Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NFT set up thread,

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,053 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyman View Post
    lift the kingspan set the pebbles where you want the cubes. put the cubes on the pebbles
    Nice guide bud, just out of interest why do you raise the rockwool cubes, I've never tried that, I just have the rockwool sat straight on the mat with no problems

Do you think it makes any difference?? Might give it a go myself

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vador For This Useful Post:

dogman (04-09-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), Oxy (12-08-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 34,377 Times

Thumbs up

hello Vador, thanks tbo that's how ive always done it.. i was told it stops the cube getting saturated, i believe yes it makes a difference .. but never tried letting the cubes sit on the mat..

Quote Originally Posted by Vador View Post
    Nice guide bud, just out of interest why do you raise the rockwool cubes, I've never tried that, I just have the rockwool sat straight on the mat with no problems

Do you think it makes any difference?? Might give it a go myself

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

dogman (04-09-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), MacFeegle (28-01-15), Vador (12-08-14)

Thanks

look forward to seeing it filled with roots, and look forward to the diary atb m8

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeface View Post
    Thanks very much Oxyman.

I just bought my small NFT kit and will be getting it running in the next few days.

Smokeface

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

dogman (04-09-14), GEORGE (04-03-20)

Thanks

Nice guide oxy. Comes at a good time for me as my next grow will be in nft- just waiting for the plants to root their cubes.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to docsutton21 For This Useful Post:

dogman (04-09-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), Oxy (31-08-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,352 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
    hello Vador, thanks tbo that's how ive always done it.. i was told it stops the cube getting saturated, i believe yes it makes a difference .. but never tried letting the cubes sit on the mat..
    I've never done it either but I do know of one other benefit: The cubes won't come into contact with your nutrient solution meaning your PH won't be affected.

Rockwool naturally raises your PH level a couple of points which is why we set the level to 5.5. This allows for that rise & brings you nicely to the sweet spot of 5.7/5.8.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

dogman (27-05-17), GEORGE (04-03-20), Oxy (05-07-15)

ganjagunman Guest

I always soak my larger rockwool cubes overnight in ph5.5 water. Ive found a quick dunk or 5 min soak isnt enough and for the first week in the res im chasing my tail with the PH, set it to 5.5 the following morning its in the low 6's seems a lot more stable from the off when theyre soaked in PH'd water before the starter cubes are added

I also sit my blocks on tile spacers gives the roots a chance to grow into the mat rather than having a completely soaked block, and always make sure that the grooves in the bottom of the block run inline with the flow of water

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ganjagunman For This Useful Post:

dogman (09-08-15), Oxy (05-07-15)

Thanks

Great thread, I look forward to using these hints and tips in my first NFT grow in a few months time.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weedeatingrat For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-03-20), Oxy (18-07-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,829 Times

Thanks for this oxy im gonna try this next now i think

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Budbomb For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-03-20), Oxy (16-09-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Budbomb View Post
    Thanks for this oxy im gonna try this next now i think
    get it all dialed in, you won't find an easier growing method, IMO, as long as set up right and good res temps. failing this it can go tits up fast.. go get um champ

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

Budbomb (17-09-15), GEORGE (04-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
    i noticed didn't have one , m. i can't match yours but this is mine...

hello so you wanna run NFT great choice, pat on the back for trying.. IMO NFT is the easiest hydro system to run.. perfect for the hydro noob!!..as we all are when we start something new.

so your plants are in the small rockwool cubes, and the small rockwool cubes are in the big 4" cubes, and hopefully you have been dipping and squeezing into a nute mix. like ec 0.4 ph 5.8.. and have established rootage outt the bottom of the cube.. WHOOP WHOOP!!.. you done well getting this far fucking hate germing..

in the kit... you should have a small bit of hose. this it to empty out the ress come ress change.. you should be doing this every week without fail.. granted there will be people who will say you can run them for 2 weeks .. this is my view sorry chap. i just think as of rule of thumb get into doing weekly ress changes ... fresh is always best..

PUMP . attach the pipe/spout on the pump. may come with air pipe attachment i just attach and leave the screw knob bit open , think this just to let air get sucked in, take the small sponge outta the bottom of the pump. as its not needed.. but think i would leave in place if you are using the small 205 systems .. roots will reach the pump..

SPREADER MAT..
    Every NFT system needs Spreader Mat to ensure an even spread of water and nutrients across plant roots.

ok lets get to it..

i would do a dry run first !! just run the system for 24hours just to see what you are dealing with .. and can tweak anything that may need tweaking.. like ress temp issues

once all dialed i that's all you do is sit back and and watch them grow.. just maintain ress temps of 16c-22c . i was told 18c is the best spot as that's where you get more dissolved oxygen, as long as it does,nt go over 23 then your in danger of pythium..big problem.root rot.... i use 500ml frozen bottles to keep temps sweet .. last year was hot and i was replacing 4x500ml bottles every say 8 hour ... i know they don't stay frozen for longer than 10 mins but it works.. and i think low ec is key..

i cable tie my top tray to the bottom, lost the nuts..

i also use a kingspan lid for better insulation from the light . i use the 30mm thick stuff. i find the correx sheet that come with the system is shit.. so do your self a favor and sling the fucker. well keep it could come in handy for blocking light in the window or something ..

i also use i maxi jet 1000 to pump out the water on ress change day. this lets you keep the pump that comes with the system in place.. as they are not that powerful and take ages to drain the system,. so i recommend the maxi jet 1000.

so first off you are looking to raise the pump end of the tanks, thus stops pooling of the nutes and you don't want stagnant water, no! no!..

this time around i used 1" thick piece of timber for the back end and 2" for the front . for the trays to sit on... if i need few more mm i top up the front with roadl dahl books..

so just lay the spreader mat that comes with the system, on to the top tray. Cut lengths of spreader mat long enough to allow an overhang of a few inches from the channel into the tank. No trickling water sounds!

attatch the pumps and put in place , if you have a thumb bar to turn the pump up set this on 1/2 .. turn up later on when rootage has been established.

king span lit on i use weights on every corner to keep the kingspan warping or moving.

so i use me level. its always a good sign when you know the trays are set.

so that's it for now till the water has been left to sit for 24 hours.. to let the chlorine dissipate. nornally i would be making my nute mixes in 2x 20ltrs buckets. but as the water is in the trays i will be adding the nutes tomorrow. as its pointless using different water.. so this is where the maxi jet 1000 comes in handy..

sit the pump on its side, so that the water is whoooshing up to the back making a circular motion this will help mix the nutes ....DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF THE PUMP IF ADDING ACIDS TO THE NFT YOU DON'T WANT THE ACIDS GOING STRAIGHT UP THE PUMP TO THE ROOTS.. sorry for the caps but don't do it.
    Amazeballs Oxy gonna keep this in mind, gonna make you all proud lol, its an ace article Oxy very helpful and informative x

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nftnewbiexx For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-03-20), Oxy (06-04-16)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast