grow one of these Venus fly traps

best of buying one mate, they take a couple of months to germ i think... lol

anyway here is some of mine... cant find any of the later ones where the big fly trap was massive its died back a fair bit again now but i expect it to get bigger next year again...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0220.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	240918

Name:	DSC_0223.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	240919

Name:	DSC_0225.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	240920

Name:	DSC_0227.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	240921

Name:	DSC_0229.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	240922

they all look like shit now where they are dying back, have some proper potting mix to repot them next year...

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

needsmust (24-12-13)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast