Thread: Building my own water/aquafarm and a question about temps

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,844 Times

Default Building my own water/aquafarm and a question about temps

I bought a kit so I can make a waterfarm out of a couple of buckets (3 gal and 5 gal). But it came without any instructions. If you own a waterfarm or aquafarm, you probably know the answer.

#1. There is a feedline support tube that the feedline and airline go into. And that goes thru the bottom of the top bucket into the reservoir. When I drill a hole for it, does it need to be a snug fit to give the tube support? Or can it be pretty loose, and let the rocks hold it in place? I have a 3/4 inch and a 7/8 inch drillbit, and the one in between would be a perfect fit. Should I get the right size, or is it okay for it to be loose in the hole ? Do the pre-drilled systems have a tight fit or loose?

#2. I tried a DWC system a while back, but I had problems I attribute to high temps in the grow room which affected ability of the water to hold oxygen. Is a waterfarm/aquafarm going to have the same temp issues since it is half DWC? Or does the drip/rock part of the system take over and provide backup oxygen to let it be effective at higher temps?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,317 Times

it can be lose but cut the tube at a angle on the bottom to stop it blocking on the bottom on the res

and yes you can get temp trouble with a farm, its not as bad as say a oxypot but basicly it is the same, you can insulate the res which helps, but the best way to go for summer is a chiller

if you have a concrete floor dont insulate the res from the floor cos you can gain chill from the floor
    Last edited by Forest; 11-12-13 at 12:16 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

galt (11-12-13), lousizzle (04-03-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,245 Times

when the water warms, it looses it ability to hold oxygen as well. controlling temps is your best option, either insulate the farms or buy yourself a water chiller.
    Grandad's 40 ounces the easy way(2 plants) critical & ice (aqua farm scrogging)https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...tical-and-ice)
    Beginners guide to aqua/water farming with DWC upgrade https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-Water-farming
    critical and white diesel rdwc https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...Diesel)/page23

FORUM RULES............ please read https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ules-And-Facts!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grandad For This Useful Post:

Forest (11-12-13), galt (11-12-13), lousizzle (04-03-14)

Upton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by galt View Post
    I bought a kit so I can make a waterfarm out of a couple of buckets (3 gal and 5 gal). But it came without any instructions. If you own a waterfarm or aquafarm, you probably know the answer.

#1. There is a feedline support tube that the feedline and airline go into. And that goes thru the bottom of the top bucket into the reservoir. When I drill a hole for it, does it need to be a snug fit to give the tube support? Or can it be pretty loose, and let the rocks hold it in place? I have a 3/4 inch and a 7/8 inch drillbit, and the one in between would be a perfect fit. Should I get the right size, or is it okay for it to be loose in the hole ? Do the pre-drilled systems have a tight fit or loose?

It needs to be snug enough not to allow the medium to fall through, so can be loose if you're using clay balls.

#2. I tried a DWC system a while back, but I had problems I attribute to high temps in the grow room which affected ability of the water to hold oxygen. Is a waterfarm/aquafarm going to have the same temp issues since it is half DWC? Or does the drip/rock part of the system take over and provide backup oxygen to let it be effective at higher temps?

Will you be using air stone to provide DO?.. the drip ring will provide additional DO but not enough IMO. If you don't have a chiller I would use beneficial bacteria to combat high res temperatures... However bennies will block the air stone so you best design the system so you can easily clean the air-stones.
    Why not build a RDWC system for the best of both worlds?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Upton For This Useful Post:

galt (11-12-13), Grandad (11-12-13)

Thanks

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Upton View Post
    Why not build a RDWC system for the best of both worlds?
    I am actually going to use this instead of an airstone. With my well water at EC 1.0, airstones tend to clog in a week or two.

http://shop.modularhydro.com/AIT-9-S...hAITSPIDER.htm

And I MAY build an RDWC system in the future, but this project is to learn about and evaluate the waterfarm/DWC hybrid concept. Just trying to anticipate troubles before they arrive. Any additional warnings appreciated. If the waterfarm buys me 8-10F or 5C before DO gets impacted, that may be enough.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,428 Times

Waterfarms heat the water up when the drip ring is running constant I'm noticing, I'm mean I can lose a litre or two of water over a 18 hour period which I know the 2-3 week old seedling ain't drinking, I prefer my bubblers if I'm honest cos I know my light cannot do any thing to them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindless For This Useful Post:

galt (11-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
    Waterfarms heat the water up when the drip ring is running constant I'm noticing, I'm mean I can lose a litre or two of water over a 18 hour period which I know the 2-3 week old seedling ain't drinking, I prefer my bubblers if I'm honest cos I know my light cannot do any thing to them.
    I have been thinking about covering the rocks and drip ring to block light, algae, and light-induced stone heating. Just leave a little hole for the plant. It would slow evaporation on the stones (which is probably most of the water loss) But could raise the humidity too high inside the root zone and inhibit air flow to the roots. I probably should post it as a thread question and see what others have learned.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to galt For This Useful Post:

Mindless (11-12-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,428 Times

Good call galt, I've been covering the stones with a cut black bin bag but seen condensation build up, there has to be a good way of covering it, might try some GRP sheeting maybe ?

Upton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by galt View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I am actually going to use this instead of an airstone. With my well water at EC 1.0, airstones tend to clog in a week or two.

http://shop.modularhydro.com/AIT-9-S...hAITSPIDER.htm

And I MAY build an RDWC system in the future, but this project is to learn about and evaluate the waterfarm/DWC hybrid concept. Just trying to anticipate troubles before they arrive. Any additional warnings appreciated. If the waterfarm buys me 8-10F or 5C before DO gets impacted, that may be enough.
    That spider thingy doesn't look that impressive and should you need to use bennies it could be harder to clean than and airstone.

Have you considered fluming with a small microjet pump, you can get them with a small venturi built in.

Ref temps: you could encase the farm with some insulation.. we use Kingspan in the UK. Also a slab of concrete under the tub will help keep things cool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
    Good call galt, I've been covering the stones with a cut black bin bag but seen condensation build up, there has to be a good way of covering it, might try some GRP sheeting maybe ?
    But is it a bad thing? I don't know if 100% RH in the root zone is bad or good.

I don't know what GRP is, but I may try a piece of weed barrier fabric at some point. Blocks light (and weed seeds) allows water and air to pass thru (slowly).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to galt For This Useful Post:

Mindless (11-12-13)