Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calcium toxicity with hard water ???

Thanks

Question Answered: Calcium toxicity with hard water ???

Had a few problems on latest grow with what i thought was mag def and has also happened on a previous grow,but i now think it maybe that my water is so hard 7.7 outta tap and then when left for 24 hours it rises to 8.5 after adding bloom nutes it falls to 6.7-6.8,checked me run-off coming out at 6.5-6.6 but still having problems and am now wondering if its because of the hardness of the water there is way to much calcium in the soil,yellowing,necrosis and crispy clawing leaves are the symptoms ANY IDEAS ???

2. "ive had sth that might be the same as you, after much researching:
    i found out my home water turned out to have to much cal (water supply came from lime stone bed rock) to much cal which in turn will lock out mg and you will get mg def in every grow(strain dependent)

i grew active hydro and passive hydro coco and hempy buckets, same problem every time was tiny brown spotting on leaves is that the same as you ?

my back ground ec was sth like .7/.8

so chucking calmag at it wont do anything but prob make it worse ,this i found out after chucking epsoms and then i bought a liter of calmag still got the problem

so i decided to buy a ro unit 60 quid from ebay and it fits under the sink( if needed) and you can have it so you can turn it on and off my water from the unit was zero ec and it changed my growing no more problems of that nature

you will need nutes for soft water but you can still use the hard water nutes, but you will need to add cal mag to them best nutes ive used are dutch master gold range simple and great results,

once you start with RO water (pure) you have so much more control over your growing and no chemicals that you dont want in there

hope that helps
    Forest

my water was 6,9 ph out of the tap and rose to 7.9 after a few hours which is the co2 leaving the water much more stable after its been stood

for now can i suggest that you ph down lower then you are doing, you will improve things a bit by doing that 5.8-6.0 for dirt and 5.3-5,5 for hydro will help"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojogreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,924 Times
    Provided Answers: 35

My water ph is 7 , do you correct it with ph down ??
    What's the ec of your tap water ,??

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr Plough For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-02-20), mojogreen (23-01-14)

Thanks

Hi Dr Plough, yes i do ph down meself if i need to,i use canna organic ph down,dont know the ec of my water have not got the means to check it either,have used epsom salts in this grow but still having the def as above,just thought it might be a calcium overload from the hard water maybe ??? thanks for the reply

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mojogreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,317 Times
    Provided Answers: 40

ive had sth that might be the same as you, after much researching:
    i found out my home water turned out to have to much cal (water supply came from lime stone bed rock) to much cal which in turn will lock out mg and you will get mg def in every grow(strain dependent)

i grew active hydro and passive hydro coco and hempy buckets, same problem every time was tiny brown spotting on leaves is that the same as you ?

my back ground ec was sth like .7/.8

so chucking calmag at it wont do anything but prob make it worse ,this i found out after chucking epsoms and then i bought a liter of calmag still got the problem

so i decided to buy a ro unit 60 quid from ebay and it fits under the sink( if needed) and you can have it so you can turn it on and off my water from the unit was zero ec and it changed my growing no more problems of that nature

you will need nutes for soft water but you can still use the hard water nutes, but you will need to add cal mag to them best nutes ive used are dutch master gold range simple and great results,

once you start with RO water (pure) you have so much more control over your growing and no chemicals that you dont want in there

hope that helps
    Forest

my water was 6,9 ph out of the tap and rose to 7.9 after a few hours which is the co2 leaving the water much more stable after its been stood

for now can i suggest that you ph down lower then you are doing, you will improve things a bit by doing that 5.8-6.0 for dirt and 5.3-5,5 for hydro will help
    Last edited by Forest; 23-01-14 at 06:41 PM.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-02-20), mojogreen (23-01-14), THE DUDE ABIDES (24-01-14)

Thanks

Cheers forset,mate of mine suggested a bit of dolomite lime in the soil mix a few weeks before planting may help the soil sort the problem of cal/mag,would like an ro unit will have a look around cheers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mojogreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-02-20)

Thanks

well more cal from the dol lime might make it worse, if it is indeed mg lock out from to much cal ,

for me lowing the ph a bit did help, are you dirt farming or hydro? , im not really a dirt farmer done a bit with other types of plants and ph dont seem to mater in a organic type grow

perhaps some one thats good on dirt will be able to help , but from what you say i think its the same as i had and the great thing about using ro water is the total control you will then have in your future growing

you can check out the make up of you tap water if you look on the suppliers web site might show just how high the cal levels are

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just checked the water company's charts and the calcium is off the charts and have the white rings in kettle and taps and sinks so i reckon the water here is rock hard lol,calcium levels
    are mg/l as calcium carbonate is 424-474 and mg/l as calcium is 170-190 which is the highest on the pdf chart for my water company GREAT lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mojogreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-02-20)

Thanks

yes looks like you would have a big benefit from a ro unit, i swear by them they do waste a lot of water but i just put that in a water butt and used it in the garden in the summer and in the winter let it go down the drain

i wasnt on a water meter so it didnt mater to much that they waste a fair bit of water i think it sth like 40%

check them out i got mine from a ebay fish pond shop

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Anyone else had the same problems and tackled it in a different way,I like the ro solution but is there any other ways of correcting this problem,am in soil by the way ANY IDEAS WELCOME

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mojogreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times
    Provided Answers: 187

It may be that you have temporary hardness.

If you have, boiling the water will remove some of it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-02-20), mojogreen (24-01-14)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast