Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Build A Twin Variac & ATC 800 + Fan Speed Controller

crazycatz2012 Guest

Awesome Tutorial Bud lightyear...Looks tha Dogs Boll#@ks! just looked on FleaBay for some the parts..not that much $$ and gonna have to build one now...

Again Awesome!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to crazycatz2012 For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (24-09-13)

crazycatz2012 Guest

hi peeps just find this on FleaBay - think its the right one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Local-D...item232ee2b3e4

Oops forgot to upload Pic!

Attachment 224651

£27.99 + £4.99PnP

gonna try track down other bits n will post if find em, and Links n prices

Peace
    Last edited by crazycatz2012; 24-09-13 at 12:50 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazycatz2012 For This Useful Post:

2high (25-09-13), Bud Lightyear (24-09-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,866 Times

Quote Originally Posted by thecapn View Post
    The ATC controller is the only bit i will have to pay out of my own pocket so i do apologise, you are correct, it's not cheap, although as the poster said, in terms of price/quality it will win hands down. Although i would recommend avoiding this if you don't have any experience, a tiny bit should be enough but none at all i wouldn't attempt.

A few questions if i may

I see you don't have a sensor wired up, i assume it is built in and the pins are for a seperate more remote sensor if you wish?

Since you need to adjust the variacs manually, i can only assume the controller is a simple on/off at certain temperatures and doesn't adjust the fans speed at all?

Just to clear a few things up for myself and hopefully a few others, cheers again!
    I didn't illustrate the sensor because its self explanatory really. The ATC comes with a sensor on a 2 meter lead.
    It just connects to terminals 5 & 6 on the ATC unit. You can have your unit outside of the grow room and the probe inside.

The way the controller works is.... you set your target temp on the ATC unit lets say 25c
    When the temps are below the set 25c the extraction fan will slow down to a level determined by variac 1 causing the temps to rise.
    When the temps exceed 25c the extraction speeds up to a level determined by variac 2 causing the temps to drop off.
    It continues to cycle like this maintaining optimum temperatures for your growing environment.

You could have a single variac that would just have a settable low idle speed and go full tilt when temps exceed your target.
    With the twin variac you can use a much bigger fan for your extraction and not have it screaming when it goes full tilt.

Regards BL

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Adey1980 (02-01-14), British green (21-06-15), denots (21-02-14), Diddydon (19-11-15), fudge123 (22-07-16), GEORGE (27-12-18), SpongeBongWeedPants (20-01-16), thecapn (24-09-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazycatz2012 View Post
    hi peeps just find this on FleaBay - think its the right one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Local-D...item232ee2b3e4

Oops forgot to upload Pic!

Attachment 224651

£27.99 + £4.99PnP

gonna try track down other bits n will post if find em, and Links n prices

Peace
    Yeah, thats the one mate.

Regards BL

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,399 Times

Good job Bud mate.. if i didnt have an ecotechnics evolution for free i would be all over this
    current grow - a quick run of Power Plant in mapito by Rory B

"How is it that your fucking stupid soon-to-be-dead friends thought they might be able to steal my cannabis and then sell it back to me? Is this a declaration of war? Is this some white cunt's joke that black cunts don't get? 'Cause Im not fucking laughing Ni-ko-las!"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rory Breaker For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (24-09-13), GEORGE (27-12-18)

Thanks

Ah i understand now, i assumed the other variac was for a heater that you weren't using, makes sense now, cheers again for an excellent How-to

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thecapn For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (24-09-13), GEORGE (27-12-18), Rory Breaker (24-09-13)

jimmi420 Guest

Nice bit of DIY`ing m8.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmi420 For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (24-09-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,223 Times

For anyone that thinks they'd never be capable of building one of these, think again. I made one but followed a wiring diagram from another site, my knowledge of electrics extends to wiring a plug and nothing else, I managed to get it up and running first time. Mounting everything in the box is easy, when it comes to the wiring just print the diagram out and tick every connection off as you make it. If it doesn't work, check and check again. If it still doesn't work, blame the OP...

Brilliant tutorial Bud... I wish more people would get away from their horrible whiney sms controllers and learn to love variacs, such marvelous things! Big and chunky too, I like that. Just one thing I wanted to ask, the diagram I used had a couple of fuses, a 1a between the mains supply and the relay, and a 2a between the relay and the fans. I put them in because they were in the diagram but I notice you haven't put any in. Are they needed?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

My (finished 2011) poly greenhouse auto diary:https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1068811588
    My (finished 2011/12) G13 x Lavender giveaway grow:https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1068934441
    My (shit, failed, finished 2012) last ditch Guerilla effort: https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069220259

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timothio For This Useful Post:

British green (21-06-15), Bud Lightyear (24-09-13), GEORGE (27-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timothio View Post
    For anyone that thinks they'd never be capable of building one of these, think again. I made one but followed a wiring diagram from another site, my knowledge of electrics extends to wiring a plug and nothing else, I managed to get it up and running first time. Mounting everything in the box is easy, when it comes to the wiring just print the diagram out and tick every connection off as you make it. If it doesn't work, check and check again. If it still doesn't work, blame the OP...

Brilliant tutorial Bud... I wish more people would get away from their horrible whiney sms controllers and learn to love variacs, such marvelous things! Big and chunky too, I like that. Just one thing I wanted to ask, the diagram I used had a couple of fuses, a 1a between the mains supply and the relay, and a 2a between the relay and the fans. I put them in because they were in the diagram but I notice you haven't put any in. Are they needed?
    I can't see the point in having a fuse @ the relay supply as this would be adequately be covered by a 3 amp fuse in the mains plug.

The ones you mention between the relay and the fans are not need either as the fan plug also has a 3 amp fuse. If you look at mine I have a double socket on the output, this is to run two fans a ruck 180L(high power) for extraction and a ruck 180 (normal power) for intake, so 3 amp fuses will be fine.

It would be a good idea to have 1 amp fuses between the "E" terminal and the relay. I did not include this in the build because I am looking for a trip device to do the job, otherwise will use conventional fuses.

Regards BL

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

British green (21-06-15), GEORGE (27-12-18), Karsa (23-09-17), timothio (25-09-13)

Thanks

Nice build.

I would say don't use a variac on a permanent split phase capacitor type motor like Vortex, Fantech, Canfan or most Centrifugal type inline fans.
    So a fused secondary winding is important to protect from burning out windings.

The relay fuse ain't needed.

Trying to grow 2 beans from Barnies farm with a double bubble box in my toilet.
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=103824

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Percy Greenage For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (24-09-13), GEORGE (27-12-18), Karsa (23-09-17)

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast