Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SilverSlims LST/Training Guide

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,065 Times

Default SilverSlims LST/Training Guide

Hey THC Talkers just thought that I would put up a thread on how I train my plants

Nothing I'm posting is new and every thing I've learnt is from this forum so I might as well give it all back

Right before I start this is all done in a DR90 tent which is 90cm x 90cm x 180cm. So once extraction and carbon filter is fitted along with a 400w HPS you don't have to much space height wise so its impossible to get a decent harvest with out doing some sort of training.

This is just one way of filling that space and should get you near the GPW whether your in soil, coco or hydro. FYI I grow in soil. Ill post a few more ways on how I train my plants on another day but for now I will start off with a simple 4 plant 6 week veg grow

Quick list of things I do.

Veg plant to the 5th node then Top (Remove its head). (this is entirely up to the grower which node they top but you want to keep the plants short, say roughly below 15cm tall.)
    Open out all branches using LST (Low Stress Training)(I use stiff electrical cable (2.5mm twin and earth) which I make a hook on each end, one to hook onto the rim of the pot and one to hook on to the stems of the plant)
    Super Cropping (Pinch the stem and let it flop down) (any branches that I cant get a wire onto)
    Defoliation - I know plants need leaves but I'm not growing big leaves that shade nodes/tops I'm growing colas/branches ready for flower which will have they're own fan leaves .
    Then a little more LST before going 12/12 at 6 weeks

On this occasion I let my plants reach the 6th nodes before topping them.

Here's what I done to my Royal Queen Amnesia Haze a few days after topping. I opened out all the branches so each one was in the light as best as possible but the top half was shading a lot of the nodes so I gently bent it over and hooked it to the rim of the pot. This is done to all four plants to fill my space.

Here she is after recovering from the LST

I then removed all the fan leaves off the main stem so it looked like this

I then let her recover and grow upwards a bit, opening her up bit by bit with LST until she filled her pot. Also keeping all tops evenly spaced keeping a flat canopy.
    As I said above this was a four plant grow so I stopped training her at this point and flipped to 12/12 at 6weeks from seed.

After two weeks 12/12

Day 26 12/12

Amnesia about 60 days 12/12

Amnesia's Stem during flower

Then here is all of them after two weeks 12/12

And All of them at about 39 days 12/12

This grow was about 380g dry all in all

I hope some one finds this thread useful and any questions please ask away
    btw ill put a post together like this but using one plant to fill the space instead of four in a few days.

Thanks for anyone looking.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to SilverSlim For This Useful Post:

2Acres (01-01-14), AND (22-02-18), bmorris86 (27-02-15), BobMarle (27-01-14), ButtyBach (27-03-17), ChuChu (01-01-14), CockneyDevil (14-07-14), HazeyGav (18-10-15), lipnobody (17-11-17), NitroBurns (15-01-14), Northern (18-12-16), Pink_tiger (15-01-14), red eye knight (31-12-13), shadrack (17-03-14), Superdry (10-10-14), tattoodragon74 (05-06-15), THE DUDE ABIDES (31-12-13), tlh2496 (17-03-14), Zip (01-01-14)

stephen07 Guest

Great read slim

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stephen07 For This Useful Post:

SilverSlim (01-01-14)

GoTgReEn Guest

Well done mate!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GoTgReEn For This Useful Post:

SilverSlim (01-01-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,865 Times

Nice one bro , happy new year Slim

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zip For This Useful Post:

SilverSlim (01-01-14)

mellowed Guest

Good thread mate.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mellowed For This Useful Post:

SilverSlim (01-01-14)

Thanks

Thanks alot for the info, that clears a few point up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ohyesplease For This Useful Post:

SilverSlim (01-01-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,087 Times

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Acres For This Useful Post:

SilverSlim (01-01-14)

Thanks

One Plant in the DR90

Hey peeps this is how I train one big plant to fill my 90x90x180 space. Using all the techniques listed in the above post.

Firstly it starts off with two plants as they were reg beans but both had same treatment up until I sexed them.

Topped at the 3rd Node this time round. Then removed the Top Two Fan Leaves as they were blocking light to the nodes.

You now want to leave them recover from topping and they should then look something like this (6 days after topping)

I then started to LST two days later. I tied down each side branch to the rim of the pot, removing or tucking any fan leaves that were shading nodes/tops. (PS they are in odd pots due to running out of soil half ways through potting up)

Four days later they had recovered but I moved the odd top into a better position to grow upwards, also allowing nodes on the same branch then to grow upwards.

Here they are another Four days later.
    Plant 2 will only be showed now as she was the fem.
    As you can see I have spaced out all branches evenly and also allowed a few nodes off each branch to grow up to canopy level creating more tops

Right this is were some of you will start thinking this is a bit brutal lol.
    I trimmed off all her big fan leaves and left my self with all the nodes and branches in full view of the lamp, yes she looks a little straggly but I assure you she will perk up and bush out again! I also had to tie her down again as I potted her up into a 11L. So again just make sure each branch/top has its own space and you've got a relatively even canopy.

Here's how she looked a few days later

Now I let her grow upwards and fill out for another couple of days then done a bit of super cropping, lst and defoliation of any leaves blocking nodes or tops.
    Ps I only super crop the branches that I cant get a wire onto. Normally the nodes nearer the new growth.

I then left her grow upwards and bush out once again by her self, this is 8 days later.

Left for another 5 days then a little LST and Super Cropping to stop tops shading any other nodes/branches, as you can see she is bushing out nicely now and taking shape to the tent.

Then left for another 4 days

As she's a tad bushy for my liking I decided to open her up again, so I potted her up into a 20L airpot and tied down all her branches to the rim of the pot, super cropping any side branches I couldn't get a tie onto and then finally trimming off any leaves that were shading nodes/tops.

How she looked the next day, starting to come along nicely, my aim is to get her to fill the veg tent side ways, then let her grow up a bit so when she goes into the flower tent and is opened up she should fill It nicely

Another five days later and I had to open her out again using LST, Super Cropping and Defoliation.

Then three days later she still seamed a little bushy for my liking so I opened her out some more and trimmed off some more leaves.

How she looked Five days later once she had recovered. She is 12 weeks old on this pic but is still being grown under a 125w CFL hence slow growth.

A week later she had bushed out again and the canopy wasn't too even so I super cropped a few branches into beter positions and done some LST to level her out (just pull the branches down a little further)

After super crop

Flat Canopy

Decided to raise the light and let her grow upwards a bit so when she goes into flower her branches are long enough to open out.

As you can see there's a bit of a pattern going on, I simply LST, SuperCrop and defoliate, let her recover and do the same again, each time she gets wider and wider, then once she's filled your space let her grow upwards a bit

I then repotted her ready for flower, so I opened her out some more with lst and super cropping then removed some fan leaves to get some nodes/tops/branches out of the shade.

Before

After

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SilverSlim For This Useful Post:

BobMarle (27-01-14), ChuChu (01-01-14), gohtee (14-06-14), Zip (02-01-14)

Thanks

Recovery a few days later

I then let her grow upwards for a few more days so she would be ready to be opened out for flower.

Now 10 days later she's in the flower tent, and is going to have some of her last training done before going to 12/12.
    Super cropping, LST to hold super cropping in place and a bit of defoliation.

After four days Recovery she is switched to 12/12

I then trained her a little through the stretch using LST to keep her canopy level and evenly spaced out. After two weeks 12/12 (Excuse slight bleaching of leaves)

As she was so bushy and hadn't stretched as much as I liked I had to give her a little trim during flower, which I don't normally like to do.

And that's pretty much it, here's her after she had finished stretching.

And here she at about 45 days 12/12

Hope some one finds this helpful and any questions please ask away

She's still flowering btw so don't know dry yield.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SilverSlim For This Useful Post:

gohtee (26-06-14), HazeyGav (18-10-15), Royston81 (23-09-18)

Thanks

Cheers for the feed back guys glad you could follow, I sorta ramble on sometimes..start confusing people then lol and making things a bit more complicated than they should be

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast