Thread: Set Up Check-list - About to buy

Thanks

Default Set Up Check-list - About to buy

OK, so iv been reading and searching for a little over a week and I think Im ready to invest.

I plan on growing just the one plant at a time, auto flowering, probably have to be a low-ryder. (Id be happy to harvest half ounce max, and would only expect that on a good day lol)

Im going with a small stealthy box 480mm (19 inches) square. The box will be coated in 98% reflective material, 2 fans (intake & 80mm extraction). Plus an additional carbon filtered fan. Temp & Humidity meter & lights timer.

Lighting: this is obviously the most important thing, so Iv decided to go with 1 CFL Maxibright bulb (HPS sound too dangerous for small spaces and Im only growing small). Would you recommend 125w or 250w (keeping in mind that space is limited)?

I also read that PH levels are important. I will be using a recommended "light" Fertilizer but only after a few weeks, making the mix slightly stronger as weeks go by. I will also use rain water, left to stand for 24 hours, but again making sure I do not over-water. Will I need a PH level reader?

Id be grateful to hear some opinions/suggestions on this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to karmacronicle For This Useful Post:

Duke1 (16-12-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,303 Times

hi karma it sounds a little small so may be a squeeze getting a big cfl bulb in,i use a cfl multi bulb unit which only makes 96w but being multiple light sources it gives better coverage than one of the large cfls and uses less electric i use mixed spectrum of bulbs and it works great theres pics on my fans of the wardrobe thread in my sig,a ph meter in soil using rainwater isnt essential but if you use tapwater its a good idea to correct ph if your able.most info you need can be found by reading the stickys in the novice section,if you get stuck just post on my fans thread and we see if we can help,good luck.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duke1 For This Useful Post:

Eddie1z (17-12-13), karmacronicle (16-12-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times

Quote Originally Posted by karmacronicle View Post
    Lighting: this is obviously the most important thing, so Iv decided to go with 1 CFL Maxibright bulb (HPS sound too dangerous for small spaces and Im only growing small). Would you recommend 125w or 250w (keeping in mind that space is limited)?
    300 Watts

Or, 150 Watts of HPS would be good.

This might be useful: http://is.gd/easylamp

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,844 Times

What kind of medium and system? If this is s soil grow, you do not need a pH kit.

And even 100 watts of HPS would be enough. for that small space.

And if in dirt, look into airpots.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to galt For This Useful Post:

karmacronicle (16-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by galt View Post
    What kind of medium and system? If this is s soil grow, you do not need a pH kit.

And even 100 watts of HPS would be enough. for that small space.

And if in dirt, look into airpots.
    Yes I will be using Soil at first (A decent one), might change further down the line. Thanks for the airpot recommendation, I will get myself a couple.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to karmacronicle For This Useful Post:

galt (16-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duke1 View Post
    hi karma it sounds a little small so may be a squeeze getting a big cfl bulb in,i use a cfl multi bulb unit which only makes 96w but being multiple light sources it gives better coverage than one of the large cfls and uses less electric i use mixed spectrum of bulbs and it works great theres pics on my fans of the wardrobe thread in my sig,a ph meter in soil using rainwater isnt essential but if you use tapwater its a good idea to correct ph if your able.most info you need can be found by reading the stickys in the novice section,if you get stuck just post on my fans thread and we see if we can help,good luck.
    Yes space is an issue for me, but I will be using every technique in the book to keep the plant low (except cutting its head off). with the 250w I will lose another inch but Iv heard low ryder's are short so I will try one of them first. With the reflective material, the light should penetrate the whole plant, but of course this is all theory until I actually grow something lol

Do you use different bulbs for the veg stage, because u said ur using dual spectrum so I wasn't sure it you could get away with start to finish?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to karmacronicle For This Useful Post:

Duke1 (16-12-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,303 Times

hi my lamp has 6 bulbs which i change as required between mostly red or mostly blue just using household cfls there cheap its running with 3 of each and seems to work well for veg and the first month of flower then i use 250w hps till the chop.good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by karmacronicle View Post
    Yes space is an issue for me, but I will be using every technique in the book to keep the plant low (except cutting its head off). with the 250w I will lose another inch but Iv heard low ryder's are short so I will try one of them first. With the reflective material, the light should penetrate the whole plant, but of course this is all theory until I actually grow something lol

Do you use different bulbs for the veg stage, because u said ur using dual spectrum so I wasn't sure it you could get away with start to finish?

Thanks

Do you have to worry about rf singals with your 250 watt ballast. I just have been reading the 600 watt ipower I ordered does. Did not want to spend a fortune on something I'm just trying.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by redroadster43 View Post
    Do you have to worry about rf singals with your 250 watt ballast. I just have been reading the 600 watt ipower I ordered does. Did not want to spend a fortune on something I'm just trying.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
    Build a small Faraday cage & place it inside....
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

15. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

redroadster43 (13-04-16)

Thanks

In my grow box? Its 3x3x5
    I will go search thank you very much.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk