Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ventilation - The basics

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,106 Times

Great thread jesse. . Sticky??

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leftfootriteshoe For This Useful Post:

Jesse Pinkman (07-08-14), My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,323 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning View Post
    Useful post, thanks man. I have only just installed my ducting but it has way too many bends in it already. It's also very noisy. I have an RVK that is rated for a bigger tent than the one I have just replaced. Stupid question time: Do I need a speed controller to turn the fan speed down?!

Cheers
    Hiya mate. Yeah bud less bends the better for airflow and noise has you have found out lol. Yeah if u just simply plug your fan in to mains it will just run on full tilt mate, wire it in via a fan speed controller and you can turn the speed down to suit the best compramise of airflow/noise. I love RVK's mate great fans. Yeah if its to moves to much air than required you would deffo benifit from a proper controller.
    Check out buds guide to a diy controller, ive got one myself and can seriously vouch for it mate its a great piece of kit:

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...eed-Controller

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Pinkman For This Useful Post:

BadMF (09-02-15), Cunning (07-08-14), My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15), She's-a-Lady (21-12-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,551 Times

Uh oh...not too good with a soldering iron! I might just drop some notes on a RAM controller. My 6" fan is pulling 600m3/hour an is turning my 1.2x1.2x1.8m tent inside-out! Temps are cooling off now as well so need to turn it down! Fan itself is nice and quiet but too many bends in my ducting are creating quite a rush. I'll have to mount the fan outside the tent I think as it's a real tight squeeze in there with the 50cm Mountain Air filter. On the plus side I got comfy in the tent last night and had a smoke. No smell whatsoever. Awesome

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

Jesse Pinkman (07-08-14), My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15)

Thanks

Ha thats always the true test mate havin a good few smoke in there! U dont need soldering iron to make buds mate just abit of diy thats all.
    There is some good off the shelf ones i believe, u need a variac controlled one mate as the cheap shit ones will make ur fan humm like a bastard when u slow the speed down unlike the variac controlled ones which are silent. Cant honestly hear any buzzing at all off mine mate just the air movement noise and thats it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse Pinkman For This Useful Post:

My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leftfootriteshoe View Post
    Great thread jesse. . Sticky??
    Cheers mate, thats a few sticky requests now lol

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Pinkman For This Useful Post:

leftfootriteshoe (07-08-14), My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Jesse Pinkman (07-08-14), KieranH (18-01-18), leftfootriteshoe (07-08-14), lousizzle (28-12-14), My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15), M_C (08-08-14), Oxy (07-08-14), PJR71 (08-08-14), She's-a-Lady (21-12-14), vibezfoundation (28-04-20)

Thanks

Cheers Bud! My first sticky

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Pinkman For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (07-08-14), My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15), M_C (08-08-14), Oxy (07-08-14), vibezfoundation (28-04-20)

Thanks

As lord and overseer of your first sticky I feel I should inform you that my shiny new ram air pro speed controller is doing a horrible job! When the thermostat is below the set temperature, there is a buzzing sound that is louder than the fast at max speed. For a controller of £110/$170 it's not really too good..! Please put in big bold letters you need a variac as you already told me haha! To be fair it seems this thing is designed for intake / extract, and seeing as I only have passive intake it might be to do with this. Not good though, will try and return to the shop tomorrow.

Cheers!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

Jesse Pinkman (08-08-14), My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning View Post
    As lord and overseer of your first sticky I feel I should inform you that my shiny new ram air pro speed controller is doing a horrible job! When the thermostat is below the set temperature, there is a buzzing sound that is louder than the fast at max speed. For a controller of £110/$170 it's not really too good..! Please put in big bold letters you need a variac as you already told me haha! To be fair it seems this thing is designed for intake / extract, and seeing as I only have passive intake it might be to do with this. Not good though, will try and return to the shop tomorrow.

Cheers!
    Lmao ha! Yeah get your money back dude YOU NEED A VARIAC CONTROLLED ONE lol. Would do the same on extraction or intake mate what those cheap controllers do is when you turn your fan speed down on them instaed of actualy dropping power to fan correctly they slowly pulse the power to fan to get the same result which makes the fans scream whilst speed is lowerd as you have found out, where as a variac controlled one actually drops the voltage correctly so doesnt make a whisper.

Atb mate

Jesse

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Pinkman For This Useful Post:

Cunning (09-08-14), My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15)

Thanks

There is quite a price difference for the Variac controllers! I have 2 options. There is a cheap Variac fan going for 60 quid. It is not auto adjusting so I'd have to keep on top of temps etc. Also a bit concerned why it is so cheap. I've been burned in the past by buying cheap shit so I am now a bit wary. On the other end of the scale, I 'could' buy an SMSCON Hybrid controller. This seems to get belter reviews but it's just so very expensive.

In my tent I had a 90 degree bend between filter and fan. Now I've straightened this out it is a lot quieter but the buzzing is still horrendous! I can only use it on min fan speed but this is barely enough to provide negative pressure. It's got to go. Shame as these digital ones look great!
    Too weird to live, too rare to die

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cunning For This Useful Post:

Jesse Pinkman (09-08-14), My Tent Or Yours (14-04-15)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast