Thread: Cannabis and antidepressant (mirtazapine/remeron) & recent anxiety issues! URGENT!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sensijacksilver Guest

Unhappy Cannabis and antidepressant (mirtazapine/remeron) & recent anxiety issues! URGENT!

Hello folks,

This is a mixed issue... I'm looking for medical evidence or personal anecdotal evidence. No conjecture if possible (usually isn't helpful) unless you have something to back it up with.

I've been taking Mirtazapine/Remeron (same drug - different industrial name depending on your location) for about 2-3 years now for depression and anxiety. Slowly moved upwards from 15mg. Started taking 30mg because 15mg was losing it's effects that helped me sleep and eat better. I have now moved to 45mg because of a recent anxiety scare with cannabis!

I've been smoking different strengths of cannabis for about 5 years at about 1g daily (with the occasional month long break for tolerance purposes). I recently found silk road and have been smoking some VERY fine stuff (not necessarily strong! But very nice...) from all over the world for the last 4 months. Not had a single episode of even the slightest anxiety throughout this time up until recently.

HOWEVER, the recent anxiety scare I spoke of came on in the last two months quite slowly (also had a building amount of personal issues but didn't think these were affecting me at the time). At first I was just noticing feeling a little bit anxious from smoking high THC/low CBD strains. Then after a batch of pretty poor quality amnesia haze (of which I had smoked before with no issue)... the final joint of it gave me some pretty unbearable anxiety. This kept me from sleeping at first because it was late at night... then I just drifted off due to the sleepy effects we're all familiar with. What worried me was that the anxiety was still evident the next day! By this point I decided it was a safe idea to stop smoking cannabis completely. I had to go to the doctors and get some diazepam (told them what had happened and that I thought it was at least partially cannabis related - they recommended the diazepam at 2mg but I was usually taking half with it being addictive). This seemed to work really well to calm me down when I was on it (felt completely fine at points). When it wore off I went back to feeling a bit anxious initially. But... day by day I found that I needed it less and less. By the time I decided I felt safe to stop taking the diazepam (after about 6 days) I had agreed to up my dosage of mirtazapine to 45mg to keep my mood stable. It's been two weeks since the initial anxiety event, just over a week since I stopped taking diazepam and about a week since I upped my dose of mirtazapine. I'm feeling pretty good again for the majority of the day with the occasional (but not very serious) bout of anxiety (usually set off by talking about/seeing upsetting things or worrying about what's happened to me).

Can anyone shed any light on what has happened? Specifically in regards to things like combining mirtazapine (or other similar antidepressants) with cannabis, smoking when you have anxiety and depression (long term - without any bad experiences for years).

I do feel much better now but I think I could eliminate the anxiety completely if I had a better idea of what's been up with me.

Really appreciate anything (serious) that people have to say. I'm sure some of you know how difficult this type of issue can be so take that into account.

AS A SIDE ISSUE:

I live in the UK and have recently found a reliable supplier of CBD tinctures made from industrial hemp (this is rare as rocking horse shit as resident will know and I will gladly pass the knowledge onto those who ask). I'm considering trying this as a supplement to my antidepressants (and hopefully an alternative if it works) to deal with the remaining anxiety. I was just wondering if this was safe considering my last reaction to cannabis? I keep hearing that it isn't psychoactive whatsoever and then that it is slightly psychoactive... that's the main worry.

Again. Thank you to all who can answer the questions I have posted.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sensijacksilver For This Useful Post: