Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bud Lightyear's Guide To Cuttings

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,381 Times

Hello Bud, this is invaluable mate as I am having a little trouble I think. I've not worked with cuts before and I have noticed that from the first round of cuts, the stems are always reddy purple and they feel very hard and woody. Is this due to something I'm not doing right or is the stem purple because I took the cuts in bloom. Apart from that everyone is saying they look healthy as there is nothing wrong with the leaves etc.. Fantastic rootmass there mate, I might give those jiffy's a go!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The-Limey-Digit For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (29-10-14), GEORGE (13-09-20)

Thanks

What age was the plant you took them From Bud?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bustergonads For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (29-10-14), GEORGE (13-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by The-Limey-Digit View Post
    Hello Bud, this is invaluable mate as I am having a little trouble I think. I've not worked with cuts before and I have noticed that from the first round of cuts, the stems are always reddy purple and they feel very hard and woody. Is this due to something I'm not doing right or is the stem purple because I took the cuts in bloom. Apart from that everyone is saying they look healthy as there is nothing wrong with the leaves etc.. Fantastic rootmass there mate, I might give those jiffy's a go!!
    Cheers mate...I like to take my cuttings from fresh soft newish growth, as long as the limb has a few leaves on it then is good for a cutting weather ist in flower of not...Purple stems are usually associated with strain of plant that have been in a cold environment.. Flowering cuttings tend to take a little longer to root and sometimes throw out some crazy looking leaves once they have rooted and go through the reveg process..

Quote Originally Posted by Bustergonads View Post
    What age was the plant you took them From Bud?
    Hi mate...The first lot of cuttings came from a mother that had been in my garden for a while, back in the summer. Probably about 6 weeks old. The cuttings in post #30 are cuttings from the ones in post #1

Regards BL

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Bustergonads (29-10-14), GEORGE (13-09-20), The-Limey-Digit (29-10-14), Thing (12-12-17), woodstocknation (24-10-16)

Thanks

Thank you Bud, after reading this I think I might be worrying over nothing. lol. Apart from the stems they're growing as normal so I think it probably is temp related.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The-Limey-Digit For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (30-10-14), GEORGE (13-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,716 Times

Great guide Bud,

Will be turning to this in the new year fo sho

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

scoobyvince Guest

great stuff Bud thanks from a nooby like me.
    I have a question though. When I was a kid, I used to watch my gran taking cuttings of various plants for her garden. She used to simply put the cuttings in a glass of water and cover the glass all round so no light would get in and they wee plants rooted. Is it possible to do the same with weed? Can you just pop them into water till roots start showing?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scoobyvince For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (30-10-14), Jesse Pinkman (03-11-14), Robbie red hat (29-10-14), The-Limey-Digit (30-10-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyvince View Post
    I have a question though. When I was a kid, I used to watch my gran taking cuttings of various plants for her garden. She used to simply put the cuttings in a glass of water and cover the glass all round so no light would get in and they wee plants rooted. Is it possible to do the same with weed? Can you just pop them into water till roots start showing?
    Yeah I grew up witnessing the same approach. No idea if it works for our mutual friend though

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robbie red hat For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (30-10-14), GEORGE (13-09-20), Jesse Pinkman (03-11-14)

Thanks

Hello Scoob. I think it is possible mate as you can root them without the clonex. I think it just takes longer to root which is why we use the gel,to speed up the process.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The-Limey-Digit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyvince View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie red hat View Post
    Yeah I grew up witnessing the same approach. No idea if it works for our mutual friend though
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Limey-Digit View Post
    Hello Scoob. I think it is possible mate as you can root them without the clonex. I think it just takes longer to root which is why we use the gel,to speed up the process.
    Yeah you can no problem... Some folks use an aeroponic propagator just for this method.....

Regards BL

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-09-20), The-Limey-Digit (30-10-14)

Thanks

Nice forum buzz. Im trying a little bit of cloning myself. I'm using miracle gro fast root dry powdering. I hope turn out as good as yours. Thx for your fantastic demonstration.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kushedout86 For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (02-11-14), GEORGE (13-09-20)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast